Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is a really tiny chi. (2.5lbs) and is 1 1/2. She has never been a big eater but likes things like bananas and other weird stuff. So her appetite has always been ok. I have another Chi who is bigger (about 7-8 pounds) and he used to be my picky one. When I got the little girl she was on Orijen puppy and did great. So I tried the big one on that and he hated it. (big waste of $$ on that bag of food). He wasn't eating, was not happy with the new dog and eventually we switched to Royal Canin Chihuahua, as at least big dog would eat that. Both seemed happy.

So, fast forward to today. Maya (little girl) is really thin; long legs but skinny. I was going on a long trip today with her to pick up a new puppy with a friend of mine (Maya's cousin). I put food out in the morning and noted that she didnt' eat. Sniffed it and walked away. I packed some food and water and all day she had no interest in it at all. Sniffed and walked away. Even if I took one kibble in my hand, no go. She would, however try to eat MY food (didn't elt her). Tonight when we got home, I thought maybe she was stressed (although didn't think so) about the long trip, so put her in her gated area where it was quiet with a bowl of food and water. Again, no go. I cut up a treat into little bits and mixed it in the food. She picked those out and wouldn't touch the rest. Her teeth appear ok and she will eat other crunchy people food if I let her.

So, (sorry for the long story) I am looking for a good food that she will actually eat. After picking up the puppy Maya looked really thin to me. Kind of startling really. Thanks in advance.
Tricia

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good luck! My Tifa is the same way, very boney, and not a lot of muscle mass. She is 3lbs and should be 3.5-4lbs. She is obsessive with people food, but will slowly eat her dog food when shes fed.

We are currently doing blood work on her to rule out any medical reasons.

Good luck, hope some others have any ideas. x

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
She sounds like she is fussy and she may not want to eat that food anymore. Until you sort out her kibble aversion I'd go ahead and cook her up something or feed her some things you know she likes.
Perhaps others here can help you better? I'd switch to a food she liked if it was me.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have a really picky eater too, although with her I think it is partially due to teeth, so its hard to tell.

She simply gets NOTHING ELSE. If I am really worried, I will mix in 1 tbsp of ALL MEAT baby food (chicken or turkey) with no cornstarch in it, and she usually gobbles that. They can't really "pick out" the babyfood, esp. if you give it a few min. to soak into the kibble, and its basically just cooked meat so its really good for them.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I forgot to add, it's the "Beech Nut" brand of babyfood that has NO CORNSTARCH.

Oakley, miss PICKY PICKY, seems to like the Fromm 4 star nutritionals foods...you can switch between flavors for different feedings and its helped keep her interested. We are considering a switch or at least a half switch to The Honest Kitchen, which yours might like, too.

I also wanted to add...we got better luck with Oakley's eating when we stopped stressing and worrying about it. Sure, she is thin, sure, she was thin, but she could tell we were worried about SOMETHING at mealtime and so she couldn't quite bring herself to want to eat. When we got over it, we had much better luck getting her to eat.

I highly recommend getting 2 types of FROMM FOUR STAR NUTRITIONALS and switching them up, maybe duck and pork/applesauce. They are different than what she's used to and will probably entice her to eat. If she likes smaller kibble, the salmon formula has smaller kibble, about the size of three pinheads stuck together. If she doesn't care about kibble size, the rest of their kibble is about the same size, smaller than a US dime, and either square or hexagonal in shape.

Finally, restrict her food quite a bit for a few days. You need to reinvigorate her desire to eat. Give her about 1/4 of what you've been offering at each meal for 3-4 days. She is old enough you shouldn't have to worry about hypoglycemia. Leave it down for 5 minutes. Pick it up. End of story. Don't look at her, talk to her or try to coax her to eat. Make sure you're sweeping your kitchen floors so she doesn't have an alternative food source. This has been one of the best ways to get Oakley eating again when she doesn't seem to want to eat. She might lose an ounce or two or three, but she always starts eating again.

Are you "pack leader"? Google "NILIF". Nothing in life is free! Teach your dogs you rule the pack through requiring certain behaviors out of them at all times. Dogs are much more relaxed when they know you're boss, and it will help with her eating, too.

It's SO HARD to have a picky eater, I feel your pain. I hope I didn't offer "too much" advice, I just have been fighting this battle for 6+ months now with one little one while the rest of mine are perpetual hogs ha ha ha.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
My chi's are pigs lol so I don't have that problem here. They'll eat all day if I let them. Maybe she doesn't like what you feed her? Have you tried other brands to see if she likes something else? You can get little trial packs.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i would feed her what she would eat even if it was human food ,Keonas glucose levels dropped really low last time she wouldn't eat and she was close to dieing :(.
she eats well now but after that when she wouldnt eat i gave her what ever she would eat ,at one stage i was even putting tin food on my finger and putting it into her mouth just so she would eat something .

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Have found something....maybe?

So, I went on a mission today to get some food she will eat. She did eat an egg earlier as she was starving (still wouldn't touch the kibble) but is shaky. She is one who shakes and I really wonder if it is hypoglycemia. Anyway, I went to Long Dog short cat store as well as 3 Bone bakery to talk to them. The Long Dog store has about EVERY imaginable food. They recommended the Addiction freeze dried raw food in brush tail. I am fairly grossed out by the thought of eating "brush tail...whatever animal that is from)" or squirrel or something. shudder. But the employee swears by it for a picky eater. You just add water and get a raw diet without the fuss. So we will try that. They had a sample pack which is good. Then I went to the bakery and they have a food they make as well. It has decent ingredients listed but also has wheat as it's main grain which I read isn't great. However, she ate it! It's in little kibbles and I fed her a few at the store and she gobbled them up. I fed her more outside and she ate those with vigor too. Hoping she will continue with that or I will try the addiction I guess. (they also have Kangaroo food....eww). So, I'm cautiously optimistic. It's not a rated food and from what I can gather looking at ingredients (It's all human grade food), I am thinking it would be a high star that is dinged for having the wheat. So maybe 3-4 star for that? I don't know. I like that it's human grade food and not parts, you know? But mostly I just like that she ate it. I bought some bakery treats but am not giving her those for a while till this food thing is figured out. Looks like Bruiser (the big guy) is getting the treats for now. haha Thanks for your help.
Tricia
P.S. Has anyone tried Stella and Chewys?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So, I went on a mission today to get some food she will eat. She did eat an egg earlier as she was starving (still wouldn't touch the kibble) but is shaky. She is one who shakes and I really wonder if it is hypoglycemia. Anyway, I went to Long Dog short cat store as well as 3 Bone bakery to talk to them. The Long Dog store has about EVERY imaginable food. They recommended the Addiction freeze dried raw food in brush tail. I am fairly grossed out by the thought of eating "brush tail...whatever animal that is from)" or squirrel or something. shudder. But the employee swears by it for a picky eater. You just add water and get a raw diet without the fuss. So we will try that. They had a sample pack which is good. Then I went to the bakery and they have a food they make as well. It has decent ingredients listed but also has wheat as it's main grain which I read isn't great. However, she ate it! It's in little kibbles and I fed her a few at the store and she gobbled them up. I fed her more outside and she ate those with vigor too. Hoping she will continue with that or I will try the addiction I guess. (they also have Kangaroo food....eww). So, I'm cautiously optimistic. It's not a rated food and from what I can gather looking at ingredients (It's all human grade food), I am thinking it would be a high star that is dinged for having the wheat. So maybe 3-4 star for that? I don't know. I like that it's human grade food and not parts, you know? But mostly I just like that she ate it. I bought some bakery treats but am not giving her those for a while till this food thing is figured out. Looks like Bruiser (the big guy) is getting the treats for now. haha Thanks for your help.
Tricia
P.S. Has anyone tried Stella and Chewys?
Personally I would save the addiction for a novel protein source in case you come up against a severe allergy. It's expensive too! yes, I've used and highly recommend Stella and Chewy's! It's the best, by far, in my opinion for the pre-made raws. I like the dehydrated dandy lamb the best. Very soft and easy to break up and they snarf it. It's very palatable, even for picky eaters. They also carry a frozen line. The freeze dried is easy though, no thawing. They also check and verify EVERY batch against food borne pathogens like e.coli and salmonella. A very safe and reputable raw food. I sound like a commercial. ha.

Also, I don't know if you have tried ZiwiPeak if price isn't a big concern. It's expensive but it is fabulous food. It's a dry food, like a jerky, and very very good. I've never heard of a dog that wouldn't eat it.

Of course you know that switching foods around frequently DOES make a picky eater pickier! So find a food you are happy with and stick with it. A healthy dog will not starve itself. If you are dealing with a dog that WILL starve itself, then a vet visit is in order to check thyroid, liver values, etc.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success! So far

So far, both dogs seem to like the three dog bakery dry food. It has wheat in it but has only human grade food in it etc. So I think it's ok. Crossing my fingers that they like it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Tricia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts