Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanna share my ickle desktop fish tank.

Irs only little but visiting locsl fish shops ive fallen ln love with soooo many fish so I'm looking to buy a second, large tank to expand .

This tank has guppies ( one male and 3 females), some pearl minnows, a mini bottom feeder and.... a FROG! My bf has asked for me to refrain from kissing it in case he is replaced :D

Its only a dwarf frog but it gave me a fright this morning as it was floating at the top not moving. We gave it a bit of time, and in the end we decided to remove it but then it suddenly popped back to life when we put the net in lol

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I have a marine tank to but before we got that we had green spotted puffers they are fresh water have you seen them ? They are awesome here i found a pic
(not mine but they all look like this)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a marine tank to but before we got that we had green spotted puffers they are fresh water have you seen them ? They are awesome here i found a pic
Oh my I saw one in the shop today but presumed it would be marine! ! That's got an idea into my head.... ><

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cute tank, I always keep at least one aquarium around but was up to seven at one point, lol. I had a bunch of Guppies before and they were fun fish to play with the genetics.

I looked into getting those but between the brackish water/saltwater, feeding them snails and trimming their teeth it was to much work for me. They are really impressive once they hit 5 or 6 inches though.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
The snails are no problem as most fish shops give you them for free. Just empty the bag into the tank then job done. They are amazing fish as mine are out of my hand and they are cute lol. Mine where fully grown and got to 4 inch and didnt grow any more :(
Most over fish in the tank where fine with the little salt you have to use as my tank was filled with 2 of these, 2 shark like fish and some guppys :)
But looking at the tank again I think it may be to small for gsp :(

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
We had those many years ago,we were told to feed them clams things to keep their teeth down,well they never ate them,so the teeth just grew and grew

·
Registered
180 Posts
The snails are no problem as most fish shops give you them for free. Just empty the bag into the tank then job done. They are amazing fish as mine are out of my hand and they are cute lol. Mine where fully grown and got to 4 inch and didnt grow any more :(
Most over fish in the tank where fine with the little salt you have to use as my tank was filled with 2 of these, 2 shark like fish and some guppys :)
But looking at the tank again I think it may be to small for gsp :(
What kind of water did you keep yours in? They do tend to not grow to their full potential in fresh water since they are brackish/saltwater fish. I want to get one once my last two fish die and I have a job. We don't have any fish shops around here so I have to order my snails online or breed them myself. My ramshorns breed like crazy but since I bought my Black Skirts all of the babies get eaten, lol.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cute tank, I always keep at least one aquarium around but was up to seven at one point, lol. I had a bunch of Guppies before and they were fun fish to play with the genetics.

I looked into getting those but between the brackish water/saltwater, feeding them snails and trimming their teeth it was to much work for me. They are really impressive once they hit 5 or 6 inches though.
This probably sounds silly but I didn't realise you have to trim their teeth ? :eek: and my dad mentioned they have a toxin ? :$

·
Registered
180 Posts
You should look into the Dwarf Puffer. They don't have the overgrown teeth problem like most species. They are a fresh water puffer unlike the Green Spotted Puffer which are high end brackish. They also only grow to 1 inch long so only need 5 gallons per puffer but they are a very active species so need lots of stuff in the tank to explore. This is a care sheet for them The Puffer Forum • View topic - Carinotetraodon travancoricus (Dwarf Puffer) .

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should look into the Dwarf Puffer. They don't have the overgrown teeth problem like most species. They are a fresh water puffer unlike the Green Spotted Puffer which are high end brackish. They also only grow to 1 inch long so only need 5 gallons per puffer but they are a very active species so need lots of stuff in the tank to explore. This is a care sheet for them The Puffer Forum • View topic - Carinotetraodon travancoricus (Dwarf Puffer) .

Oh fantastic thank you for that! I bought my second fish tank today which is 60L compared to my ickle 16L as seen in the pictures. I'll be setting it up over the next couple of days. Im thinking to get a placid shark for it . Excited!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
What kind of water did you keep yours in? They do tend to not grow to their full potential in fresh water since they are brackish/saltwater fish. I want to get one once my last two fish die and I have a job. We don't have any fish shops around here so I have to order my snails online or breed them myself. My ramshorns breed like crazy but since I bought my Black Skirts all of the babies get eaten, lol.
Oh sorry i have just seen this lol yes i had brackish water but to be honest thats all i can really tell you as hubby used to do all the hard work !! Heheh. They are amazing they ate out of my hand and used to follow me every time i walked past the tank. You will get snails in your tank over time and i could send you some as i have loads in my little tank. If you get a really small tank you could breed them very easily to feed to your puffers. :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
They look just like the green spotted !! They are very cute

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh fantastic thank you for that! I bought my second fish tank today which is 60L compared to my ickle 16L as seen in the pictures. I'll be setting it up over the next couple of days. Im thinking to get a placid shark for it . Excited!
I think 60l is the same as 15g? I googled placid shark but did not come up with anything.

Oh sorry i have just seen this lol yes i had brackish water but to be honest thats all i can really tell you as hubby used to do all the hard work !! Heheh. They are amazing they ate out of my hand and used to follow me every time i walked past the tank. You will get snails in your tank over time and i could send you some as i have loads in my little tank. If you get a really small tank you could breed them very easily to feed to your puffers. :)
They are great fish and so worth the extra work. I did have a ton of snails until I got my Black Skirts who will eat any snail that is small enough to fit in their mouth, lol. If I have any bladder snails left next year I will be tossing them in the pond to breed without the threat of being eaten and maybe by the time I have room for a 30g tank for a GSP I will have a decent amount of feeder snails.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts