Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This post is about my family's Chi mix, Lilly. She is ten years old now and she's been with us since we rescued her at 6 weeks old. She has been a faithful and loyal friend ever since. Well, she isn't getting any younger and she is developing some health problems.

Early last week, she started limping pretty bad. She has arthritis, so at first we discounted it as her normal stiffness in the rainy weather. However, it has continued to progress. Last night, she could barely walk- her left leg was completely immobile. We took her to the vet this morning.

They did an x-ray of her spine, hips, and legs. It turns out that on top of her arthritis (which is in her hips) she has spinal degeneration. It can't be fixed or cured but the symptoms can be tempered. The vet seemed very relieved and told us that when he first saw her come in, he thought the worst... He put her on pain meds for a while and she will have to get monthly steroid shots for the inflammation. Apparently, with the shots her symptoms will be controlled.

We told the vet that if she wasn't going to have any quality of life, we didn't want her to suffer. He agreed, but assured us that with the shots and periodic pain meds (when needed), she will at least have a few more months with a comfortable condition. However, there will come a point where she will be so bad that we won't be able to control the pain, and when that time comes we will have a decision to make.

My sister is hysterical. She can't fathom a life without Lilly in it, especially because we just lost Max. We will keep her around as long as she is happy and has a quality existence, but we won't let her suffer. It's just sad...

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
So sorry to hear that. It's so hard to watch an animal grow old. It sounds like you have a plan though, and that's important.

Did the vet say if something like supplements or Recovery SA would help? We had a mini schnauzer with bad arthritis combined with an unknown neurological condition. Some days it would get so bad that his hind legs wouldn't work at all. In addition to a regular daily supplement of glucosamine and chondroitin, Recovery SA really did help (with the arthritis at least). I'm not sure if anyone else on here has tried it, but it honestly made a huge difference. It really improved his flexibility, and it's supposed to help with healing. Might be worth a shot? It definitely isn't a cure, but I feel that in our case, it made our old dog's late retirement more comfortable.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I feel so bad for Lily and your family. All you can do is make her comfortable and treat ever day that you have with her as a gift. I would also try a daily supplement of glucosamine and chondroitin..it can not hurt and if anything it might help a bit. God Bless you and your family for rescuing Lily and giving her such a wonderful life. It sounds to me like you have always done right by her for her entire life and will continue to do so. I know when the "time" comes it will be hard, but don't let it prey on your mind...enjoy every moment you can with her and thank God for bringing Lily into your family's life.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She used to take glucosamine and chondroitin but it turned out that she was allergic to it. We started her on it about two years ago when she started to get arthritis. We tried the tablets, treats with them in it, liquid you put in their water, even food supplemented with it. She had allergic reactions to all of them.

Thanks for the well wishes and compassion. We will definitely do what is best for her during whatever time she has left. Each day with her has been and will be a blessing.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I am so sorry for you. Spoil her rotten. I know you know that. It is very hard to see a family get sick. But you and your sister take really good care of her. Miss Lily knows that too.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, Carrie. We plan on spoiling her!

I feel bad because in August I am moving away, but I have to go to school. So the time I have left with her is going to be special, I'm gonna make sure she's happy and knows I love her just in case.

She is really my sister's dog, she helps warn us of my sister's seizures and is always with her- They are close. My sister has cerebral palsy and epilepsy and Lilly has helped her so much. Michelle is taking it hard, but she knows that the most important thing is to make her comfortable. Plus, who knows how fast this will progress. I mean, she could live another couple of years comfortably. I refuse to give up hope and so does my family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts