Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every one im new to this site i have a 18 month old boy chihuahua and he jumped of my sofa 6 weeks ago i took him straight to a private vet they x rayed it put it in a cast with two spints either side of the leg,
he has the cast changed every 2 weeks when he had x ray on 15 october the leg is healing great and a little crack
he has another x ray on 29 october and still a little crack
im holding him all the time and only putting him down to wee and poo but still with my hand surporting him he goes back on 11 november for splint and cast to be changed.
then hes got anotherb x ray on 25 november im keeping fingers crossed its healed competely by then
any one else had this

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What kind of diet is he on? If he's not getting proper nutrients that could make his leg not heal as quickly as it should, although some dogs just take longer than others. Are you giving him any glucosamine/chondroitin? That will help as well. Sorry your pup is going through this, I work for a vet and broken legs just aren't fun for the pup.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You might look up some posts by Tracilea on Willy's broken leg. He had similar problems healing and ended up having an amputation. He did fine after the surgery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello thank u for ur replys I'm feeding him on a/d food from the vets they said that's a good food with all the vitaimans In

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dog and hope the healing process goes smoothly.

Is it Hills Science food your feeding? Its not a great feed and the vets only advice using it as they are sponsored by them.

I feed Acana Grasslands which is a much higher quality food for dogs.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
He won't eat Kibble cos you let him, lol if a dog is hungry enough they will eat eventually, again its tough love.

I have no idea if the do a canned food as its not something I feed.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Orijen/ Acana do not do canned food as they produce their own food, rather than having a factory produce it for them, and arent set up to do canned.
I feed my chis Orijen and they really like it, even Reese who is a picky eater. The major pet store chains around us dont carry it, but natural food pet places and small shops around us stock it. There are a lot of choices in kibbles/ canned, and Im sure you can find something you like better thats available in your area. Science Diet is rather pricey, so you really shouldnt even have to spend more to get better nutrition for your pup.
Many of us use Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble as a reference for choosing a good kibble, they assign different foods a star rating 1-6, with 4 stars or higher being "premium" foods. They break down the ingredients to give you an idea of what to look for on labels, basically you want to avoid a lot of fillers like corn, and look for proteins as the first ingredients.
Hope your little one is on the mend soon, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your wee ones leg healing. :(

I agree with maybe a diet change is in order. ZiwiPeak is one of the best prepackaged dog foods out there. Next best to raw IMO. :) It's pricey but for one Chi it's not too bad. (about $25 every 5-6 weeks for your average Chi) They are served as jerky like squares. Most dogs love it. Another alternative (depending on where you are because you cant find this in the UK) is the Honest Kitchen. It's a dehydrated raw food like the ZiwiPeak but you must rehydrate the Honest Kitchen 5-10 minutes prior to feeding. It's more of a "stuffing" like consistency. Most dogs love this one as well. (some do not & some take a while to get used to the different consistency)

There is always the raw diet which I personally feel is best & is what we feed to our Chi's. It's not for everyone though & I totally understand that. :) For kibble I recommend Taste of the Wild & EVO. There have also been some other great suggestions given already as well.

As much as we want to trust our vets--most know very little about nutrition as sad as it is. They basically get paid to sell the Hills foods & are taught most everything they know about nutrition from these companies such as Hills & Purina. Eeks!!

Anyway, I really hope no matter what you decide to do as far as diet goes that his leg shows some good progress at his next appt/xray. I'll be sending special thoughts your way...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts