Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.... im new and had a few questions about my new baby.

first of all i just got my puppy yesterday, and this is the first puppy i have ever had.

since she has been here.... i cant get her to eat, or play, or explore. all she will do is sleep. and.... i havent heard her make 1 single sound since i have had her. i am taking her to the vet on saturday, i was just wondering if this is normal. because to me it seems weird. i have had friends with chihuahua puppies, and they seem very excited, happy, and always willing to play. if anyone has any advise i would appreciate it.
thanks
Jennifer

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
you HAVE to get her to eat !!!! maybe she's already suffering from low sugar ...wich can make them very sleepy.
this is something that occurs a lot with chihuahua-puppies especially after stress from being taken from the nest . ( i know i had that too )

so FORCE her to eat !!! get nutrical ! this is a paste you can give her every few hours for the first weeks
you can get it at pharmasists or vets
for the meanwhile give her some honey ....

how old is the puppy?

welcome btw :wave:

ps if she has low sugar and it's not being handled it can be deadly !

kisses nat

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she is 9 weeks old.
and she got car sick 2 times on the way home.
i got the nutri-cal,
and gave her a small amount off my finger last night and this morning.
i dont know, i am worried about her.
i love her already, and want her to be ok.
she is so cute.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i would give it to her every few hours !! to be sure !!

if she's not eating ....nutrical once a day is not enough

try giving some fresh meat or chicken white slices ...you have to make sure she's eating...it's sooo important ! i nearly lost my vienna from not eating and low sugar .
it's normal they are not very outgoing and sleepy at first ....but if she's always tired and gives a weak impression something is wrong .

i hope nothing is wrong with her :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
if she really isn't eating maybe you can try science hill's A/D ( have to get it at a vet's office) and force feed it to her through a syringe :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can understand that she would be scared,
being in a new home and all.
i would be scared in a new place too if i was that small,
but she hasent even made a sound.
i will continue to give her the nutrical,
and hope for the best. she is going to the vet on saturday,
so hopefully everything will be ok.
i guess i just expected her to be more playfull.
thanks for your help though,
any information helps. being a new parent is stressful, and this is my first time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Aww your lil baby, she wil be ok - she'll just be scared of her new surroundings - i give coco some bernard matthews chargrill chicken sometimes and she absolutely loves that - break it into little bits and try offering her the food by hand - speak to her gently, let her get to know your voice, give her some affection and she'll begin to feel more comfortable in her new home!

Hope this helps, Love Gilli & Coco

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
When are you taking her to the vet? I would take her right now...like today....

It's your first puppy...you have never had a dog, you might not know what signs to look for if something is wrong...

A puppy that is not moving is not good, low blood sugar does cause them to be sleepy and all..

it doesn;t seem like your dog is just nervous of her new surroundings..

I almost lost my poodle to low blood sugar, it wasn't until he started having seizures that I realized something was wrong...he was my first dog too, and trust me what I know now, I had no clue about when I first got him...the breeder didn't say anything about it...and I didn't read into the breed either....thank goodness I checked in on him when I did or I would have lost him...

I don't want to scare you, but don't you think It's better to be safe than sorry? Just one trip to the vet, and you can find out what's wrong, and hey, something might not be wrong, but at least the vet can give you some advice... Write down a list of questions to ask your doctor...and get a chihuahua book...I like Chihuahuas for dummies...yu can get it at PetCo, PetSmart, Barnes and Nobles....etc.

From the info you have posted it doesn't seem like it's normal...the baby needs to eat!

While I had a small dog too, chihuahuas are really delicate....different...

Let us know how it goes...and welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Oh I forgot to add...lil babies need to be feed small meals about 4-3 times a day...I only did four until he was 10 weeks...(now with four it was just mini mini meals..lol) then from then on he ate 3 meals...

Now that he is almost 5 months he is down to 2 meals a day...breakfast and dinner...

Just thought I'd add that in :wave:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would get her to the vet right away. She has already gone too long without eating and she could go into shock, the longer she goes the more deadly it can be. I don't want to frighten you, but this is very serious and you must get her to eat. Or give her some sugar-water, if you can. Please call your vet and get her in to be seen! If your vet won't take her today, I'd find one who will.

Let us know how everything is when you get back. Hope all is well

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would get her to the vet today! Even a very small puppy should be active, eating and pooping regularily. Even a scared and shy puppy will come out of its shell to explore somewhat. She may have a bad case of worms or infection, low blood sugar, just about anything. Saturday is to long to wait to get a new puppy in, they should be taken to the vet within 48 hours of arriving at their new home anyway. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts