Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have know idea how many of these chairs I go through a year, LOL!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
OMG!! ROFLMTO! My brother has a great dane...I never quite realized how big they were until I went to visit him 2 yrs ago and my chis went with. They were so tiny compared to him. He moved with the grace of a lumberjack, rofl!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ha ha! Oh wow! That's a chair full that's for sure!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
See now I agree with the lap-sized dane - Wheres the problem? :p

Hes stunning though! Is he a Harlequin? Not 100% when it comes to the giant breeds!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, he is a Harlequin :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
He's so beautiful! I want a Great Dane in the future after we're settled into our house and such. People put big dogs down and don't want them because they think they are so much work and eat way too much but it's so untrue they are just like any other dog and so worth having. They are so adorable! My friend has one and you really don't know how tiny your Chi is until it's standing next to one of these big babies lol

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys! Yes Jan that is Theismann the same boy on the wall in my siggy :)

Kerri, I have been working with Great Danes for years. I have had them before Chi's. I grew up knowing I had to have a Harl one day and bought my first one from a byb without knowing better and he passed before he was 5 yrs old. When he was 3 months old he was diagnosed with a heart murmur. At around 5 months he had Demodetic mange and when he was 9 months old he was diagnosed with Wobbler Syndrome. He had a rough life bless his heart and even though I bought him for a good price $500.00 I ended up paying $1000,s on him. I started volunteering for Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue in my area when he was around 6 months old. I worked for them for years and during that time I rescued a HUGE fawn boy. He was 7 feet tall when he stood on his back legs and 39" at the withers (shoulder), We had to have him euthanized before he was 5 yrs old due to Dilated Cardiomyopathy. He came from one of the biggest Dane byb in that area in the time. This guy was over breeding them to the point that they were having heart attacks on the table being spayed/neutered. Their huge size played a part in their hearts as well. When it comes to the Giant breeds the biggest dog doesnt mean the best dog. They need to grow slow on a low protein diet as puppies as they can have all kinds of issues growing as they grow so fast. It is funny that on the end of the spectrum of chi's where everyone wants a tiny, everyone wants the biggest Giant breed and over feeds them and they end up dying young.

Most think they eat a lot to but they are a low energy breed and your high energy breeds such as GSDs, Dobermans, Labs, etc... tend to eat more as they are more active. They also make good apartment dogs or small home dogs as they are low energy and do not need as much exercise as other breeds. Although beware that puppies can be very energetic and can destroy things easily as well as be clumbsy around children.

Sorry this is so long, I love to talk Danes just like I love to talk Chi's and I tend to get carried away, LOL! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts