Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiffany, who is 10 (almost 11 weeks) old sometimes has intense nightmares. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old and there have been three occurrences. It happens if she is asleep (usually on me) and I attempt to move her. She will make up with a loud yelp and starts wiggling around with her teeth bared and she is extremely shook up. She calms down when she hears my voice and looks very confused. She then needs to be cuddled and held or she will cry :(.
By no means do these nightmares happen every day (not even weekly for that matter), but they seem so intense and she seems so scared that it makes me wonder if this is normal.
Tiffany is such an easy going little girl, she is never aggressive (even with my 20 month old niece who loves to hold and play with her). Tiffany doesn't even protest to wearing clothes (which are really little sweaters made from socks since she is way too little for real clothes). The behavior she displays when waking up from a nightmare is so uncharacteristic, which is why I want to make sure she is okay.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Arielle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning on asking my vet since tiff has to see him next weekend. She really is a sweetheart and so mild tempered! Daisy and lulu are gorgeous! I live the golden color. Did you buy them together? I heard that Chis like the company of other Chis better than other dogs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My Bella sometimes has dreams. I thought they were bad, but another Chi owner doesn't think they are. She will be sleeping, then just start kinda whimpering. It's so sad, I kinda nudge her a bit to make her wake up, and that helps. It's hard to know what's going on in those lil heads of theirs..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am planning on asking my vet since tiff has to see him next weekend. She really is a sweetheart and so mild tempered! Daisy and lulu are gorgeous! I live the golden color. Did you buy them together? I heard that Chis like the company of other Chis better than other dogs.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey has nightmares at times. I just reach out and pet her softly and talk to her. Sometimes she sounds so sad like she is crying in her sleep.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my buster has been a sleep and whimppered loudly and i pet him and say your fine go to sleep just a few soothing words and he seems to sleep better its only happened a few times in a year and a half but he has don eit more than once

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not anything that is happening while she is asleep, it is that she becomes very startled when awaken ( yelps, squirms, attempts to bite) that worries me. Once ah hears my voice she immediately stops and acts like herself again. ( again this has only happened twice in the month I have had her)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Before you know that you're going to wake her up, you could warn her by talking softly and petting her gently letting her know you're going to move or get up. She'll learn to feel safe with your voice & fair warning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! I do move her very gently when I wake her, but I will update with more information if this happens again. I will ask my vet anyway just to be sure. Thanks so much for your help and insight!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think that this little one is sleeping so soundly that when you wake her, that she reacts violently. I would suggest speaking softly and maybe gently rub the top of her head, while speaking to her. Good luck. Sue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.