Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pippin is a little better than 3 months old. We got him at 8 weeks. We keep him in a very large wire kennel (3 ft. x 4 ft.) when we are at work (his litter box is in there) and overnight. It sits next to the large wire kennel that our German Shorthair Pointer stays in. I can't always have Pippin out of his kennel when we're home because of the larger dog needing to be out too. My husband doesnt' want dogs in our bed. He leaves for work very early and I usually get Pippin and he sleeps with me then for 2 hours until I get up for work. My question (sorry for the ramble) is how to get him to quit crying when he's in his kennel. He won't quit and he cries during the night too. My husband is at his wits end. If I put him in a smaller crate in our room do you think that would help? :confused:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You could try a smaller crate in your room, Zoey cries if she's cold, she has a heating pad on low or a Kozy (microwavable rice matt) so she stays warm during the night. Covering the crate helps. Also putting a large stuffed animal in there for them to cuddle up to. If he does cry, don't let him out or talk to him, only let him out when he's quiet.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
if his in there quite abit during the day he may not like being in there at night. Give him some teddys to cuddle up too so he feels hisnot alone...Elise always hated being in hers at night untill she got the drift she wasnt allowed in te bed x

·
Registered
323 Posts
Turn a radio on for him and when he crys you need to let him be. Because if you pick him up when he crys he will do that knowing you will pick him up. I put the radio on and leave it for him. I do this to the new ones i get if i dont have any one to put them with. But you can try smaller crate but i dont think that is it. I think its he know that you will pick him up when he crys. Give it a few more weeks and when he crys just dont say anything or even look at him sound mean but its not...good luck

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Does he get lots of walks before you go to work ? Is he bored ? does he associate the crate as a good place or punishment place ? How long is he locked in his crate,if you say when you get home he can't be out of the crate as your other dog is out,maybe he's spending too much time in there

·
Registered
323 Posts
Another thing i would look into is a X-pen so their is more room for him to play but I have to agree with michele that is seem it may be a long time for him to be int he crate during work and stay in when you get home. I would go to petco or pet smart to look at their X-pen to make up area for him to be in during work and the kennel can be bed time....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do let him out in the morning for several hours, I get up early to make sure, and when I get home, he's out most of the evening, I will hold him when the other dog is out most of the time except when cooking, etc. He has his time for running around the house and until it get colder, I take him out for walks outside too. I am very conscious of making sure he has excercise. I just think he is a mama's baby. I will try to put a few warmer things in his crate and may try putting him in the smaller porta-kennel at night in my room. Lots of blankies and woobie in there for him. (woobie is his baby). Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I wouldn't have him in there that amount of time tbh. Just my opinion. Fine when you're at work if he can't be trusted outside of it to behave and at bed time but not all the time.

Is there some reason you can't have your bigger dog out with the chi?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Firstly you need to integrate your two dogs you ned to teach your big one how to play with little dogs when they live with tem they do handicap themselves keeping them separate will cause problems

You need to walk him even when it's cold I live in England it's cold and wet mine get walked then too

He's in his crate too long and bored he needs stimulation, play time, some freedom time to explore and be a dog!!! He needs to learn his crate is his safe place Leave the door open and let him choose to go in there bully sticks are a good way of convincing them it's a good place

If u hold him all the time he will become protective and could get snappy if people come to you!! Honestly treat him like a dog!!

I took both mine on the school run they both sat by my feet whilst all dogs came past lotus barked but shut up after she got told off I only pic them up when it's dangerous for them

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't mean to offend, but IMO I think the reason he is crying a lot is because he is spending way too much time on his own locked in a crate. Chihuahuas really need company, they are not dogs who can be shut away for hours at a time day after day. He sounds like he is very unhappy.

At the very least, try to get the two dogs socializing safely, so that he has some canine company, and make sure he has plenty of room to play.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
How long is he in his crate during the day? Unless it's an hour or two I'm also going to say he's crated FAR too much & that is why you're having issues. Chi's are companion dogs that thrive on human interaction. He is unhappy being in the crate the majority of his life & I can't say as though I blame him.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I think you got some good advice here. He is obviously in his crate entirely too much through out the day. I would invest in the x-pen as someone else suggested or maybe gate off an area that is just for him while you're gone and put him in the crate at night. No matter how big the crate, he's going to feel confined with wire surrounding him.

As for holding him, I agree that if you hold him constantly you're going to have a snappy and protective dog. I learned the hard way with Boss. We got him WAY too early and I was so paranoid that something would happen to him that I held him far more than I should have. For quite a while he would get VERY protective of me and snap at people if they came too close, especially men. I've slowly but surely broken him of it, but he is still protective of me.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Another person here who feels you are crating entirely too much.
Chi's (if you did the research before you got one) are extremely needy little dogs, they absolutely need to be with their people!

If my husband told me no dogs in the bed I would tell him to have a good night on the couch.

Jus sayin'!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The kennel by the bed worked wonderfully for overnight. My question is what do the others of you that work full time do with your chi's while at work then? He's 3 months old, I am not comfortable leaving him out with no supervision while I am at work. And we ARE integrating him with our other dog, who is also a puppy, it's just taking time - we've just had him a month - and I don't want to do it at the expense of Pippin getting hurt.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't think the issue is that you crate him while you are at work.
As long as someone can let him out around lunch time to break up the day, it shouldn't be too bad.
However, I still would consider an ex-pen so he has more room during the day.

A crate should only be used if you can't trust your dog to be out while you are not there. I don't think its fair on either dog to be crated while they take turns in coming out!

When you're home and awake, I see absolutely no reason why he should be in his crate, even if you do have a larger dog. Your larger dog shouldve been slowly introduced to him and become accustomed to being careful around him.

I think the crying is mainly because when he is out, he is being held. He's too used to it.
Its like babies who are rocked to sleep, they find it hard to sleep on their own.
When he is out of his crate, he should be having stimulating play.

Also, before bedtime, a walk should help tire him out.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The kennel by the bed worked wonderfully for overnight. My question is what do the others of you that work full time do with your chi's while at work then? He's 3 months old, I am not comfortable leaving him out with no supervision while I am at work.
All three of ours stay in the kitchen while we're at work. We have 18" doggy gates that have a little door in them that we open when we're home (we never have to take the gates down) so they can come and go at will. They have a couple of beds, blankets, toys, food, water, etc.--everything they need. They're not exactly housebroken so being on the tile floor is ideal for clean up. I make sure nothing they can get to is plugged in. I leave the radio on for them. Not wanting to leave one alone all the time is the reason we have more than one! :) Our washer and dryer are off the kitchen (just a little space between the kitchen and garage door) and when Skylar was younger, smaller and nosier, I kept the door to the room the washer/dryer are in closed so she couldn't go behind the washer/dryer. Otherwise, I'm completely comfortable leaving them in the kitchen. There should be no way for them to get hurt but they have the freedom to walk around and play.
I agree with those who said chihuahuas are highly sociable--if we're at home and sitting down, they are on my or my husband's lap. They LOVE being with their people--that's just who they are.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The kennel by the bed worked wonderfully for overnight. My question is what do the others of you that work full time do with your chi's while at work then? He's 3 months old, I am not comfortable leaving him out with no supervision while I am at work. And we ARE integrating him with our other dog, who is also a puppy, it's just taking time - we've just had him a month - and I don't want to do it at the expense of Pippin getting hurt.
I had Cookie and Benny and worked full time for 12 years. I trained them and they would just be happy to sleep on my bed while I was at work and go toilet on a pad if they needed to.

As soon as I put on my uniform to go off to work they'd just settle down on my bed and that was that.

I think it's not too bad crating him while you're at work but as soon as you get in he should be out. can't you just use it whilst at work then have your dogs out with you in the night.

A big dog and chi's often get along just fine if you allow them time to get to know eachother. They'll probably become the best of friends and keep eachother company. Maybe even sleep together in a doggie bed outside the crate at night too.

A lot of people on here have bigger breeds as well as their Chi's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts