Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Sam, my 9 month old Chi was attacked today by a terrier type dog, it bit him hard, ive just got back from the vets who have taken him in to operate and they said that the bite has gone through his abdominal wall...im freaking out a little bit!

Hopefully he will get home tonight and will be fine, but i just want any advice from anyone who has had their Chi attacked ? I am going to need to get him back out and amongst other dogs asap - but he was already a bit shy/nervous around other dogs, but he was improving, now im worried that hes going to be too scared to leave the house!!

Any advice is welcomed!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Omg that is just awful I hope your baby is ok

I hope you reported thedog and it's owner to the police!!

I have no advice other than take it slowly it maybe worth taking him training classes as it's under control there

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That is awful, I'm so sorry your chi had to go through that. Please keep us posted on his recovery. x

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Hope everything turns out well.

Is there a dog park in your area ?
If there is, it's a great way to gradually introduce your dogs to other dogs, especially if they have a small dogs area. Mine started out in such an area, but they were more interested in the big dogs, and it didn't take long until they were out in the bigger dog area. You can certainly keep him on a leash, although that tends to make dogs more edgy than if they were free.

If you don't have access, hopefully you can find a friend ( or make one ) with a dog, and let your chi get socialized with him. I'd try to get him around some friendly dogs asap.

Maybe go to one of the petstores that let you take your dog inside, and let him meet some dogs there, too.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Oh how scary! Maybe check around for toy breed/chi meetups in your area? That might help you locate 'friendly' dogs. Please keep us posted on your little one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your baby.
I hope he is home soon and when he's ready to go out again it will be baby steps as I'm sure he'll be very nervous. Please let us know how he does with the vets. (((HUGS)))

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My last Chi was attacked by a Staffie,jumped out of a parked car window, he was in my arms but the thing managed to get a hold, he also had to go to the vets,luckily he played dead and only had a few puncture wounds.I just took him in roads i knew and the dogs i knew that lived up there,for months,so he met the dogs that were friendly towards him,then gradually introduced different roads,and he seemed fine,it takes a while.It was me who was worse and paranoid,even now if i see one i cross the road if hubby's not with me.I hope you both get over your shock together

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
OMG that is terrible and I do hope Sam makes a full recovery and the incident doesn't cause any anxiety.

Tons of gentle TLC and I agree if you know where the dog is from report it to the police as once a dog shows aggression either to a person or another dog it is classed as a dangerous dog.

Warm hugs sand healing vibes on there way

Deme x

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for the loving and supporting comments - He is home now, the vets told me that he herniated - basically, his inside came out - but they put it back in and is now home and healing! My wife is really feeling the shock, but i think we will all get through it together - and we have Dylan to keep us going and support Sam.

Thanks again guys, keep you updated.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What a nightmare!!! I would be beside myself!!

So glad he is home and OK!

I would prosecute that terrier owner to the fullest extent of the law. Make sure they pay your vet bills.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That's so terrible what happened. Luckily he is back home now. I think it is going to be a lot of work with him now to be fine with other dogs. Rocky got crowded from Terriers as he was a puppy. They didnt hurt him or anything, but it was too much for him and the owners didnt even bother to call their dogs back. From that day on he is terrified of other dogs, regardless of size or gender. I worked hard on it but it is not getting better. I hope you have more luck and your little man is not going to be extremely scared of other dogs now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm so sorry about Sam. When I brought Tiny home, I still had my minature poode (20 lbs). In this situation, Tiny just followed Pooh around trying to get him to play with her. He just ignored her, but I think it was because he was feeling so bad. I hope your litte one gets well soon. That really scares me; I was just getting ready to let Tiny meet my grandson's 200 lb lab. Perhaps I'll reconsider.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm so glad he's home now and healing! What a scare! Hopefully he'll be all better soon. Thanks for keeping us posted. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts