Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Charles Harris and I got my first chihuahua today and I have general questions.

First off I'm going to start by giving general information about my puppy. 1. She's six weeks old right now. 2. She's a little fatty. (haha)

I purchased a book that has specific information about chihuahuas, but I want to ask you guys something. What are your opinions regarding dry dog food and moist dog food? I'm sure you guys have heard of FreshPet Select, a company that provides all natural food that's kept fresh. It has a lot of good products, because I'm concern about the health of my puppy and I was wondering if you guys think its a good brand. I was thinking about just getting the treats and sticking to dry dog food, but I'm not sure if the dog food I'm giving her is right for her.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am personally not a fan of dry food. If I was forced to feed kibble, I would add water to it. All that dry cereal is hard on the kidneys and processed foods are harder to digest than fresh foods. It's also a "myth" that kibble cleans teeth. It is a carbohydrate cereal, how can it clean teeth? It would be like us eating a mouthful of crackers and then saying that helped clean our teeth. ;)

There are lots of options when it comes to feeding dogs. Do some research. Lots of good threads here in the nutrition section. If you want to use a manufactured project, consider The Honest Kitchen, ZiwiPeak, or Stella and Chewys (frozen or dehydrated).

I looked at the Fresh Pet product. It contains a LOT of veggies. So that would be a deal breaker for me. It also contains salt. Dogs don't need salt.

Since your puppy is soooooooo young, it's important that he eats at least 4 times a day and watch out for symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

·
Registered
376 Posts
I forgot to mention that about low blood sugar. Def something to watch close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts