Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to PetsMart for my routine outing with the dogs.

I walk them in and out of the store, and try to walk them around inside. But sometimes, depending on what dogs are there and how their owners are with them, they end up spending time riding in the cart for their own safety.

An older lady saw the dogs in the cart, and came over holding the hand of her young grandson. He was...um...I don't know the PC word and I'm NOT trying to be rude....mentally challenged? Very sweet little man, but he had some trouble forming words and was a bit uncoordinated. Anyway, the lady asked me if the dogs were friendly and was it OK to pet them, and......well....one thing led to another, and I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

The grandmother was almost embarrassingly effusive in her thanks. She assured me that this made her grandson's day and the impact it was having on him emotionally and mentally was beyond words! It made me very happy. :)

On our way home. I am SO proud of my dogs! :love4:

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
So sweet, brought tears to my eyes. Your pups seem so gentle and patient.
They should be therapy dogs, looks like they bring people a lot of joy. It's beautiful! :)

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I got tearful reading your story and seeing these wonderful pics!! What wonderful ambassadors for our breed! So very heartwarming. Your little sweeties deserve a t-bone steak. :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Lovely story and pictures. I know first hand what joy is given from animals to those that are mentally challenged. My younger brother is autistic, he is 27 but has the mental capacity of a 8 year old. He can always be found sitting on the stairs with on of my pups just a petting and chatting away. :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Ronni that was very sweet of you. What precious pictures and a moment that I'll bet you, this little boy and his grandmother will never forget.
This is what life is all about and sure puts a lot of dumb stuff we think matters in perspective.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That was a very heartwarming story. You are very lucky they behave that way. But I would still not let chis around children unsupervised. As a rule they do not like children.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story and pics. Your chis were truly great. Love how Jazz kept going around him like, "My turn, my turn, let me in his lap." And Tango was like, "No way go find your own lap, I got this one." They were so good with him. You can be so proud!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got tearful reading your story and seeing these wonderful pics!! What wonderful ambassadors for our breed! So very heartwarming. Your little sweeties deserve a t-bone steak. :)
Yes! That meant a lot to me, too. I'm very aware of what a crappy rep chihuahuas have, and for good reason a lot of the time. :( I've worked really hard to socialize these two....as you know they're both rescues, and whereas Jazz was just a puppy and so there were not many negative behaviors to undo (owner was going to euth her because she didn't want to pay a pet deposit,) Tango was 7+ months and already a bit nippy and bitey, so I really had my work cut out for me. If I can alter, even slightly, the perception folks have of the breed, then I feel like I'm doing some good. So thanks!

Also notice how carefully the little boy is holding onto the leash. When it became obvious he really wanted to hold the dogs, I did the same thing with him that I do with my grandkids, and asked him sit down so they could be in his lap. I showed him how to slip his hand through the leash loop and hold on, as an extra precaution (they wouldn't run away even if they weren't leashed, but I wanted him to feel like he had control of and responsibility for them.) He was VERY proud to be responsible for them this way, and took great care to hold that leash just like I'd shown him. Also Tango did just what I expected him to do too, which made me happy.....as soon as the boy sat down and called to Tango like I showed him, Tango pranced over and jumped into his lap, happy to just chill there. I wish I'd been able to capture the ecstatic smile on that sweet boy's face when Tango did that!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts