Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a toy chuihuahua and he is driving me crazy, dont know what to do. he is 14 weeks old, and cries when he goes in the crate, as i work . when im home i take him out but he is not trained and messes all over the kitchen. will not go on the paper. what can i do? When he starts to go i try to grab him quick and he will run from me. thanks diana

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi- You sound like you were not ready for a puppy. You don't say how long you have had him. They will cry at first, but if you get on a routine with your pup, you ought to see improvement soon. We have one of those exercise pens set up for Reba, so during the day she has about a 3' square area with a bed box, her food and water dish and her pee pad. When we get home, we have pee pads available in the main rooms she might be in. Reba also has a big teddy bear and toys in her pen, as well as a heating pad in her nest box. We leave a radio on next to her, but a wind up ticking alarm clock helps some pups. When you are home with your pup, try to pick up on him looking for a place to go, before he actually does. Take him to his pee pad or newspaper as soon as you see his "bathroom" behavior pattern. Any pup, chi or otherwise, can exhibit this stressed behavior when they have recently had to move, etc. Be patient and help your pup establish a new routine. :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: I agree, it sounds like you didn't do your homework on the breed or on puppyhood itself..so my advice..READ UP! get yourself a chihuahua book, have patience and pay attention to every single piece of advice some amazing ladies will give you here! :wink:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
vala444 said:
:wink: I agree, it sounds like you didn't do your homework on the breed or on puppyhood itself..so my advice..READ UP! get yourself a chihuahua book, have patience and pay attention to every single piece of advice some amazing ladies will give you here! :wink:
:D Well said ladies!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I also agree! Anyone who is thinking about getting a Chi-puppy--Please do your research. It takes time and a ton of patience socializing, crate training and also potty training. If you are at work all day, it will take patience and training on your part. I would recommend reading the "Chihuahua Handbook".

sandra

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I agree w/ everyone else! The pup's only 14 weeks old it's not just gonna stop crying and learn not to make a mess overnight! 1. The crying will eventually stop but you HAVE TO IGNORE HIM WHEN HE CRIES! or else he will cry just to get your attn. 2. You have to be patient in housebreaking your dog it may even take a year, now one knows it just takes time! You have to relize that these things are very normal in a puppy. You should definatly sit down w/ a couple of books and READ, READ, READ up on everything you need to know! BTW Welcome!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Welcome to the board, Diana! The first couple weeks of puppyhood can be a real nightmare. I promise it does get easier! :wink: You may want to try piddle pads for your little one to go to the bathroom on. They have a scent in them that makes dogs want to go there. I would probably also start the dog off in a smaller area - maybe buy an X-pen or a playpen or something. As the dog does better with going potty, let him have the whole kitchen...give him more freedom as he earns it.

When you actually see your puppy go to the bathroom in the right place, immediately give lots of praise and maybe even a treat. Chihuahua's tend to live for their owner's affection so give him lots of it when he does something good and he will catch on quickly.

Tell us more about your little guy - what color is he, what is his name, and post a picture soon. :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & Welcome. I don't crate my puppy since i am home with him so I can't help there. But the potty training does take time. I found Auggie always had to go 1st thing in the morning and always when he wakes up after a nap so be sure to watch carefully so you can train him at those times. :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts