Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums here and am new to being a Chihuahua owner. The dog was purchased from a breeder on May 28th and she is about 9 weeks old now. About two days after getting her home she began exhibiting the signs of Parvovirus (Tuesday the 31st of May is when she became symptomatic), as a result I quickly took her to the Vet. She came back strong positive for Parvo and has been in a 24 hour animal hospital since Tuesday afternoon (She is receiving fluids, potassium, dextrose, etc all through IV and is fighting for her life). Needless to say I am a total wreck and cannot stop worrying about my new pup.

I just wanted to share my story with you all and possibly hear some of your experiences with this horrible disease. I am still waiting to hear back from the Vet tonight on the status of her white blood cell count =(.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
OMG I am so sorry to hear your baby is so sick. I will say a special prayer for her. Dont give up on her! My friend had a pomeranian who had parvo and she ended up living to be 17yrs old. They told her the pom had little chances of surviving cause of her size but she was a fighter!

I know you probably dont want to do this, but you can always take her back to the breeder, there should had been a health guarantee with her.
I say that, but trust me if I was in your shoes there would be no way in...well you know where...that I would bring her back.

You stay strong for her and know you have all of us here to talk to so you can get through this.

Best of luck!!!!
-Jessica

PS - please let us know how she is as soon as u can :)

I am Catholic and there is a special prayer we say for sick animals. Since this is religious I truely hope this doesnt offend anyone...this is just the prayer I say whenever there is an animal I know that is ill.

St. Francis of Assisi Lover of all Creation Prayer for Sick Animals:
Heavenly Father,
you created all things for your glory
and made us stewards of this creature
If it is your will, restore it to health and strength.
Blessed are you, Lord God,
and holy is your name for ever and ever.
Amen

(you would obviously replace "it" with the animals name. It is said that you are suppose to say this prayer 9x a day while your pet is ill.[/u]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Oh my goodness, i'm so sorry your little baby has parvo. did the breeder you got her from give you any papers from a vet saying she had her first vaccines? and did the breeder offer any kind of "health warranty" on her? i would call up the person you got her from and let her know whats going on. i'll be praying for your chi, and hopefully you got her to the vets in time. just think positive thoughts and give her all your love and attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got her to the Animal Hospital about 3-4 hours after she became symptomatic. The breeder informed me that the pup had been given her first round of shots. However, after repeated phone calls / attempts at contact, the breeder has not contacted me back after going on 3 days now (since I purchased the dog).

P.S. - I would never consider taking her back. Even though I've only had her about 5 days (with about 3 spent in the hospital) she is part of the family.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Isnt it amazing just how quickly they become one of the family. I swear I only had Kylie 24 hours and I was already crying when she had to have surgery. They just have a special way of winning us over
Again I wish you all the luck in the world. Oh, what is your little chi's name?? I will pray she has the strength to make it through this.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
prayers going out to your pup! don't give up hope on this baby.

check the articles section of the forum i posted a helpful article on parvo......

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
i will be thinking of your pup , welcome to the forum - do a search of the site for parvo as we have had quite a few members lately who have had parvo :wave:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am so sorry to hear your pup has parvo. I do hope she makes it through this. I know how hard it is when your puppy gets sick right after getting it, my Chiquitita came from the breeder with a horrible case of kennel cough. I never did think about getting her back to the breeder, even though she offer to take her back and give me a new pup. I just couldn't do it, I was already attached to her before I had her. Please, keep us posted on the situation of your puppy. Does she already have a name?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi- Sorry to hear about your situation. Same thing happened to us when Reba was about that age and 1 lb. 1 0z. Thought we were going to lose her about 3 different times. I stayed home with her and did SQ fluids, antibiotics from the vet, also gamma globulin injections at the vet's, Cleaned, cleaned , cleaned. Anyway, Reba finally pulled out of it, but we spent a very scary, exhausting week before it was all over with. I hope the same for your little one. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tucker had Parvo at 7 weeks old when he weighed only 1.2 pounds. He remained at the vet clinic for 8 days. Prayer and good vetting pulled him through. Tucker is now 16 months old, and has suffered no long lasting effects from having had Parvo. Please keep us updated on your puppy. Prayers coming your way for a full recovery.

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
hi im so sorry your baby is ill mine is to at the mo and im hoping she will pull through they are so tiny and fragile it so painful to watch them go through it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you to all who posted and thanks for all your warm heartfelt sympathy. This past week has been absolute insanity. After 7 days in the hospital and a very hefty bill, my pup is now back home and doing well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts