Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought our new chi Chloe home on Tuesday and we have had a very busy week so far! I'll add pictures at the end! I'm making sure to take her out and about with me as much as possible, but I'm being very careful since she doen't have all of her shots yet. She has been great. She has barely even cried when she is in her play pen at night. and she didn't cry at all last night! So, I've obviously ended up with several questions due to things that have happened this week. I was hoping y'all could help!

First, when people ask if she's a toy/teacup chihuahua how do you respond to that? Since they are strangers I wasn't sure how to go about that.

Second, she is going at everything with an open mouth, and she wants to put everything in her mouth. She's not really biting exactly, but I don't want it to turn into biting. What should I do to try to prevent this? I've been saying no bite every time she does it, but it hasn't even slowed her down at all. I know she's young, but I want to make sure I'm handling it correctly now to prevent a problem later.

I have another question about her food, but I think I'll start a new thread about it since hers was involved in the diamond recall.

Waking up for a nap

In her dress

On the way home from picking her up. She was great in the car!

You can turn your back for a second! There no telling what they'll climb up on!

·
Registered
134 Posts
She's so cute, congrats! My other chi is very snippy with my new puppy, watch them close if you have another dog. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! She is our only pet. She does this more when she's playing and she'll nip at our fingers and stuff. It's not mean at all, but when she gets older it might be more of an issue.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Oh, she's so precious!! Congratulations!! When someone asks you if she's a toy or a teacup, they don't know much about dogs as there's no such thing. There's just small chis & so on.
She's teething, so you need a teething ring. Everytime you find her chewing on something she's not supposed to, reinforce proper behavior by giving her the teething ring or whatever she's using. You can put a stuffed animal in the pen with her at night to snuggle. If she does start crying at night, you could play some low soft music for her.

That dress looks so adorable on her!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. She has a bully stick. Does that work for teething or does she need something different?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
She is adorable!

As far as your questions go:

1. As far as the teacup question I would simply say that unfortunately, teacups are a myth. She is a perfectly sized puppy that will grow into a healthy dog. Just be kind about it and try not to sound condescending.

2. To prevent biting, redirect her every time she goes to chew your fingers/hand/other no-no chew thing. Give her a toy, bone, whatever to redirect the urge. It's perfectly okay for her to chew, but she needs to learn to chew the correct things. I have used Nylabones for Toby and we used them for all my other dogs as well- they have worked well for us (They are available at just about any pet store). I've heard bully sticks help too. In my experience, lots of toys= less need to chew furniture, bite, etc.

If she does start nipping you, yelp like her littermates would. Just a high pitched "yip". Then pull your hand or whatever away and ignore her for a few minutes. She'll get the message that it is not okay.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Aww adorable, another little chocolate tri-coloured Chloe! I hope she brings you as much joy as my little chocolate cupcake does!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
she is a little heart stealer....she looks so cute in that tiny little dress....I look forward to watching her grow-up....
I get so tired of answering the " Teacup " question....it never stops...I just smile and say " they are just chihuahuas " If I feel like having a conversation I will do the explanation about " no such thing as a T/cup etc " But after 9 years it is a tedious subject for me ...

·
Registered
688 Posts
she is a little heart stealer....she looks so cute in that tiny little dress....I look forward to watching her grow-up....
I get so tired of answering the " Teacup " question....it never stops...I just smile and say " they are just chihuahuas " If I feel like having a conversation I will do the explanation about " no such thing as a T/cup etc " But after 9 years it is a tedious subject for me ...

Itz funny now to me when people ask i have gotten to where i say no there not t cup chihuahuas or toys, there not even chihuahuas at all they are dobermans :rolleyes: and they look at me wierd so i politely walk away n smile hehe!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Omg your pup is so adorable how old is she if you don't mind me asking. I just got a new puppy as well he is 10 weeks old and I just adore him I called him Charlie. I hope to here all about your new babies antics and progress as she grows. She really is so cute. She's sure is tiny my little guy is very tiny as well but they do grow fast I must say.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Omg your pup is so adorable how old is she if you don't mind me asking. I just got a new puppy as well he is 10 weeks old and I just adore him I called him Charlie. I hope to here all about your new babies antics and progress as she grows. She really is so cute. She's sure is tiny my little guy is very tiny as well but they do grow fast I must say.
She is 10 weeks old, too! She is very tiny. We went to the vet on Wednesday and she weighed 1lb 13oz.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Oh my gosh, she's adorable!! When people ask if Odie's a teacup, I usually just say no. Most strangers that ask seem to not be interested in an explanation. For the biting, like everyone else has said, lots of chew toys! Is she interested in the bully stick? We had a few nylabones for ours when she was little, and we'd put them in the freezer for a bit. We also did the yelping or saying ouch high pitched when she would bite too hard, and it's true--it startles them. It works for rats, too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts