Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear so often that people don't want to rescue because the dogs are "damaged" or "you don't know what you're getting." I will not deny these things. I have 2 rescues, and 2 that have been with us since they were very young. Both my rescues have reactivity issues that will likely need lifetime management.

Today I collapsed in my living room from abdominal pain and was unable to get up until my partner helped, about 10 minutes later. These were the reactions I got:

Max (13 years old, been with my partner since he was 5 weeks) laid right down where he was.

Stella (3 years old, been with me since she was 7 weeks) checked to make sure I wasn't dead and went to play with her toys.

Maggie (rescued at 2 years, been with us for 6) licked my face to make sure I was okay, then laid down and held my hand until she heard my partner coming downstairs.

Rufus (rescued at 2 years, been with us about 2 months) checked to make sure I was ok, then started alarm barking (not frantically, but in a very controlled manner) to try to get someone's attention. Stopped when my partner came downstairs.

There is no doubt in my mind that rescues create a special bond, due to what they've been through. These two dogs are my heroes, and they got anything they wanted today! <3

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm glad you're okay, and yay for rescues! I love my baby girl and didn't think twice that she had "no history" and was dumped! She needed me, and I am sure some day I will need her and she will be there for me, just like your babies!

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I'm so sorry you fell! Ru ok?? Bad cramps? I agree rescues are so special. I have a special bond with Mojo, I swear he appreciates everything we do for him and he's the only one who every night comes over to my belly and lays his head by the baby (I'm pregnant). The other 3 have no clue but I think Mojo knows there's a little something in there. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story! Yay for rescues!
I often see bumper stickers that say "who rescued who?"

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I sure hope all is well with you now, Marty! I love the saying on the bumper sticker Zorana mentioned--"Who rescued who?" Not only are the dogs who are rescued special, but so are those who rescue them! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rescues are awesome! Glad you're ok!

Every dog I've lived with (in my adult life) has been a rescue. I would never dream of buying a dog. Do they have a couple minor issues? Yes, they do. Just like every human family member does as well. I just do what I need to do for them.

I rescued my Chihuahua from a shelter about 5 weeks ago. He is estimated to be about 8 years old. He had an injured eye removed at the shelter and is mostly blind in his remaining eye due to scarring on that eye. He spent 6 weeks living in a kennel run in the shelter sleeping by himself. It makes me happy to see him happy now.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am alright, thank you for all the concern! I believe I have endometriosis (which is where tissue similar to the uterine lining grows in places outside the uterus, for those who don't know) but it can only be diagnosed with surgery - since I can't work steadily due to pain, I can't afford insurance, so I am trying to save my pennies... I did see a dr about it, but all he could tell me was "it's definitely your uterus"

I love rescue stories too! I do understand why some are apprehensive, though. Rufus has more than a little damage - he has some PTSD. Though it has improved dramatically in the short time he has been here, he still has episodes where you can see the switch flip in his brain. Usually when he gets over stimulated, he will attack but when his brain switches back he gets all cuddly and kissy. Thankfully, as he settles in, these episodes get fewer and further between. Otherwise he is the sweetest thing! He loves to cuddle, and is learning how to play. I wouldn't trade him in for anything!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I also may have endo. I hope you can get the diagnostic soon- I haven't had it either but the disease is debilatating.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Endometriosis can usually be somewhat controlled with birth control pills IF you can take them. I used them for 20+ years until I had a hysterectomy.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Endometriosis can usually be somewhat controlled with birth control pills IF you can take them. I used them for 20+ years until I had a hysterectomy.

This is the first step every doctor I have seen since I was 11 has taken. I've been on so many different brands I can't even name them all... They have all made my symptoms worse. :/ but drs never listen. So now I'm waiting until I can afford to pay for a laparoscopy and possibly a full excision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank You for sharing! And I'm glad you're ok now, but that must be so horrible to live with and to have to pay just to find answers is strange, Doctors are supposed to know these things!

My family and I have always had rescue dogs but, after our last, my Mum (who I live with) wouldn't let me rescue again because all of the previous rescues were very temperamental and she couldn't be bothered to go through it all again. So I had to go on to get three puppies (even though I wanted to rescue) and then she said she wanted a little dog and went and rescued one for herself!
Now, if I want to get any dogs in the future I am allowed to rescue again! She told me this is because of all the information I had filled her head with about rescues :D :D :D she understands now (Thank God for that because, for as long as there are dogs in shelters, I swear I will never buy a puppy again ..... oh and seriously I mean nothing against decent breeders by the way - they are who keep decent lines strong)! So she brought home this little, matted, abused, timid, eleven month-old Yorkshire Terrier who never even knew how to play ... and now (nearly two years later) she is the most playful, loving and forgiving dog ever (only took her a few months)! She still is very frightened of me because I constantly need to tell my two Huskies off, so she constantly trembles and pees and poops out of anxiety ... I can't even look at her without her dropping her bum. When we're playing ball (she absolutely LOVES the ball, which I love as I've never owned a dog who went completely DAFT for a ball before so it's really awesome to have that :) ) if it lands somewhere that she can't see or get to she will pee whilst running away, just because she thinks it is bad that she is unable to bring the ball back to me! It had gotten to the stage where I stopped telling her off for anything and just ignored the behaviour instead, as there was just no point because it makes a nervous dog worse.
I have been looking after the little mite for around a year and 1/2 as my Mum has been really really busy in work, which also led to problems with her foot, she is supposed to be taking her back some point this month which I know will be best for everyone --
she won't be there to feel my assertive energy towards my Huskies- so no toileting,
she will be one-on-one with my Mum- so sole attention,
and she will make my Mum happy- so lifting spirits!
The great thing is we all live together so we can all play and have cuddles whenever we want and I'll never be able to make her feel scared in any way :toothy8: !

It's horrible with rescues where I feel like I'm always cleaning up somebody elses mess, like who do they think they are allowing things to escalate to that ... where the dog gets to that kind of state?! It's never a dog's fault, always the moronic imbecile who took the dog on in the first place. So I can appreciate when people who say they 'don't think they can handle' a rescue go and buy a puppy instead because they think they are doing the right thing, but I firmly believe that there are LOADS of matches for people and the dogs in rescue homes and the staff in these shelters usually help figure out those matches before even allowing a dog to go anywhere :) ! x x x

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oops ... I didn't realize my post was gona be this long, Sorry guys! :roll: x x x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts