Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(Firge is ten months old. She is skinny. She won't eat anything but people food. I have bought and tried practically every dry food possible. Good food that you guys have recommended. She will go for days and won't eat. I try to hand feed her, beg her and nothing works. Finally I will feel so sorry for her that I'll give her a little bit of bread or a little bit of cheese and I do mean a little. She has loads of energy even tho she hasn't eaten.

It has almost ruined my holiday, I'm so worried about her. She also doesn't drink much water, nothing like my poodles did.

Pls tell me what to do. I want her to enjoy her food and be happy when she is fed. Please help me. I am so upset. I don't think a trip to the vet would do any good. She just doesn't like this dry food and she's very stubborn. Otherwise she's very well behaved.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
She's trained you very well. haha Reason why she isn't eating is because she knows she'll get the "good stuff" if she waits long enough. :) Simple as that. I'd start a very strict routine with her. NO free feeding. Put her food down (you choose..not her!) & leave it for 15 minutes. When that time is up take it up no matter if she's eaten or not. At dinner time, put the food (SAME FOOD) down again. And again after 15 minutes take the food up. NO treats, NO people food, NOTHING. She will eat when she's hungry. Unless she has a serious medical condition...she will not starve herself.

I can say some foods some dogs (not all, but some!) go ga-ga over are Honest Kitchen, Addiction, ZiwiPeak, etc. These are dehydrated raw foods so they are perpared/served a bit differently than kibble. But Addiction/Honest Kitchen especially resemble people food so it's sort of like they think they're getting the good stuff but they're actually getting a very healthy dog food. ;)

Good luck!! Just be a bit stern with her, set some boundaries & rules & put a routine into play and she will come around. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much.

Should I put new food in the dish? . . . or just leave the stale stuff?

I feel so sorry for her with nothing she likes to eat.

MChris, are all those babies yours?
Martha

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Although I don't recommend feeding the kibble or the cheap canned food, have you tried giving her canned? You could mix some kibble in with it. You could warm it up for a few minutes. I totally agree with MChis, chi's can train there owners easily with their cute little pouty faces. Don't give in to it.
I feed mine what I believe to be the best, healthies food out there==The Honest Kitchen and my Chi LOVES it, but if she doesn't eat it. She has to wait til the next feeding time to eat.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
When we fed kibble I just put the food that was in the dish back into an airtight container. That way it doesn't get "stale" or left out in the air. Not that she'd care. :lol: Dogs aren't naturally picky.

Feeling sorry is a human emotion. Please don't feel sorry for her because your emotions get passed on to her & dogs handle them must differently than people. All it will do is confuse her. Stick to a routine and also use the same food all the time...be stern & routine all will be OK. Once she realizes you won't cave...she will eat. :)

Also, dogs are VERY oportunistic creatures! Just because she acts like she's hungry doesn't mean she is. My dogs act like they're starving all the time & wouldn't honest eat constantly if I let them. Milo would also be 25lbs if I let him eat whatever..he's our biggest hog. haha And yes, those are all my Chi's in my siggy. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The Honest Kitchen is GREAT! Also, if you wanted to give a canned food a try..canned ZiwiPeak is WONDERFUL! Doesn't give icky poos like regular canned food & it's all natural & considered a prepackaged raw food. I love it & add it in semi regularly to our raw rotation along with dehydrated ZiwiPeak. Mixing kibble in with wet ZiwiPeak may be a good idea to get her started....but be careful as it's quite a hearty (but good!) food itself. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Both ladies have given you great advice.

Firge has trained you well indeed. My Gretel turned her nose up at food one time before she realized after 15 minutes I wasn't playing around and the food was going up for another 10 hours, she ate her meal that night for sure.

I regularly feed honest kitchen as well. I've never had a problem getting my dogs to eat food I offer, they're very trusting and even take medicine from me.

Firge just knows she'll get what she wants if she waits long enough, time to break the cycle. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 at night, if she doesn't eat she doesn't eat, dogs don't harm themselves intentionally so if she's hungry she'll eat.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Also, dogs are VERY oportunistic creatures! Just because she acts like she's hungry doesn't mean she is. My dogs act like they're starving all the time ...
This is so true! I'll feed the girls and NOT even an hour later somebody in the house will be in the kitchen and there they are near by looking at them as if they haven't ate in weeks! LOL Then I'll be questioned "Did you feed them" UGH! I hate that LOL Little stinkers.

The ladies gave good advice I hope something works. Even your baby sounds pickier than my Shayley and that's rare! lol Good luck hon!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey was always a very picky eater but now she eats Ziwipeak for dinner, I mix it with a bit of warm water. She is also free fed on Orijen because she eats so little.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK you guys, I'm going to begin "starving" Little Firge right now. Poor little thing . . . when I eat, she just shakes. . . Just breaks my heart that she has to eat that old yucky dry stuff. Right now, I was doing the Olefin (spelling?) She hates it, but I'm sure you all know best.

Do you ever give her just a little bite of "people food"?

Thanks for helping. I really appreciate all of you.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
OK you guys, I'm going to begin "starving" Little Firge right now. Poor little thing . . . when I eat, she just shakes. . . Just breaks my heart that she has to eat that old yucky dry stuff. Right now, I was doing the Olefin (spelling?) She hates it, but I'm sure you all know best.

Do you ever give her just a little bite of "people food"?
If you think you won't be able to resist Firge staring, whining and generally begging for food while you eat I would remove her to another room.

I give my dogs people food in small quantities but only when my dogs eat their own food first. If my dogs were holding out and not eating their dog food they would not be getting ANY people food or treats. If I were you I would withhold any and all people food until she is consistently eating her dog food on a regular basis. When you are happy with how much she is eating of her own food then you might start reintroducing small amounts of people food if you so desire. Just be ready to stop the people food if she starts holding out for it and stops eating her dog food.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where do you get these foods? I live in a rural area of Tennessee. We don't even have a Walmart to tell you how small it is (and how much I hate it). I moved here from Nashville when I retired. All my family is here, but I rarely get to see them. I'd give anything to be back in Nashville. I've been here eight miserable years. Sorry to be so pesomistic (read that past word the phonics way because I don't know how to spell it. Nothing has gone right for me today. I even fell in a big box and at first thought I wasn't going to be able to get out. Firge is angry with me because I haven't paid any attention to her today. "Happy New Year"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did try once to give her the Pedigree in the little pouch (like canned kind of). I mixed it in with the other and she picked out in the Pedigree and wouldn't eat the other.

The next day, I tried to give her the Pedigree again and she wouldn't even look at it or eat it.

Thanks tho, that's a good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Food issues

When I adopted Samson I put him on Orijen which is supposed to be one of the best foods out there. I read reviews and everyone said their dogs LOVED it!

Samson refused to eat it. He was in shelters for 2 months and I am sure he was getting a commercial grade food that was tasty to him.

I got a can of wet food (Blue Buffalo) and I mix in a couple of tablespoons with the 1/4 cup kibble. He scarfs it down.

I had to do this with my Shih Tzu when I changed his food a few years ago.

Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look at that stomach. He or she sure doesn't look like he's missed any meals. Firge is really skinny

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You fell into a box? How did that happen? I'm sure glad you got out OK. ;)

You can get these premium foods either online or at a specialty retailer. If you are in a very small town then you will probably have to order the foods sent to you. Either through a place like k9cuisine.com or amazon.com, etc.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We live in midcoast ME...our nearest Walmart is an hour away. But we have a pet specialty store about 15 minutes away. The speciality stores are actually easier to find than big box stores typically. :) But like Tracy said...you can easily order online. ZiwiPeak I could get online for the same price (including shipping) as I'd pay getting it locally. Buying in bulk (10lb box of Honest Kitchen or 11lb bag of ZiwiPeak) will save you money as well. The sticker price is shocking really...but one of those large bags/boxes would last one Chi several months! You can check the ziwipeak or thehonestkitchen websites for local carriers in your area as well...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh & rarely do we give bits of our food to the Chi's. They don't even bother me while I'm eating because I've never "shared". They do beg/stare at my hubby (because he sneaks them bits) and my daughters (because they're messy LOL) though. It would drive me insane if they did that. I quite like them sleeping in my lap/next to me while I'm munching as opposed to the staring/shaking/whining. Saying that...when I notice them "begging" from others I don't feel sorry for them. If anything I get frustrated with the person they're begging from because it's their fault for the rude behavior. :lol:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said.

Pedigree is v v v low quality I'm not surprised she turned her nose up!

Cam you post a picture of her? You keep saying she's skinny but sometimes they are optimal condition just a high percentage of people are so use to seeing dogs overweight they assume that's normal :) I know where I live all we see is fat labs and small dogs who waddle they're so fat it bugs me!!

Anyway just to show how opportunistic dogs are this is my two this morning daisy has finished her breakfast (bone in chicken) and is waiting for lotus to finish hers!! Shes my vulcher will hover then come and sit on my lap then lay down and wait for the right moment to steal that last bit of bone

1 - 20 of 20 Posts