Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yes do hang in there!

I would never suggest anyone compromise on what they want. Your baby will come, and you will know when it's right.

I did when I got Ernie and it's worked out very well for us. He is absolutely the light of my life. :) Some of the people that woman sold to... *shivers*. They wouldn't have taken care of him. But I still want my choco female chi. :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Well the 4 litters coming up aren't due until 6 or 7 weeks from now. Crap!!!! It'll practically be summer by the time i could get one. :(
Well here is positive. If you would get a little one now, you really be able to take him/her outside because of this crazy weather. I got Bella in the winter tme and it was awful, but I got Libby when it was warm and it was awesome because we could go on walks and as for potty training, I think it would be easier also:)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Awe im so sorry, but i would try and look at it that this one was`nt meant for you, and yours is out their just waiting for you , and he or she will be your little soulmate xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Time to work on the hubby Cheryl and get him on board. Then when the perfect one comes along, you can both be a united front and just go get him! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry you didn't get the little one you wanted, but, if I can be honest here . . .
I would be wary of a breeder who has so many litters on the go, they're obviously breeding for quantity not quality.
I'd find yourself another breeder & be prepared to wait for a quality bred dog

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Sorry you didn't get the little one you wanted, but, if I can be honest here . . .
I would be wary of a breeder who has so many litters on the go, they're obviously breeding for quantity not quality.
I'd find yourself another breeder & be prepared to wait for a quality bred dog
I know the breeder personally, and they just happened to have 4 bitches come into season at once (they due this) that were ready for litters. They are one of the better breeders I've seen around the US, that do health testing, show their breeding stock, and really seem to absolutely love their dogs.

Chis are one of the wonderful breeds that you CAN really truly provide adequate care for multiple litters.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I am sorry but i know you will find the perfect addition soon!!!

I also know people who have a few litters at a time i am personally doing this at this moment i normally only have a litter a year but i am hoping that 2 of out the 3 girls take so i can choose the pups i am keeping (1 girl i mated before didn't take too the stud i used i am hoping this isnt the case this time though)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I stand corrected, & glad to hear the breeder is a good one,
but for me 4 litters at once is still a bit off.
I understand that in a large kennel many bitches will come into season around the same time, we had that also many times, but never mated all of them at the same time.
In fact even though at the time we were one of the most successful show kennels we rarely had more than 3 litters a year.
Maybe it is different in the US

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am sorry. I know how you feel. We had 2-3 weeks of "just missed" the pup we wanted, breeders who would not sell us a pup (we do not show or breed), pups that were gone but websites were behind in updating, etc. We were also trying to talk ourselves into pups that we did not connect with or love. We decided the last 2 calls would be it and then we'd take a break and wait.

Second to the last was expecting 2 litters so it would be 12-16 weeks but last had 3 girls and we loved them all, but one the best and now she is ours.

Everyone is right. The "just perfect for you" baby will come along and you will be glad for the missed opportunities!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw hon! I know how sad it is! Before I got Shayley I was searching breeders and the lady had a black Female I hadn't seen but was going to go see the next day. She called that night and said she had been taken I was heart broken and so sad. I am so thankful it fell through though, then I wouldn't have my baby girl Shayley!! It all happens for a reason! That's for sure! Your perfect little baby will find his/her way to you some how!! :hello1: Hang in there hon!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I stand corrected, & glad to hear the breeder is a good one,
but for me 4 litters at once is still a bit off.
I understand that in a large kennel many bitches will come into season around the same time, we had that also many times, but never mated all of them at the same time.
In fact even though at the time we were one of the most successful show kennels we rarely had more than 3 litters a year.
Maybe it is different in the US
They aren't a large kennel at all, though. Just good people raising good dogs. You are right that it is a different world over here in the US and things are done differently, neither way is better or worse :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't wish to be argumentative, but in my opinion a breeder who has 4 litters in such a short space of time over here would be considered to be a puppy farmer.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Just a little food for thought for you, though...a golden retriever or a labrador retriever has a litter of 10-12 and not one person calls them a puppy farmer because they only had one litter ;) A chi has on average 2-4 puppies, which ... 4 litters of the "average" number of chi puppies in a litter, 3, would mean 12 puppies at once.

Some of the bigger breeds can have HUGE litters of up to 14-16 puppies...so I don't see how you can pat those people on the back, but call someone a puppy farmer that has around the same number of puppies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts