Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: My mouse died last night! She was doing really good, she loved her wheel, she was active, eating, drinking and sleeping normal. It looked like she had some sort of cold and then she passed away! I don't know what it was.

I want to get another one or something else small, maybe a dwarf hamster since my daughter really liked having a mouse. I'm just nervous because I don't know what killed her. If I do get something then I will make sure that I disinfect the cage really good.

Another reason I kinda want to get something different is because I told Alex that she got really sick and went to heaven and isn't coming back. And then I don't want to just bring back the same type animal. Maybe a different color?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, and you got him so recently. Hamster dwarfs are really cute, I had one but he passed away. But he lived two years which is about their average life span.

BTW since were talking about mice and hamsters, I was at the pet store a while ago picking out the hamster and I sat a rat eating one of its own babies (newborn). Oh it was so gross.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Awww. Sorry to hear that. Rats and mice normally do not have a very long lifespan. We have had both. I think pet rats only live about 2 years on average. Don't quote me though, I am certainly not an expert.
They are all so cute, good luck with your decision. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your mouse. Get another mouse in a different color and take her with you to pick it out.

Leslie

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Awww I am so sorry to hear about your mouse. I know how you feel about not wanting the same animal. That;s how it was when Karma died...we ended up getting Kismet who looked just like Karma..but my kids were a bit older so I think they for the most part understood that it wasn't Karma.
Let us know what you decide. I think hamsters are adorable but Paul is Anti rodents, that's the one thing he puts his foot down on so I accept it :lol:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Aww, I wonder what happened to that poor little guy?

We have a dwarf hamster. Actually we bought two of the same litter and the one was so mean to the other we had to separate them. One of them is the sweetest thing - would never bite. The other bit everything it was so mean!!

But I do recommend them - they're so cute!

The grey one was the mean one. His name was Munchikins, and the brown one with the stripe is Fat Tony. We still have him, but Munchikins died.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Sorry to hear that your lil mouse passed away. :( I hope you are able to find a new pet for Alex.

I had a hamster growing up and it was the best pet I could have ever asked for. I loved little Hampy. :)

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
awwwww Anna - what a cute name for a hampster :wink:

sorry to hear about your mouse, Kari :(

I'm not particularly font of mice or hampsters lol - I'm still wishing for my chi :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Kari, I am sorry you lost your mouse..

Before you bring the new animal home. clean your cage with bleach in hot water and then let it drip dry. Then let it sit for a couple days and then wash it with hot soapy water to make sure you get the belach out of it... I know what a pain in the butt, but you will have a perfectlly sanitized cage.

we used to do this with our hamster every few months so that they would stay healthy. We had so many tubes and cages it would take us 3 hours to clean the cages every week. It was funny to watch the hamsters after we put them back in the cage after they were in a fishtank for a few days.

and never use cedar wood chips. it will kill them... use the alder(I think that it what it was) it is the stuff petsmart carries.

good luck...

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Im so sorry kari, as this mouse is the sort they sell for food etc ? for snakes I dont think they are always brilliant health as they are usually just bred for food - try a dwarf hamster they are so cute :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Aw so sorry bout your mouse. I also had a pet mouse growing up. I named her Bubbles. She was so great! Sweetest thing in the world. She loved her little ball to run around the house in. Well one night something happened.... We lived right next to a corn field, and somehow a field mouse got into her cage and mated with her and left. We never caught the mouse, we think he just left back for the field... lousy mouse, lol. But anyways before we knew this happend, I noticed after a few days she was getting kinda big. I asked my mom what was wrong with her, i was crying at the time and asked her to take her to the vet, and she did. He said that it was strange but he came to conclusion that she had a tumer in her stomach probably and wasnt going to live but a few more days. I was sooo sad, because I had already had her for almost a year. Well one morning I saw her and she wasnt as big as she usually was! I screamed for my mom and then I looked under one of her little hidding places and she had 12 babies underneath it! 12 babies!!! I was SO happy!! My mom called the vet to let him know and he was glad she was going to die. And i was so happy she wasnt either. Well she lived for another year. She really was the best pet I'd had. And I was surprised a little mouse could live that long! I just wanted to make her happy.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
TiffsLilChi said:
My mom called the vet to let him know and he was glad she was going to die.
Yikes! Nasty vet!!! Just kidding. I know what you meant! :wink: :lol:

Did you keep all of the babies, did she eat any of them?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your mouse...it's hard losing a pet, no matter how big or small they are.

I had gerbils growing up...when i came to vegas i got a hamster...she passed away about 6 months ago (they dont live to long...but my gerbils lived about 4 years) i saw dwarf hamsters at Petco...i wanted one so bad cause they're so cute, but my hubby said "no." :( i had never heard of a sugar glider until this post...so i googled it and i have to say they are sooooo cute! i want one, but the internet says they are only from australia and they haven't exported them to the US in years, so it could be very hard to get one according to the site i looked at.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I'm sooo sorry your mouse died! :( I've had guinea pigs, hamsters, and dwarf hamsters but never mice (the tail annoys me or something :wink: ). The guinea pigs were sweet but alot of work! The hamsters were great! I haven't had a hamster in a couple months cause the last one I had was POSESSED! I had a teddy bear one then I switched it for a black bear. I was sooo creeped out! They were like hissing and growling at me! :shock: Anyway, just make sure you don't get a crazy hamster! :D :lol: :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts