Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls are so cute (okay to me) when they groom each other. Eyes, ears and sometimes their privates.

Now, they have started grooming my husband!! Licking his eyes, ears and even nose (until he stops them). We all joke that he is the cleanest man any of us know so it is funny to me that they are grooming him.

I was joking with him (he did not find this funny) that they see me as in charge and him as just another Chi.

Do your babies groom humans in your home? Is it affection, a pack thing, a nurturing thing or something or nothing else??

Thought it would be fun to ask!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's a hierarchy thing. In the wild, dogs lower down in the pack's hierarchy will lick at the muzzle of higher ranked individuals, mimicking puppy behavior (which is to lick at the muzzle/faces of the adult(s) to get them to vomit up their food...easier for the puppies to eat as it's already pre-chewed.)

The highest ranked canines will put up with being licked as long as they aren't irritated by it, or it gets in the way of what they want or have to do. Then they will tell off the licking dog, making it stop.

If you're concerned about maintaining your Alpha status with your dogs, or you have a dog who keeps trying for dominance, I'd be careful about how much you let him lick. Make sure your dog understands who's boss. Tango for example LOVES to lick, and would lick me to death if I let him. But if I do my disapproving noise~~a kind of a growly "Aaaahhhh" he'll stop immediately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts