Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i found this site and it has been amazing in answering my question. Me and my wife rescued a 2 yr old chi three days ago. We named him Thor he is a great dog so far but we also have a 11 month schanauzer mix named Ella. One weighs around 25+ pounds and Thor being that he was abused, mal-nourished and left with fleas,tapeworms and weighs a whopping 6 pounds. This dog has been through a lot but has been amazing with us so far. We just need help in general training tips and how to bring out his personality. Thor tends to sleep a lot which we think is from the tapeworms. We have brought him to the vet and have taken care of the fleas and given him a warm bed to sleep in at night but we are trying our hardest to bring out his personality and most of all to get him to eat more so he does not look like skin and bones! Any help, tips or suggestions would be great. Thank you ahead of time for reading our post and i will post a pic of Thor when I am able. God bless, Andrew and Holly

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome to cp,so glad he's found a loving home with you.I'm sure with TLC and patience and time, he will come round it does take a while for them to settle in their new home

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Welcome! What kindness and love you have shown this little guy.....and he will thrive from it. It takes time and patience for the little ones that have been abused and it is all new for him.
Did the vet give you meds. for his tapeworms and I'm assuming he checked out to be healthy otherwise? Any bloodwork done? It's might be good to check his blood to see if anything else might be going on.
Sounds like he needs some good quality food and maybe also give him some Nupro powder in his food as well. It helps with his skin, coat and has some healthy ingredients in it, plus it adds a little taste to his food also.
There are so many good foods and I'm sure members here will be glad to share their favorites....the ones I like are Solid Gold Wee Bits (has a good protein and fat content and might help him with his weight.) California Natural is another pretty good one.
Best of luck and keep us informed on his progress:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thank you for the welcome Michele. To answer your question dazy mae yes they gave us some tapeworm medication Thor also needs 2 teeth removed and to be neutered but it is only money and will be done to give this beautiful chi a good life. Also Thor did have blood work done and all came up negative and no heart worms also. I was happy I was so nervous for the vet visit. Thor hates baths learned that the hard way this morning while as Ella loves her a bath. We were unsure on food so we found pedigree really small bites I had to moisten it this morning so Thor would eat it. I do though plan on changing his food to something better

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Welcome! Assuming no other medical issues he should come around. My Zoe was a rescue and it took her a few weeks to warm up to us all.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
First thank you for the welcome Michele. To answer your question dazy mae yes they gave us some tapeworm medication Thor also needs 2 teeth removed and to be neutered but it is only money and will be done to give this beautiful chi a good life. Also Thor did have blood work done and all came up negative and no heart worms also. I was happy I was so nervous for the vet visit. Thor hates baths learned that the hard way this morning while as Ella loves her a bath. We were unsure on food so we found pedigree really small bites I had to moisten it this morning so Thor would eat it. I do though plan on changing his food to something better

Good idea on the change of food as Pedigree is not the best for his health. I'm sure with time he will settle right in.
So glad that you are doing all the right things for him...he is a very lucky little guy to have such great care:)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Welcome, Thor is such a doll. You are wonderful to give him a loving home. He will really give back to you as well. I do not have personal experience in rescueing, but from what I have read on this site it does take time for the rescues that suffered to adjust. As far as kibble goes, he's probably going to be a slow eater until he gets used to you, but if you want to offer something really good for him and appealing to him you could see if there is a pet store in your area that sells Merrick and feed him a mixture of canned and dry. You can go to dogfoodadvisor.com to do some research on dog food.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for rescuing this fella. I have found that my dog's personality really shines when he knows he has pleased me. I taught him little things like sitting, then hand feeding one kibble as a reward. He loves it! He can sit, then lay down, then crawl, then get one kibble. We repeat a few times, and he is so happy!

I find having a small routine like that helps him when he gets stressed. It gives us focus between us - a way to communicate, a bond.

Does your Thor know any commands? I would recommend building on what he can do slowly, but do offer this kind of mental growth for him. It feels great for you both!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts