Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Hershey 15 weeks old and FEMALE!! She humps toys her size and bigger. Smaller toys she doesn't. Is this normal??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's not sexual. It is a dominance behavior. She is feeling dominant over her toy and wanting to be the "top dog". If you don't want her to do it, either remove the offending toy or clap your hands and say NO when she does it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Some people don't mind their pups humping away and think it's funny. I personally don't tolerate that behavior, so whenever I saw Brody doing it - I'd just clap my hands and say NO. He quickly learned not to do it. He hasn't done it in a long long time, although I did see him sneak a hump in on the cat when he thought I wasn't looking!!!! Bad boy!! LOL.

It's definitely just a way of showing dominance. It can be tamped down a little with neutering or spaying, but many altered dogs will do it just because of the dominance factor. Especially for a puppy, it is behavioral - not sexual. They just have all that energy and what a way to expend it. ;) So just let her know what the boundaries are and what you will and won't tolerate. Just a loud NO and then distract her with a toy or something else to do. She'll learn quickly.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yep, Gretel did that as well with one toy in particular - it was larger than she was.

I just did the loud no and clap she eventually got it, my OH did NOT believe she was humping and he said I was seeing things till she did it out of nowhere in front of him.

We haven't had any humps out of our boy yet, fingers crossed.

They're both fixed as well.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It's not sexual. It is a dominance behavior. She is feeling dominant over her toy and wanting to be the "top dog". If you don't want her to do it, either remove the offending toy or clap your hands and say NO when she does it.
This is exactly right, also its not just chi females that do this, all breeds can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OH mY......
This is very very common behavior.
it is NOT about SEX or about dominance although it can sometimes be a sort of acting...
IT FEELS GOOD !!!!!!!!! Just like it does for little kids until we tell them it is nasty or dirty....
Just remove the toy, DON"T make a big deal about it, and it will not be a problem.
We are learning so much about dog behavior. I feel sorry for all the behaviors dogs get pigeoned into !!! DONT WORRY !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We used to have a female Golden retriever that did this, but only to one of my son's friends. The poor little guy couldn't even play out in our back yard without getting humped. She never did it to anyone else, or anything else.

Gracie does this occasionally. She'll hump my arm, the covers on the bed, Pedro's head...Whatever is available...And it's always in the midst of heavy duty rough housing...They will be playing really hard and all of a sudden she'll go into hump mode. Pedro will peep out from under her with this "Really, Mom???" expression. It's all I can do to make her get off instead of laughing at her, but I do it. Usually a stern "No" will do the trick.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Both of my chi`s hump their toys!! Lola was spayed in dec and she hasnt done it since but Penny humps her winnie the pooh bear all the time!!
Im getting her spayed soon hopefully she`ll stop it aswell!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bailey has one toy that she has humped since she was 9 weeks old(she is 4 1/2 now). She does not try to hump people or the other dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts