Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone give me some tips.My new chi is being so fussy and i am having to hand feed her to get her to eat her dried food (arden grange its called all my dogs are on it) she is pooping and peeing fine but picks to get by instead of eating a meal i dont leave her food down as my other chis wold eat it i have even tried a little canned food through her food but ohh no a sniff then walks away.Any tips would be great...This is my third chi but she is the hardest i have had food ways....thanks:(

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Depending on how old your pup is, I would try soaking the dry food in some milk and hitting it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Are you feeding the Arden Puppy food? You could try adding egg, little bits of chicken, beef, etc.. Sounds like she hasn't learned to eat on her own yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh she knows to eat ok lol..its just when she wants and little bits all day long.She is on the arden grange weaning as this can be given up to ten months.She dosnt like it wet and im not going to give her milk as she is completly weaned off her mum.Dont want to go backwards.The breeder left the food down for the 3 puppies and they ate what they wanted when they wanted i cant do that as have 6 other dogs.The problem is getting her to eat a decent amount at each feed time 3-4 times a day...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She'll learn. As long as she's eating something and not acting sick. I wouldn't worry about it too much. She has to relearn YOUR routine that food isn't left down all the time and when you put it down for her, she has to eat. If you're putting food down 3-4 times a day, she definitely won't go hungry. I couldn't imagine having 6 dogs and feeding them 3-4 times a day. When do you have time for yourself. lol
I only have 1 and she gets fed twice a day & she lets me know when it's time. Haha

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It sounds like she's just not hungry enough when she's fed. You don't mention her age or weight, and if she's too young or too small this might not be advisable, but I'd decrease the amount you feed her at each meal, and cut back her feedings to 3, or even 2 times a day, so that when she's finally offered food, she's actually hungry enough to eat a decent amount. When Jazz was a puppy I fed her 3X a day to start out, making sure that the total amount I wanted her to eat daily was evenly spread out between the three feedings. As soon as she started not eating all of her middle meal, I cut that one out completely and split that amount equally between her morning and evening feedings.

If your pup is healthy, she's not going to starve herself. When she gets hungry enough, she'll vaccuum up her food faster than you can believe lol! It just sounds to me like she's getting too much food too frequently. You shouldn't have to entice a dog to eat (unless they're sick and their appetites are off) with special, or different food. If they're hungry, they WILL eat.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She'll learn. As long as she's eating something and not acting sick. I wouldn't worry about it too much. She has to relearn YOUR routine that food isn't left down all the time and when you put it down for her, she has to eat. If you're putting food down 3-4 times a day, she definitely won't go hungry. I couldn't imagine having 6 dogs and feeding them 3-4 times a day. When do you have time for yourself. lol
I only have 1 and she gets fed twice a day & she lets me know when it's time. Haha
its only the puppy that is getting feed 3-4 times the 2 other chis are only morning and evening and my 4 other dogs with the exception of one are fed once a day...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like she's just not hungry enough when she's fed. You don't mention her age or weight, and if she's too young or too small this might not be advisable, but I'd decrease the amount you feed her at each meal, and cut back her feedings to 3, or even 2 times a day, so that when she's finally offered food, she's actually hungry enough to eat a decent amount. When Jazz was a puppy I fed her 3X a day to start out, making sure that the total amount I wanted her to eat daily was evenly spread out between the three feedings. As soon as she started not eating all of her middle meal, I cut that one out completely and split that amount equally between her morning and evening feedings.

If your pup is healthy, she's not going to starve herself. When she gets hungry enough, she'll vaccuum up her food faster than you can believe lol! It just sounds to me like she's getting too much food too frequently. You shouldn't have to entice a dog to eat (unless they're sick and their appetites are off) with special, or different food. If they're hungry, they WILL eat.
She is 8 weeks and weighs 2.4 pounds and isnt eating the amount she should be at each feed sha just picking a few bits out and making do....Im sure it will sort itself out.Thanks anyway....:)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think because her breeder free fed she doesn't realise that's when shes meant to eat I agree no milk no free feeding :) I would personally give tough love she's a big puppy you shouldn't have probs with hypoglycaemia but keep an eye on her I'm sure ou know the signs and what to do but I would literally play tough love put her food down for 15 mins if she doesn't eat it tough offer it again at lunch but just keep an eye on her sugar levels

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Could anyone give me some tips.My new chi is being so fussy and i am having to hand feed her to get her to eat her dried food
How long have you had her ? My Zeta would only eat hand feed for the first 3 days when I got her home , it took her a few days to settle ...

Personally (I know it's not what other people have said, and is only my opinion ) but I would hand feed her her dry food for now , I couldn't let such a young dog go without , yes it may make her hard work to get to eat on her own as an older dog but for now I'd be to scared to let her go without at such a younger age ...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have had her 6 days and as i said she is eating enough to get by as she is pooing regularly and peein also but she is picking at it when its put down.Iam going to cut her to 3 feeds a day and see how it goes.I got her weighed yesterday and she is 2.4 pounds.Thanks a lot everyone for your input.xx:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts