Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! Just got craptastic news that's life changing....if something drastic (like a freaking miracle) doesn't happen before the end of the month, it looks like I will be out of a job (this is the ONLY job I have EVER known...well except for a meat packing plant for a few months in college. I've worked there 20+ years :-( We are having such a hard time at work financially....and it's not getting any better. My dad will loose his job, and because he's older (68) no one will hire him, so he will lose his house :-( My mom absolutely, positively WILL NOT go get a job no matter what (she's too busy...doing what I don't know). My dad had a 2nd job but they 'forced' him out due to him wearing hearing aids.....(he could sue for discrimination/disability but they made it (and got witnesses) seem that my dad told them he couldn't handle working 2 jobs...which is BS. Anyways just venting :foxes15: We are trying a couple of things like loans & such, but it's not looking good. I'm freaking as I won't have a Vet anymore (well in practice) so what happens if my babies get sick? Especially Zoey? ARGH!

***Please don't say anything on FB, we are still hoping some things come through and we can turn things around, so don't want everyone to know just yet.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Loss of income is never easy, maybe you'll get lucky and hang on. It does sound like it'd be a good idea for you to get prepared for this.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh dear.
What if your dad starts up his own practice?
It is his own practice, we are renting in the building we are in and are way behind on rent due to nothing $$$ wise coming in. The problem is there are WAY too many Vets in the city we are in, there are 7 Vet hospitals in a smallish city. :-(

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Heather I am so so sorry you guys are going through this!! What about moving the practice to elsewhere to where a vet IS needed?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i'll be sending positive "vibes" to you and your family across the miles!!!

i hope things get sorted soon for you... ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im so sorry, that must be a very scary prospect for your whole family. I hope that youre able to figure something out. Is moving to a smaller/more affordable space an option?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It is his own practice, we are renting in the building we are in and are way behind on rent due to nothing $$$ wise coming in. The problem is there are WAY too many Vets in the city we are in, there are 7 Vet hospitals in a smallish city. :-(
Heather can he be a mobile or Equine vet? there is plenty of money there, and good vets of those varieties are a Pita to locate.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
really sorry to hear about your news, surely with your dads vast experience a practice would surely want to take him on. good luck

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I know what you are going through as a friend of mine is having the same trouble. He's a younger vet in a farm town and he said he hadn't had any business AT ALL for almost 2 weeks. In his community, people don't take their cats/dogs to the vet very much at all. If the animals are sick, they just shoot them. It's that mentality. :( He is struggling too. Hard to pay the rent with nothing coming in. Plus his loans from school, plus the people who work for him, the loans on his equipment, etc. He is in a dire financial place.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. This economy sucks. I think that when people don't have much money, they skimp on their pets and their vet bills. It's just a trickle down. But it's still rough and I'm sorry. :(

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I really hope something works out & you & your dad will be able to keep your jobs. I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this. This economy sucks. I think that when people don't have much money, they skimp on their pets and their vet bills. It's just a trickle down. But it's still rough and I'm sorry. :(
I am so sorry you have to deal with this. It's awful.

I agree with Tracy too about people skimping on vet care. I've been there. It's an awful decision to have to make, but sometimes it's a choice between food on the table and a well visit, food wins hands down.

God Bless, and I do pray things work out somehow for you.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Im so sorry :( I hope things work out for both of you. Is it possible to maybe restructure the practice and make it more affordable for people? Only reason I say this is because I use an "affordable" vet clinic.....and its a very busy practice. Only downside to it is they do not make appointments. Its a first come first serve basis....of course they make exceptions for emergencies.

I took Mia and Bailey the other day and I expect to sit and wait at least 2 hrs. They are THAT busy! They only charge a $15 office visit...vs $35 elsewhere from what Im told. But sitting there waiting our turn...you really get to meet some interesting people. This practice is so busy now...people drive as far as 50miles. Their pet meds are cheaper than you can get online as well. A spay or neuter is $50....but there is a 3 month waiting list.

I will say a prayer for you and I hope for everyone's sake...2011 will be a better year.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this, I will be sending prayers your way for some good news

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this...I hope your dad can figure out a plan. You might be able to find employment at one of the other vets...I am sure the pets you groom would follow you to a new establishment. Keep the faith...This economy is horrible...so many people who were secure are now in danger...this just sucks!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts