Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet just called and said that they tested the fecal i brought in with her yesterday and she has roundworm and coccidia! :evil: They dewormed her yesterday so she is ok on the roundworm but she has coccidia and i am scared! What is it and is she going to be ok? Is it as bad as parvo? I am going to the vet right now to get her new meds. I am scared can someone tell me what to expect?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh honey I don't know, but I am praying that your baby will be okay. I am sure others are more experienced with these types of things and can give you some answers. Good luck and sending good vibes your way.

Leslie

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
From what I understand, as long as the pup gets the meds, everything will be fine. Poor little thing ... I sure hope she gets to feeling better ASAP!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Coccidia is easily treated with Albon and provided you are diligent and get repeated fecal samples done EVEN AFTER the tests come back clean all will be fine. After the last one comes back ok, wait three weeks and re-test. :wave:
Dont worry

The dogs easily take the Albon too

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My Sandy had it.
She took 2 rounds of the liquid Albon, which didn't work for her. They finally got rid of it by giving her the pill form of Albon.

Just make sure you give her all the medicine they tell you to.
You might want to give her some Nutracal or Nutrastat to avoid hypoglycemia. I think the Coccidia upsets their tummys so they don't want to eat.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
oh

poor baby!! My thoughts and prayers are with you i hope your baby is ok..
kisses and licks
Roie and scoot

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone, she seems to be feeling a lot better and she is eating well. I spoke to the breeder about it and she was absolutely furious. The pup was from a mother she had let use stud service and thought this woman was ok. She could only trust what the woman said. She totally apologized and offered to replace the pup but i love her too much already to even think of that. It wasnt their fault but they said they are going to contact the woman and raise hell. So i guess that is good, i am just really mad at that woman who had the mom of these pups :evil:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I found this info for you:

"Coccidia are one celled protozoans that are intracellular parasites of
the lining of the small intestine that occur with some frequency. Eimeria
and Isospora are the two most common coccidia of the dog. Infection
occurs upon ingestion of contaminated feces or food. Upon ingestion, the
parasite colonizes the lining of the small intestine and reproduction
begins. As reproduction progresses the new coccidia are shed through the
feces to the environment. Shedding of the protozoan can be asymptomatic
or associated with signs of diarrhea and bloody stools. Puppies are most
commonly affected. Most infections are not apparent and resolve on their
own by self immunization. Occasionally, signs will occur and can be quite
severe in heavily compromised pups. Adult dogs usually display
significant immunity. Treatment for coccidia consist of antimicrobials
that are bacteriostatic. These drugs stop the growth of coccidia and then
the host¹s immune system responds to rid the intestine of the parasite.
Sulfas are frequently employed as a coccidiastat. In kennel environments,
prevention is essential. Usually good steam cleaning of kennels will
eliminate the infestation of the environment. When the environment is
difficult to control coccidiastats can be added in the feed or water for
late stage pregnant bitches or young pups 3-6 weeks of age. Coccidia of
the dog are not a zoonotic threat."

·
Registered
154 Posts
My pup has that same thing, only she has no problem eating at all. Tomorrow is her last med day, then she goes to the vet again soon. :(

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi had it too. i had her treated and then tested again and it came back positive so i had her treated again and after the second treatment she was all clear. it can be scarey especially when they start pooping with blood in it. chiwi only had that one time though... good luck! your in my prayers...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts