Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in laws' cat is very sick, she's been consistently losing weight for 4 months apparently... (I just noticed this week). Anyway my in laws' are like... oh well, she'll probably die or something... ugh... She's only like 8 so she's definitely not dying of old age (though she is getting there I guess...)

My brother in law let his cat die at home because he didn't want to take her to the vet after she was really sick...And long story short, she improved when he switched to a higher quality food for a month, then he ran out of it and went back to the crappy food and she got really sick... Anyway...

They think I'm nuts coz we take ours to the vet every month for random issues. UTI, drooling and not being able to get up, worms, and then their puppy shots.... I thought they were all worth the visit... *sigh*

I'm a little depressed right now coz hubbeh's eyeing me with all these vet bills :( I'm totally eating ramen for the next month....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nawh, for one thing we can't afford to, and they'll think I'm even nuttier if I took their cats to the vet when they wouldn't themselves when they can afford to -.-; I'm sure a bit of hell would break loose between some people...

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
You could call Animal Control on them but that would start a war

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could call Animal Control on them but that would start a war
Yeah no wars, they're really nice people otherwise, just very distant about their pets' health. Besides, Animal Control wouldn't do anything, as they are taken care of otherwise.
We technically _could_ afford to, but again, that war thing... and I'll have to be on ramen for another month...

I'm pretty sure her cat has tapeworm, since mine just got it and I'm sure some fleas go back and forth... I just switched my heartworm prevention from heartgard plus to Iverheart Max in hopes mine wont get it again... It's curious how the vet prescribed my almost 4 lbs chihuahua with a 6-12 lbs one (since there isn't anything lower) but he assured me there should not be any side effects and to call him if there was...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Some people are not as dedicated to their pets and I find that very sad. My father in law tells me that you should only have a pet to use it for something. For instance, a cat to chase mice and dog to guard sheep etc.

He used to laugh really hard, a good belly laugh, when he would tell me about his brother's dog that was "used" to guard the farm. His brother threw a piece of very hard bread to the dog but missed and the poor dog's eye was blinded. The dog was pretty mean and tied up..no wonder.

My father in law found this fact hysterical. He would tell me the story over and over just to get to me because at that time, I had a really big mixed, wonderful dog that we would take good care of and basically he was a member of our family. My father in law, at every opportunity would comment with snide remarks. He thought this was nonsense and it would often lead into deeper conversations that would raise blood pressure...high.

I just learned to ignore it. But in your case, a poor animal's life is suffering. I realize you cant go to the expense to take the cat to the vet but maybe you can ask your own vet what you can do. I dont think you should call animal control on your husband's parents though..but somehow they have to realise its not such a "trivial" thing.

Is the cat otherwise loved? Do they treat it well aside from neglecting to contact the vet?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I completely understand how you feel. A lot of older country people do believe that animals have "purpose" lol. But if that cat is losing weight, and you think it may be worms see if you can get it a dewormer. They sell them at pet stores, and farm stores. That way the kitty has treatment, and you aren't out a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I completely understand how you feel. A lot of older country people do believe that animals have "purpose" lol. But if that cat is losing weight, and you think it may be worms see if you can get it a dewormer. They sell them at pet stores, and farm stores. That way the kitty has treatment, and you aren't out a lot of money.
Good Call!

Petco:
Cat Wormer - Cat Wormers Without Rx Available Online from PETCO.com

Tractor Supply

Tractor Supply Company - Cat Wormers

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some people are not as dedicated to their pets and I find that very sad. My father in law tells me that you should only have a pet to use it for something. For instance, a cat to chase mice and dog to guard sheep etc.

He used to laugh really hard, a good belly laugh, when he would tell me about his brother's dog that was "used" to guard the farm. His brother threw a piece of very hard bread to the dog but missed and the poor dog's eye was blinded. The dog was pretty mean and tied up..no wonder.

My father in law found this fact hysterical. He would tell me the story over and over just to get to me because at that time, I had a really big mixed, wonderful dog that we would take good care of and basically he was a member of our family. My father in law, at every opportunity would comment with snide remarks. He thought this was nonsense and it would often lead into deeper conversations that would raise blood pressure...high.

I just learned to ignore it. But in your case, a poor animal's life is suffering. I realize you cant go to the expense to take the cat to the vet but maybe you can ask your own vet what you can do. I dont think you should call animal control on your husband's parents though..but somehow they have to realise its not such a "trivial" thing.

Is the cat otherwise loved? Do they treat it well aside from neglecting to contact the vet?
They treat their cats very well otherwise, but they just don't think to visit the vet much often. I just don't want to create an uncomfortable situation with my in laws...Call it scheming but I'm still thinking up of ways to get them to take the cat to the vet. Considering telling them tapeworms are around and they should get treated coz of my son.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts