Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Atlán- he's 3.5 months old and hails from Mexico. I'm starting to become chi informed and was curious what you guys think? Apple or Deer head? What color would you say he is? Is 2.1lbs about right for a 15 week old?

Also, since I'm in Mexico my resources are a lot more slim since dogs aren't viewed as family members so much as they are at home. I bought some puppy kibble here and the ingredients made me cringe so I'm just making him food at home in lieu of that nasty puppy kibble stuff they sell here.

Thanks for your advice- I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
His head is deer shaped.

In the first picture, it is difficult to tell whether or not he seems to be a full Chihuahua.
In the second picture, it is my opinion that he seems to be a full blooded Chihuahua.

Head shape could definitely represent if a Chihuahua dog is pure bred, or a cross-bred dog, but there are MANY pure bred Chihuahua dogs with Deer shaped heads.

The only thing that head shape dictates is whether or not a dog can be shown. Only Appleheads can be shown because the AKC dictates that the head of a Chihuahua dog must be apple-domed and that its muzzle must be moderately short. The Deer headed Chihuahua doesn't fit this description. None of this really matters though for people who don't show. Some people prefer the deer head shape. Also, here's my two-cents on that subject. Dogs change over time, especially due to the fact that people breed them to "standard", (and I am quoting this from several people that show dogs nearly word for word) to contribute to and perfect the breed. Well, in doing this, it not only cosmetically changes the way the original Chihuahua dog looks, it is a road to essentially no where because how can humans be the judge of what the perfect Chihuahua dog is? What exactly is the "perfect Chihuahua dog"? Some evidence shows that the original Chihuahua dog from the state of Chihuahua, (the state where my family is half from) was not nearly as dome headed and short muzzled as today's Chihuahua dog. How is that perfecting the breed? Changing it more and more from what it originally was?

Anyway, that is just my rant. It's a BIG subject for me but please, by all means, if you intend to show believe me when I say that many people find it to be a rewarding experience. Do not let my ranting deter you.

As for your dogs weight, it seems absolutely normal. Some Chihuahua dogs are bigger, some are very tiny. Some grow a lot into adulthood, some don't grow all that much at all. It all depends on the dog, just like humans!

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your time and information concerning the topic. Yes it helps a lot and it really doesn't matter if he's one way or another as long as he's healthy. I just got him as a companion dog since it's nice to have a furry friend with me down in Mexico to travel with. I just asked out of curiosity's sake to start developing my "chi eye" and to be able to start noticing the subtle differences when observing them since I'm definitely a newbie and never expected to have a chi of my own. Thanks again to all the professionals :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know that much about color, not nearly as much as I know about the shapes of their head. To me, he looks fawn, because I THINK cream and blonde are lighter shades. I'm not sure. By the way, he is a GORGEOUS puppy. You are lucky to have found a Chihuahua that beautiful. Especially in Mexico. I know how dogs are not beloved in the same way as they are here.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
No blonde in the Chi world. I would say Fawn (going by the pic and my screen so I can be incorrect) but do not be surprised should he become more or less dark. He still has a lot of changing to do given his age. I also say deer head. His head will flatten as well as he grows.
Here are recognized Chi colors:
American Kennel Club - Breed Colors and Markings

My Hope is an example of classic cream. Although she is SC, this will give you an idea:

She is also an example of an apple head. You can see from her profile a nice 90 degree at the intersection of her snout and head. No sloping.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's hard to tell since he's long hair but I'm gonna go with deer head too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
perfect- I think I got the whole apple/deer head down now. I've read that apple heads can be less healthy than deer heads because of their head shape- is that true in your opinion? Or does head shape not matter in that sense?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
He's a deer head.
Cute too! is he a long coat? almost looks it!

Apple heads can have health problems, my vet feels they are not as hardy as deer heads. They have been bred purposely to have that distinct look. They often need c-sections, have larger moleras etc.

That said I have two apple heads.
Enjoy him! they grow quick.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm one of those people who, although I very much respect the show world and would even LOVE to show a pup some day; have kinda a weird opinion on it. The simple fact of the matter is that years and years ago we 'created' these standards and bred for them. But in the case of a companion dog; the length of it's muzzle or the shape of it's head doesn't affect much. It doesn't make them any more or less healthier. Just means they fit the description that people once declared correct. Does that make sense?? I still have a huge respect for the AKC, and all those who contribute to maintaining a breed's integrity... but in my case I think that when it comes down to characteristics that otherwise have no affect on the dogs health (such as skull or muzzle) it all seems kinda petty. Just my opinion; not trying to start anything here... just acknowledging that these standards were put into place and created by people who had a specific thing in mind. I understand that a certain look was preferred by them; but simply isn't preferred by me. I couldn't care less about head shape IMO; but I do think that ones with slightly longer muzzles are downright adorable. Just because my opinion and preference is different than what the original 'breed group' preferred does not make my dog any less "quality" or "healthy." If you ask me, the pedigrees that show a dog being HEALTH TESTED are more important to me than head shape.
ETA: Btw your dog is perfectly adorable!!!! I would have guessed apple head with a longer muzzle though; in the 2nd photo that shows a profile it looks a lot more domed with a defined stop; but a slightly longer muzzle. Not all longer-muzzled chi's are deer shaped. I would think to be a deer-head he would need to have more of a slant between the top of the skull and the stop (where the snout starts to protrude.) In MY standard he looks just downright perfect, that is the kind of chi I prefer lol!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks deerheaded IMO but anything that isnt an applehead is called deerhead. Going a bit off subject, I really prefer deerheads even though it is not the KC standard (I think), they do look more natural and I find them much cheekier! I love cheeky chihuahuas!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of your amazing input everyone. Kittyn- I admit I'm on the same boat with you concerning our preference for a particular look. I definitely am more into the longer muzzle look.....but not necessarily too exaggerated like I see in some deer heads with massive ears. I like the in between look- half way between a deer and an apple. Also, I am a big fan of the long haired type which is how I ended up with my guy.

I've looked for awhile back in the States and whenever I found a long haired chi they would try to charge me an arm and a leg. Luck has it I came down to Mexico to study for awhile and started on my chi hunt the first day. It took me a little over two weeks to find him. Many Mexicans don't even have a clue that long haired versions exist and many people stop me on a daily basis asking what kind of dog he is. People selling long haired chi pups try to sell them at ridiculous prices here because they're "rare", but that being said it's still cheaper than in the US. I lucked out with Atlán (my puppy) being that I got him fairly cheap. Most short haired chis from a more "reputable" breeder or specialized pet shop (they offer health guarantees which is a big thing in Mexico) run from around 120-250 dollars. A long haired chi someone will try to sell for 500 or more. You can also get them from the Sunday indian market for 30 or 40 bucks, but there is definitely no guarantee and the puppies can be sick. It's more a rescue mission when you buy from the indians here. All in all I'm really happy with my new Mexican companion.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks for all of your amazing input everyone. Kittyn- I admit I'm on the same boat with you concerning our preference for a particular look. I definitely am more into the longer muzzle look.....but not necessarily too exaggerated like I see in some deer heads with massive ears. I like the in between look- half way between a deer and an apple.
Same here lol! The only chi I've ever bought from a breeder and sought her out by color/look was my baby Kahlua. She has a more apple domed head but with a definite longer muzzle than the standard would call for. But I also don't want a chi who's head looks like a min-pin. And I too am a sucker for the long-coats which is probably why I find your chi so adorable lol!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts