Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all roxi my 1 year old chihuahua has recently been freaking out once in the car she also tries to get on my boyfriends lap (when hes driving ) she used to be fine and just lay down and go sleep on my lap but now she tried to go under my seat. i have tried a few things but nothing has worked i dont really want to put her in a cage in the car, so has anyone got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would try a car seat with a safety harness. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
i'm quite certain you can. I first saw them on Victoria Stillwell and i've seen a lot of users here use them, probably worth looking into. If not at a local petstore certainly online. Try Amazon :]

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
You can get them in the UK. Try eBay. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
For a really good classy one I bought this, it was imported but I never found one anywhere near as good in the UK. In fact loads in the UK look like a horrid plastic and are not cheap.

This one is ideal and still cheaper than UK ones even so its imported from the USA and it only took a few days to arrive.

I got the small but am thinking of getting the next size up as I have two dogs now.

There are a few designs but the Solvit Deluxe is the best..

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-pictures/50632-jake-his-new-carrier.html

Cheers

Deme x

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My furkids aren't allowed in the car without being in a crate, I've seen/heard too many accidents happening, saw a little Min Pin who got her neck broken because she flew out of a doggie carseat. Have heard of dogs when their is an accident bolting out of the car and never seen again. I feel safer having my pups in the carriers. Shellie my golden chewed through 3 doggie seatbelts before I got wiser and started crating her in the car.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
My furkids aren't allowed in the car without being in a crate, I've seen/heard too many accidents happening, saw a little Min Pin who got her neck broken because she flew out of a doggie carseat. Have heard of dogs when their is an accident bolting out of the car and never seen again. I feel safer having my pups in the carriers. Shellie my golden chewed through 3 doggie seatbelts before I got wiser and started crating her in the car.
If the dog broke its neck then the saftey strap must have been attached to a neck collar and too long, this is clearly stated the wrong thing to do, all dog booster seats should be used with a dog wearing a harness.. never a collar and the saftey leash at a safe length.

Fitted correctly they are very safe..

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Lily curls up in the footwell and goes to sleep on my feet.Safest place for her i think
IMO if your involved in a car crash and the front of the car is badly crushed you'll have one crushed dog badly injured or dead. Sorry but I disagree with dogs loose in the car, or even with a collar and lead on.

In the footwell, on your knee or between the seats seems way to dangerous to me.

Deme x

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Reese sits nicely on my lap in the car so I allow him to be loose (I do feel guilty about the risk this poses for him in the event of an accident, but now that Ive spoiled him I dont know how hed take to a booster seat, etc) but Miley is still a pup and very high energy, she is always leaping around so she rides in a Sleepypod. They can be used as carriers, beds, and can also be buckled into the car.
I would imagine you can find a vendor where you are, or at least track one down easily on eBay or Amazon (thats where I ordered mine from).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
This is the one I use, it is easy to put in and take out and is high enough they can look out the window. I got it at Petsmart.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Reese sits nicely on my lap in the car so I allow him to be loose (I do feel guilty about the risk this poses for him in the event of an accident, but now that Ive spoiled him I dont know how hed take to a booster seat
When it comes down to how animals will think, its really us that need adapt to the change. Animals seem to accept where as we worry about what ifs.

Jake used to sleep on my bed and then went from the bed to the sofa which I found horrifying.

Then when I got Red, Red went to bed in his crate as he isn't house trained and Jake still slept on the sofa.
Then I made the decision to buy a bigger house (bed) for the two of them and so now both Red and Jake sleep in their house in the crate.

Considering for a year Jake slept on the bed or sofa he has adpated very quickly to the house sharing in the crate.

So its not the dogs who worry over the change it's us :D:D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey used to be like this when I 1st got her. She was a few years old when I adopted her. She would try to get on my lap when I was driving and thats just not safe.
I brought her a small bed and put it in the car, we now call it her car seat! She loves it always uses it and never tries to get on me and is perfect in the car now. My Display pic is a pic of Honey in the car in her car seat!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heya thanks for the suggestions i think ill try and crate her in the car i that dosent work ill try the seat thand again for everyones experiances and suggestins :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Draco always rides in his carseat in the back seat of the car. He can lay down and sleep or sit up and look out the window. It has a strap attached to the seat belt that goes around the bed to contain him. I think if you google "dog car seats" you can find lots on the internet. Your dog will adjust very quickly and everyone will be much safer in the car.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
We use a caraway both straps that hold them in are very short and adjust to their harness they either sit up altho lotus is too small to see out ATM daisy stands up or they curl up and go to sleep together I may get a bigger one next year

You can also get these things that attach to the seatbeltthat restrain them!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts