Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my chihuahua, Bruno, a harness to wear for walking. Once I put the harness on he stands completely still. He doesn't whine, cry, or show any sign of pain and discomfort. I have bribed him with his treats and asked him to come, but he won't budge. And I have tried to play with him with his toys but he isn't interested. Eventually he just lies down and falls asleep from boredom.

BUT, once the harness is off, minutes later he is back to his normal self; running and jumping around playing with his toys.

I tried taking him on a walk (before I realized what was bother him was the harness) and he wouldn't walk. He loves being outside, and the same thing happened in my backyard, he just lied down.

I've been putting the harness on him at least 3 times a day for 15 minutes, but he doesn't seem to be "getting used to it".

I'd like him to walk with a harness rather than his old collar because I just feel he's safer this way.

If anyone has any suggestions to how I can make Bruno move around with his harness on, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
that's funny. zoey does the exact same thing. except when she gets outside she forgets that she's wearing her harness and acts normal. but right when we put it on her while we're inside, she stares at us and won't move. she will stand there in the exact same spot for as long as you let her. :lol:

i wish i had some advice for you... but the only thing i can say is be persistent and he'll eventually get used to the idea. maybe you can put the harness on when you're already outside? i don't know. since zoey still acts that way when we put her harness on i can't really give you any proven methods. :dontknow:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
just keep putting it on every day ....first only for a minute and every day a bit longer ...soon he won't even notice he got it on :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Alot of dogs do that I have one that does and she forgets once her engine is reved up. Keep up with persistance and if he does do what you want then praise him like mad and give a treat... :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
my coco's exactly the same - she dnt act scared or nothing she just sits there still and then if i take it off she just starts running around - cheeky get.

Sometimes i get her walking around and she sniffs, but its like she takes me for a walk not pulling or anything but i have to go where she goes and well it makes me wonder are chihuahua's the kind of dog you take out for a walk anyway?

Its not that important to me because i only let her go where i knows safe - our own garden, she's never out without someone with her and if i take her anywhere she clings to me anyway!

I do wish i cld get her to do it tho - i say jst keep trying!

Good Luck, Love Gilly & Coco

·
Registered
568 Posts
Patience and persistence is all I can offer.

I started Bella on the collar/harness when she was 8 weeks old. She knows when the harness is put on her that she is going for an adventure. She loves it. And if I am not fast enough she lets me know to by barking persistently until we are out the door. And than I have a hard time taking it off once we get back home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leslie

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I had a difficult time with Jasmine getting used to her collar when I first got her at 9 weeks. I just kept putting it on her for a few minutes several times a day, and she eventually got used to it.

When I got her harness, I had no problem at all. She knows when she sees the harness and leash we are going out, and she gets all excited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts