Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many follow my escapades with my foster/rescue/soon to be my mom's dog.

He's been a trial, but i love him to death. But the other day i had an epiphany on what causes his growling behaviors and if i push to hard, snaps or nips. and since that epiphany life has been really good.

all i did was start paying attention, or remembering really, what happened right before he decided to get all old man grumpy as i call it. and i've been seeing a pattern of something scared him. Example, he was watching out the window at some kids playing ( with no barking YAY for desensitizing) and went to move and slipped and almost fell off. while he recovered on the outside quickly and moved on, i went to pet him and he growled. ( now this isn't teeth raised tense growling just grumbling) so i grabbed him held him close and while he grumbled at first, he quickly tucked his head under my chin and relaxed and no more grumbling all day^ ^. Normally this would start (the cranky-ness) and continue for many hours)

I think he has trouble dealing with things inwardly. He's terribly cocky in most situations, but when something gets him he kinda breaks down mentally. Its the same with meeting new people. he loves people once he knows them, but till then its frantic and frankly a little scary for the guest lol.

But knowing this is giving me the tools to know how to help him deal with this odd inward anxiety. and its working. :)

just wanted to give an update on the crazy boy

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
That is great news! I hope you are on the road to getting his issues under control. Please keep us updated :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi what great insight keep up the good work because hes ready to show you what is so upsetting to him

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its really helped. I'm gonna refer with the trainer to make sure my close contact calming is appropriate in the grand scheme of things, but for now it works so its what we do :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts