Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I suspected, my little Chancey is now a chubby 5 lbs. He was so scrawny up until he was 19 months old, so him gaining some weight was a plus after his neuter. But 5 lbs. is clearly too much for his frame. So looks like Mama has to get on the ball with this. Since this isn’t an overeating issue for him, looks like it’s going to have to be more exercise. Which means I’m going to have to exercise. :lol: He eats less now than before he was neutered, they aren’t free fed, no treats, no table food. He is eating 3 oz. of canned food daily, which is what my Vet prescribed. I’m going to go read more on the threads about the “green bean diet.” Hopefully after I get him down to 4.5 lbs. (his goal weight) he can go back to eating normally. I don’t suspect that eating green beans as a meal would be very healthy long term.

Anyway, this is him at 19 months old. Right before his neuter. Somewhere between 3.5 to 4 lbs. As you can see that is clearly too thin for him.

This is him last night on the scale. 4 lbs. 15 oz.! He doesn't have a crooked nose, or a bummed eye. I guess it's just the camera angle. :lol:

You can see that his mid-section is quite round now. :lol:

My Mom holding him this morning. He is starting to get a fat neck! The extra fluff looks like it's all in is neck and chest. He still has a small indention at the waste, but I just think he's too chubby for his frame.

So wish us luck guys! :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
come join Chico on the green bean diet.... I am blogging his diet on the Chi diary.... My vet told be after Chico got neutered he would need 25% LESS food than before because weight can be gained easlily.... I believe her now although it wasn't entirely Chico's fault.... he never gets table foods but the treats and bully stick were given alittle TOO much.... I hope Chance likes the Green beans as much as chico does....I am like you on not wanting this green bean thing long term but I gotta get him down some before crossing that bridge...

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
come join Chico on the green bean diet.... I am blogging his diet on the Chi diary.... My vet told be after Chico got neutered he would need 25% LESS food than before because weight can be gained easlily.... I believe her now although it wasn't entirely Chico's fault.... he never gets table foods but the treats and bully stick were given alittle TOO much.... I hope Chance likes the Green beans as much as chico does....I am like you on not wanting this green bean thing long term but I gotta get him down some before crossing that bridge...
Yeah, my Vet didn't seem too over concerned about changing Chance's food quantity right after his neuter because he was underweight. We thought it would just put him right where he needed to be. But unfortunately it really slowed his metabolism. I think it was partially due to him being full grown when I had it done. It's been over a year now since Chance had his neuter, and while his weight is stable, it's just a tad too much for his tiny frame. So hopefully these beans do the trick. :lol: We are still rooting for Chico too!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it' been a year and a half since his neuter. Time flies!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Poor little guys. Quigley loves green beans so hopefully little man Chance will too. He is darling any way he is. I know you want him healthy as well. Good luck Chance and good for you Chico for liking the beans. They can join me as well. I eat a lot of green beans. LOL.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he finished breaking the scale. :lol: I knocked it off of my dresser a long time ago, and since then it doesn't wanna come on sometime. It has a 9 volt battery, and when I knocked it off the battery thing broke, and did something to those cords that the battery connects to. I had been having to tape the battery tight, and it would be okay. But lately the display won't come on. So last night I had to beat on the thing to get it to work. Needless to say it scared the crap out of Chance. So in the garbage it goes. Time for a new one. I guess I'll just have to eye his weight until I can get another one.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
T - good for you!! Trimming down Chance is the healthiest thing for him, as you know. Oh gosh though - that pic of him on his back is just THE CUTEST and I LOVE his little neck rolls!!!!

The green bean diet just adds bulk and fiber to the diet. It doesn't actually replace a meal. You feed it WITH their food, just feed less of their regular food and add in the green beans so they have something to chew on and feel satisfied with. The beans make them feel full like they aren't being deprived.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor little guys. Quigley loves green beans so hopefully little man Chance will too. He is darling any way he is. I know you want him healthy as well. Good luck Chance and good for you Chico for liking the beans. They can join me as well. I eat a lot of green beans. LOL.
I think Chance will like the beans, I'll just have to introduce them very slowly. He has IBS, so most things other than his food tear his tummy up. I can just tell lately that his running has slowed too. I think it's because of the extra weight. The little booger is so compact, so it's like a short person being overweight. The Oompa Loompa effect. :lol: He is starting to waddle. My next door neighbor daughter came to visit the other day, and the first thing she said was, "Chance sure has gotten fat!" :lol: I said, hey, say that quietly, he might hear you. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T - good for you!! Trimming down Chance is the healthiest thing for him, as you know. Oh gosh though - that pic of him on his back is just THE CUTEST and I LOVE his little neck rolls!!!!

The green bean diet just adds bulk and fiber to the diet. It doesn't actually replace a meal. You feed it WITH their food, just feed less of their regular food and add in the green beans so they have something to chew on and feel satisfied with. The beans make them feel full like they aren't being deprived.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Those little neck rolls are cute, but that's where he is storing that extra fat! :lol: I'm hoping the GB diet works for him. I am def. going to give it a go. Poor little guy doesn't need this extra weight on him. I'm just thankful he doesn't need to lose too much. If I get to it before it becomes a huge problem, it should be okay. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Be a little careful w/ the beans, T. No salt, just get the frozen kind that the ONLY ingredient is green beans. They would always make Oakley throw up when she'd steal them from Laurel. I would almost recommend pureeing them for him, if you think that's something you can do. The reason I recommend that is you can easily puree them with some water, stir in his canned food, and he probably won't even know the beans are there :) He doesn't look super chunky but maybe a tish! Its soooo cute though, but bad for their joints, definitely. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Also, I know you are happy w/ their diet now, but I will say -- since switching our guys to THK, our sensitive tummy boy has been an absolute star with not a single bout of IBS or colitis...if what you have ever stops working, I vote give THK a try!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be a little careful w/ the beans, T. No salt, just get the frozen kind that the ONLY ingredient is green beans. They would always make Oakley throw up when she'd steal them from Laurel. I would almost recommend pureeing them for him, if you think that's something you can do. The reason I recommend that is you can easily puree them with some water, stir in his canned food, and he probably won't even know the beans are there :) He doesn't look super chunky but maybe a tish! Its soooo cute though, but bad for their joints, definitely. :)
Also, I know you are happy w/ their diet now, but I will say -- since switching our guys to THK, our sensitive tummy boy has been an absolute star with not a single bout of IBS or colitis...if what you have ever stops working, I vote give THK a try!
That sounds like a good idea! I will do that, thanks for the recommendation! :) I'm up for any pointers, cause I have never done a doggie diet. :lol: My guys have always been so teeny that this is all new to me. Chance just blew up within a month after his neuter. He gained 1 whole lb. in 2 months time, with less food! It was crazy!! He looked pretty good, but now he has put on even another 1/2 lb. I was scared to weigh him! It has all settled right in his chest and neck. I think some pics make him look fatter than he is, so I don't want to make it sound like he is obese, cause he isn't. But I just notice the little "extra fluff." Does that make sense? I know that I was used to seeing him so, so skinny, and partly that could be it. But I'm going to try to take off 1/2 lb. and see how he looks. I think in between what he looked like at 19 months, and now (at 3 years old) would be good? At 4.5 lbs. my Vet said he was perfect. So that's what I'm aiming for.

I wouldn't say that I'm "happy" with their diet. It's just what works. Certainly not what I'd choose if we didn't have all that tummy stuff. They wanted them all on a novel protein, and very limited ingredients. That's how we ended up on Wellness Simple. I wanted to do the RAW diet, and don't want to stir up controversy, but my guys did not do well with bones. It scared the heck out of me, so I quit basically before I got started good. Anyway, THK sounds excellent, I have even checked it out. Only problem is I'd have to use the one that I have to add my own meat too, and it looks like it has lots of veggies and stuff. I'm not too sure how well mine would do on that. Last year they all had some terrible tummy bug that almost killed all 4 of them. So I'm super extra cautious about food now. But I would love to switch! Lexie also has allergies. It’s been quite bad lately, so I think I’m going to do the testing to see for sure what it is. Although I did read that the tests aren’t really always super accurate. There is one that is, but the sedate them which I’m not keen on.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww sweet little Chance! I don't think he looks all that chubby really, maybe only a wee bit. Good luck with it, T! :) I think my Pip is getting a wee bit chubby too, I'm trying to nip it in the bud as well.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
We have to watch Zoey's weight too. She gains so easily, she was up to 5.5# one time! EEEK!!!! She looks good at about 4.0-4.5# and so that's where I try to keep her. I have to adjust her food often sometimes depending on how active she is. Good luck getting some weight off of Chancey.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww sweet little Chance! I don't think he looks all that chubby really, maybe only a wee bit. Good luck with it, T! :) I think my Pip is getting a wee bit chubby too, I'm trying to nip it in the bud as well.
I don't know. I hope I'm not being stupid trying to diet him. You guys feel free to tell me the truth. I don't get offended easily. And I don't want to diet him if it isn't needed. Pip doesn't look chubby to me either, at all. Maybe it's because we are used to these skinny girls. :lol:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I don't know. I hope I'm not being stupid trying to diet him. You guys feel free to tell me the truth. I don't get offended easily. And I don't want to diet him if it isn't needed. Pip doesn't look chubby to me either, at all. Maybe it's because we are used to these skinny girls. :lol:
T, he does look a wee bit round, but for these littles a wee bit can be a lot. I know when Zoey gains a few oz she starts having a harder time breathing & getting around more. So I try to keep her at a good weight.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've thought about that test for Bryco too but I heard the same thing -- "it is what it is". So what on earth does THAT mean? LOL. If you're gonna take $160 of my dough, and 3 cc's of my 3.5 lb dog's blood, you better tell me what my doggie's allergic to!

I thought that THK wasn't gonna work for my guys for all the reasons you listed, but I was amazed that not only does Bryco do well on the turkey one he does great on the chicken one too. I know any new thing is scary though when you've had guys w/ any kind of tummy bug...and I totally hear you on the bones thing, my smaller guys need a lot of help w/ the bones, and even then its a lot of supervision so thats why we don't do full on raw. I feel comfortable w/ THK because they kill off any pathogens but don't overprocess it...still, like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not trying to sell ya on it but if you ever have any questions, let me know :) They have turkey, chicken and beef and in a month or two are coming out with a haddock based one. Either way if they are all doing OK, I say leave it be :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have to watch Zoey's weight too. She gains so easily, she was up to 5.5# one time! EEEK!!!! She looks good at about 4.0-4.5# and so that's where I try to keep her. I have to adjust her food often sometimes depending on how active she is. Good luck getting some weight off of Chancey.
Yeah, Chance is my only one that I have to watch. The girls could eat all day long. It's funny because 5 lbs. and even 5.5 lbs. sounds like so little, but some of these guys have such tiny frames. When you put that much weight on them, it just makes them look frumpy. Chance isn't very active at all now that he is neutered. His activity level changed a lot after his surgery. He's happy to sleep all day long now. :lol:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
(and ps, if mine had all almost died from a tummy bug, trust me I would be terrified of ... everything, LOL. I am so glad yours were all ok!).

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
T, he does look a wee bit round, but for these littles a wee bit can be a lot. I know when Zoey gains a few oz she starts having a harder time breathing & getting around more. So I try to keep her at a good weight.
That's what I was thinking. :) Thanks for being honest. I certainly don't want to starve the little guy, but I don't want to put unnecessary weight on such tiny joints either. Not to mention his little heart having to work over time. Like you said, the wee ones can gain a few ounces, and it really shows.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts