Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having such a hard time getting Zoey's harness on her, she does not want me to put it over her head, she all of a sudden goes into that threated mode, and bites me. Any suggestions? She is just 6 months old.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would look for a harness with velcro along the belly so you don't need to put it over her head.

Otherwise, just take it slow and easy. Put the harness on the floor and let her sniff it/chew it/whatever.

Also I would practice touching the top of her head and getting her used to feeling sensations on her face and head.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
maybe muzzle her? Sounds mean but......I am buying one for Kemo for when we do his ears and stuff. the vet says it calms them, I also want my own for when I go to the vet--I dont want theirs on him that everyone else's dog has worn. :?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
With Marcus repetition worked. I would put it on him (witha major fight), let him wear it a while, take it off and later do it again. This went on for several days and now he doesn't mind it at all. Now if we could just solve the matter of clothes. He doesn't fight so hard anymore getting them on but that's only because he has learned to take them off. The brat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Tinker! If you are still looking for an easier solution, you can get a harness that they actually step into with their front legs and then clip up on their back. Then you clip your leash through d rings on each side of the harness clip for more security. It is super easy to get them in it! I bought mine at Jeffer's - I think their site is www.jefferspet.com

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hey don't know about the harness but I have to say what a great name!!!

Zoey! I am called zoe!!!! (spelt diff oviously) xxxx

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I will post some pictures of the Harness's I make for my Chis'. They are made from fabric and fasten with velcro. I make them out of the coolest fabric and they are adorable! I add charms and crystals ets. I have thought about selling them on the Internet?

Sandra

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Your harnesses sound cool Sandra! I'd be interested in seeing some pictures. I bought a harness for Bosco on eBay and am happy with it but the fabric isn't very pretty (just red with black trim)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I will try to post some pictures of them this weekend. I just finished two of them. One is denim with red lace and a "Heart charm" at the neck. The other is made out of "Cheeta print" with black velvet trim and black wedding lace around the neck and belly {all hand sewn} I made another one out of "camoulflage fleece" nice and warm! (a guy thing ha!) :lol:
Sandra

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have same prob with Lady, Sturgis never wore one till now or had a leash. he has no problems with either.Daytona gets excited to get into his he knows hes going bye bye. Lady runs. she has her harness on now she wont budge for awhile then moves around a bit. but if i put the leash on oh boy she wont budge at all. thats why i am having such a problem training her. I am definately getting one of those step in harnesses they seem so much easier. idid a google searchon them and some suppliers have all different colors. So to keep the funds down lol I am goin gto buy one a month till they each have one of their own and a different color each

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
We got Sadie and Ritz' used to their harness by leaving it on them ALL the time. For a few days, they hated it then got used to it. Now, they have associated the harness with getting to go for a car ride, and getting out of the house so they love it. So put on some thick gloves, get the harness on, and leave it on until they are used to it! -Nate

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I wish the harness was just my problem Lady doesnt like car rides :( and when she sees leash she runs she wont allow me to put it on. I have tried to no avail putting it on and leaving it on. she willplop and sit in same place for hours

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the help, and sorry it took so long to get back, I have been sick. I finally got the harness on her. and she is doing great. I don't think she is a full blooded chihuahua, she was 7.5 lbs. at the last vet visit and she is only 6 months old, and she is not fat. again, I thank you so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts