Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear in mind ladies, these 2 little Chi's came from backyard breeders i.e. 2 families who only had a bitch and a dog they mate once a year, NOT a puppy farm. Chi pups cost between $1k and $1.5k here on Limited Register (meaning no showing or breeding with compulsory spaying).

All my worries were cleared yesterday when I saw a Vet (Uni Prof) who said they are in darn fine health with super great patellas, and not in the least bit "Nervous Nellies" as they mostly seem to be - neither of them batted an eyelid with stangers fawning all over them, trotted off and explored his surgery, came when called, despite there being a strange puppy in the room they were visiting, and sat on command (I was secretly proud). Just as well too because I don't do simpering, whimpering, shivering, pathetic, attention seeking brats well!!!

The golden boy is 12 weeks and the black/tan girl is 9 weeks and both weigh 1.4kgs = 3lb 1oz (does that indicate at this age that they'll be huge?) I don't know anything at all about Chi conformation except for the standard but on paper & in person is too hard for me to translate into a jumping jack puppy. I've also put up pics of the boy's parents, don't know if they're good, bad or indifferent either. The girls dad was really tall but her mum really tiny.

They'll both be desexed in 6 months once I know what their little teeth are doing ....

'Chiko' The Man ... (He and I bonded the second we laid eyes on each other and have been inseparable albeit he also spends a lot of "alone time" with her whilst I'm busy -

Chiko's Sire/Dam:

Bootiful 'Bella' :

AND MY MARAUDING MASTIFFS ... "Boofa" & "Jessica" - Eng Mastiff x Rhodesian Ridgebacks - best dang dogs I ever had, head & shoulders above all my fancy smancy show stock over the years:

You'll notice there's 1 x missing cushion on this gorgeous LEATHER Chesterfield couch ... 2 nights later, all 3 cushions were decimated, chewed into teeny, weeny pieces that had to be vacuumed up ...

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
awww , they are all gorgeous!!! and omg, thats terrible what they did to your couch, thats a nice couch!!!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Oh my goodness what gorgeous dogs you have! :eek:
Every single one is precious in their own way, love all 4! :)
The eyes on the lighter Chi are just killer!
And your Ridgeback mixes are my idea of awesome dogs, love everything about them.

How did you come to having them? What's their story?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
What a beautiful pack you have! Wow, Chiko's coloring is stunning! I've never seen that coloring before, so lovely. Might Bella not come into her first heat by 8+ months? I bet they wont have a problem with retained baby teeth as they have longer muzzles, the only chi Ive had retained baby teeth with is Leo as he has such a short snout. I think their teeth do better with the longer muzzles, more room for little teeth to come in and fall out.

Add: I would guess if they've both already hit 3 lbs that they will be on the larger side, maybe 8-9 lbs?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks one and all, so wonderful to meet folk who appreciate them instead of what I've been used to which is usually a very unimpressed grunt or snigger from friends & family about them not being REAL dogs (except for my 12yo son). I wish I still had it in me to create a couple of agility champs to thumb my nose at them all lol!

I meant to say in the first paragraph that run of the mill Chi's from a normal, everyday breeder, some great, some average, many just wannabe's are $1-$1.5 but I got these little guys from a "backyard breeder" because I don't care for pedigrees that go back to when Christ was a boy, who beat who in the show ring, who's nasty and who's not, these were only $350 each.

@ LS no story re Mastiffs really - just that there was no way I was going to pay $2k each for linebred weaklings riddled with health issues and then I found out that virtually ALL of our hunters across the land go for this "type", so figured $400 ea for mongrels was a small price to pay to keep them away from the hunters pickup trucks. The are WONDERFUL - they go to the public dog park, public off leash beach and will never hurt any dog, or the Chi's (accidents accepted) but they live outside now after the couch and many other incidents - unfortunatey they do catch, kill and eat a possum usually every night which is heartbreaking for me.

@ Reece & Milly thanks for the reassuring words, I do hope they're true. I thought their teeth would be visible & the status quo recognisable by the Vet at 6 months - I think he may pull all baby teeth that haven't fallen out at that time anyway but not totally sure.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Beautiful dogs! I do love the mask on the Chiko! And Bella is darling! Your two mastiff crosses are really nice and look so athletic. I am a huge fan of ridgebacks. They catch and eat a possum every night?! Wow. Maybe they want to be raw fed. lol. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Pretty Dogs! We have had some fabulous dogs that nothing you could read or write on paper about them would do them the justice they deserved. Those dogs weren't even a thought in people's heads who were all about the paperwork ~ but we didn't let that hold us back. What they lacked in paperwork they made up for in spades as it related to health and heart. It's a great feeling to watch someone who can't get passed the lack of pedigree fall in love with a dog that they never considered one to begin with.

We had one growing up boat propellers were her thing, until she grew out of it. Dad was quite a boater we had several of them ~ so it was touch & go as he replaced props, so I can sympathize with the couch, it was gorgeous but...There will be casualties :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Your pups are the cutest! Chiko is a handsome little fella with his chocolate mask and light eyes and your girl looks like a little sweetheart. I'm sure they are a handful but its so worth it!

Who cares if they aren't to standard and don't have papers. Both mine have papers (limited reg) and I paid $950 for my boy and $1,200 for my girl and neither of them are to standard. In fact my girl who I paid more for is way further off than my boy so go figure!

It's great that they're both healthy and outgoing - just what you want!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ladies, warms the wee cockles of my heart to read your comments.

Cheers OzChi - God help me, I'm tossing up whether or not to hop in my car and take a 2 hour drive to see another one, aaaaaaaarrrgh! I somehow got it in my head that I'd like a trio instead of a pair - please, someone, anyone, talk some sense into me before it's too late - friends & family, and my long-suffering Ex are getting really, really worried about me lmao.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
please, someone, anyone, talk some sense into me before it's too late
No one on this site is going to tell you not to get another Chihuahua - we are total enablers because the more Chis's you have the more cute pics we get to see, we're selfish like that!

What is this other pup like? Big, small, reg, un-reg, long hair, smoothcoat???

I wanted to get my dog (I was only planning on the one) from a great breeder in QLD but she never seemed to have many pups for sale and when she did they were long coats which is not my personal pref, so I know there are some really good Chi's up there.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Argh! Now you made me go on Dogz Online and I found a Chi I want :( Luckily my desire to not be divorced is stronger than my desire for another dog (but just barely). It's not that my hubby doesn't love our dogs, last night he had Chloe up to his face and was saying "give me kisses sweetie", it's just that 2 is enough and he is a realist. If I was single I would have about 7 by now.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is this other pup like? Big, small, reg, un-reg, long hair, smoothcoat???
Hi OzChi - well I hadn't decided on any particular one, shape, colour or size, it doesn't really bother me because I think pups are an unknown quantity. I can't remember his surname, christian name is Robert, owner of Sompeeto Kennels est. 30 years. Robert is in his mid-late 70's and hasn't shown for a long time due to health issues, but is a long time breeder who's 2 hour's drive away & will return home from the vet at 2pm, so I'd get there at 4pm and risk coming home in a Jeep that is overheating severely, hmm, may have to have another sleepless night & go tomorrow, unless I can find another $350 one in the interim which would honestly be my preference.

Spoke to him for ages last night, soooo very different to the usual stuck up, pretentious fools who want $1.5k with $500 up front, demand you sign contracts, pay them $300 for desexing (yeah right) before pup leaves the premises, yada yada yada.

I asked him about desexing & no showing contracts etc. & his response, "Once you've paid $600 for a full register puppy, it's yours, do as you wish with it" (he's dropped the price $200 on avail pups due to major hospital surgery bills & council rates time etc etc. I was in absolute shock to be honest, such a refreshing, wonderful trusting man. Of course, mine will be desexed, perish the thought of watching my girl go thru birthing, blaarrrgh!

He says he's got a spectacular wee tri long coat boy at the minute so that could appeal - I just really want a long coat, something different from the other 2 and preferably find somewhere where there's a lot so "it" (no preference) can choose moi rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I woke up this morning & composed a post in my head to be added on to the thread I started about a pair or trio of Chi's being desirable.

The post was to be, "Ladies thanks for your input, I've decided I'm going to just stick with 2 Chi's, mainly because I don't like my chances of picking 3 up in the event of an attack etc. The ones I have are divine, I couldn't be so lucky 3rd time around, so I won't risk it".

Well I'll be darned, purely by chance I discovered Chiko's breeders had another litter and called them without realising they were the same people (I have memory issues) so I'm rattling away to this lady about how "I'd bought the light of my life from a lovely farming couple way out in the bush, a wonderful man he was too, a Welshman" ... she interjects with "Gosh, my husband's Welsh too" and then I said "John met me at Ettamogah Pub with the pup" which was so kind saving me that extra 2 hour drive and she says, "That's what we do ..." and at that moment we both realised who the other was lol.

So, introducing "Little Jonnie" subject to change if anyone has any better ideas because I expect to have a new Beau by about 9pm tonight and his name is John so don't want to be calling the pup the same name .... you're all a bunch of Wicked Winnies for enabling me, gaarrgh, my Ex (who lives in the adjoining apartment is going to KILL me) ...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Aww he is adorable, like a cuddly little teddy bear!

As far as boy names go I like Hugo. I wanted to call my Axle that but my hubby didn't like it and i'm actually glad we didn't settle on it because it wouldn't have suited my little roughnut. This little guy looks quite sweet and dainty though so he could get away with something a bit more posh like a Hugo.

I'm sure others will have plenty of better suggestions though...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts