Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, I've been away from here for awhile...but me and doby are doing well, he is almost 6 months and he still pees and poos on the carpet when i'm away...he knows hes not suppose to...but im glad he goes outside when i let him out. Now I have one question.... Will they ever grow out of it?? I suspect its because I go to work and hes by himself at home..so he is feeling lonely and wants attention so he going on the carpet... but he know where to go when im there watching him...making sure he goes......AND when he does go on the newspaper in the corner, he scratches at it, then wants to walk away for the carpet.....i think he doesnt like the feel of it...What to do???

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help. But, you might try confining him to a smaller area when you have to leave him alone. 6 months seems a little too young to leave him the run of the whole house. Because he is still so young, he could get into trouble and hurt himself, like with electrical cords and such. I would try putting him in either a crate or a small room like a laundry or bathroom with a pee pad, litter box or whatever you use.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Have you ever heard the phrase "a dog won't poop where it sleeps"? (I cleaned it up so I wouldn't be edited.)

I agree, confinement is the best option for everyone involved. I kennelled Cooper until I knew he could go all day without an accident before I let him have run of the house. That was about 8-9 months of age. Kennelling him also assured he'd be where I left him when I came home. Puppies love electrical wiring and other things that are bad for them so it's always better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I keep Snuffy in her crate while I'm gone as well. That or in the kitchen where there's tile with a baby gate up. I leave puppy pads around the house just in case. She still has accidents inside every once in awhile, but she's getting much better :D But I'd confine him to a smaller area while I'm away...it's definetly safer for a puppy :) And make sure he knows what he did was wrong and when he goes outside praise him...that's what I've found to work with my Snuffy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I do the same as snuffysmom, Piper is 16 weeks and not potty trained so she's always in the kitchen with a baby gate up when I can't be watching her every move, Charlie is 11 mos and usually goes in his kennel when I'm away. He's old enough now that holding it for 8 hrs while I'm away is no problem. When he was younger he had a litter box that he used at night and when I was away, now that he's bigger it doesn't fit in the kennel with him but he doesn't need it anymore anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts