Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think is gonna hate the camera i always have it in his face LOL here are some new pictures i JUST took them i hope you like them

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
he's just maturing sooo fast! how old is he now? not too old right, it seems like yesterday he was this little fat chubby baby and now he looks like he's becoming leaner and losing his puppy fat.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks austin will be 5 MONTHS the 23th I KNOW I CANT BELIEVE IT !! ives had him over a month now

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
What cute photos!!! He's growing up so fast, but they all do :( I wish my freak was still a pup some days.

I have a question though - on his back feet in one photo, I thought I saw dew claws. Does he have them on his back feet or is he just standing funny?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea hes got them my vet wants to take them off when hes get neutered what do you think will it hurt bad ??

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think there was a post on here about dew claws and the two types... or maybe it was a conversation I had with a friend... I can't remember.

What I do remember is if they're not "attached" to the foot, it shouldn't be painful... most aren't. I'm sure someone else would have more info on that.

I only asked because I've never seen a chi with dew claws on the back feet. But, then again, I don't ever look - I just happened to see Austin's in that pic. :scratch:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I was talking to a lady at the vets a couple of weeks ago and she had had her malteze dew claws removed. She said she would never do it again!
It seems he had chewed the bandages and scabs off repeatedly no matter what they did and he wouldn't heal.

This is just an FYI.
I think if they arn't removed when they are first born, don't bother, it could be more trouble than it's worth!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
really im gonna take to my breeder and see what shes says my vet saw him and said well these are comming off i was like why she said cause they get caught on thing and can rip out and i just read that the front one should comoff cause when they wipe there eyes they can hurt there eyes i dont know what ot do i just dont want him to be in extra pain hell be in pain meds from the neuter ??

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im not gonna do it my breeder says some of her dogs have it and there fine i dont want it to go threw that hes really good at letting me cut his nails so ill keep them short thanks so much for your input :wave: :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
2pups622 said:
im not gonna do it my breeder says some of her dogs have it and there fine i dont want it to go threw that hes really good at letting me cut his nails so ill keep them short thanks so much for your input :wave: :D

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I think i would discuss the pro's and con's with my vet if i were you. I'm just thinking of when my dogs have hung a toe on something how frantic they are and usually hurt the toe from all the struggling. Austin's dewclaws look quite large in the picture and boy, would that be painful if he caught them on something! Afgans are the worst for grabbing a dog's toe around here. :shock:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Just last night, Cooper got his front dewclaw stuck in the loop on his collar and was walking around with his front paw hanging from his neck.

My vet never suggested removing them when he was a puppy and Cooper is my first adult experience with a dog from puppyhood. I didn't know a thing about dewclaws but now that I do, I wish it had been done. He catches his in everything it seems ... but at least I'm home all the time and he has learned to just hobble over to Mom and she'll fix it right up.

I don't think I'd get it done now though; I read an article that said it's a bit more painful then they're older than when they're pups and I worry about infection.

I'd definitely talk to the vet though - he can give you the pros and cons of the procedure now that he's older.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts