Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just yesterday bought a 6 weeks old chihuahua puppy. i would love to have some advice on him. how to get him to settle down to sleep at night time.what can i expect training wise with a puppy of this age???. also he is scratching a bit what flea products would be ok for him.is it ok that i am feeding him ceaser puppy food.?? howe soon should i put a collar on him and leash???.any help would be appreciated so much. im new at this. :wink: :wink: oh and hes had some shots and i wondered when he is meant to have more??

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Hi!

I'm new too!! Congrats on your new baby!!

This is my little bear Gizmo

http://www.dogster.com/?141371

He is 10 weeks old, and is practically potty-trained, BUT i don't work so I can devote my entire day to him, so I might not be of the best help. As far as him sleeping at night, he sleeps in his crate next to our bed, he sleeps now for 8 hours straight, but, 2 weeks ago he woke up every 4 hours whining, which meant take me outside to pee!! But like I said since I don't work I was able to wake up and take him out with no problem....

I watch him like a hawk though...if I see him sniffing the floor, outside he goes! He hasn't had any accidents inside the house thus far, but he did have a couple out on the deck....

With that being said, good luck! and enjoy your fuzzy baby!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Hi!

SunnyFLMum said:
I'm new too!! Congrats on your new baby!!

This is my little bear Gizmo

http://www.dogster.com/?141371

He is 10 weeks old, and is practically potty-trained, BUT i don't work so I can devote my entire day to him, so I might not be of the best help. As far as him sleeping at night, he sleeps in his crate next to our bed, he sleeps now for 8 hours straight, but, 2 weeks ago he woke up every 4 hours whining, which meant take me outside to pee!! But like I said since I don't work I was able to wake up and take him out with no problem....

I watch him like a hawk though...if I see him sniffing the floor, outside he goes! He hasn't had any accidents inside the house thus far, but he did have a couple out on the deck....

With that being said, good luck! and enjoy your fuzzy baby!
i dont work much ethier!!!. i work outside in a outdoor shopping mall.for about 4 hours and in that time he is snugggles inside my friends jacket. heehheee. do you have nay advice??.not sure when to start leash training him. i put a collar and liscence on him already. :wink:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Start with the collar, harness and leash training now. If you wait too long, you will have mega trouble getting him to accept it. When I first got Tucker at 8 weeks old, I put a collar on him and he was fine with it. I didn't continue to make him wear it, and he's 15 months old now and won't tolerate it. I should have left the collar on him. :(

Also, do not attach a leash to his collar. Use a harness instead. Chis have very delicate tracheas and you can cause irreversible damage if he pulls too hard against the leash. Use the collar for his I.D. and rabies tags.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello 6 weeks is very young to take a pup away fron it's mother. be sure to feed 3 or 4 times a day. Make sure you have some nutrical on hand in case of hypoglcemia. As Tuckers mom said walk with a harness not a leash but you should not take a puppy outdoors where any dogs have been until he has had all his shots

·
Registered
273 Posts
tinksplace said:
hi just yesterday bought a 6 weeks old chihuahua puppy. i would love to have some advice on him. how to get him to settle down to sleep at night time.what can i expect training wise with a puppy of this age???. also he is scratching a bit what flea products would be ok for him.is it ok that i am feeding him ceaser puppy food.?? howe soon should i put a collar on him and leash???.any help would be appreciated so much. im new at this. :wink: :wink: oh and hes had some shots and i wondered when he is meant to have more??

Hi and welcome! I only have one anser for your question about the Cesar puppy food.... DON'T FEED HIM THAT. PLEASE DON'T. I got my baby when she was 8 weeks and the guy told me to feed her Cesar puppy food. She got hypoglycemic after 2 days! :cry: That brand is soooo cheap! Buy expensive brands. The people that make Science Diet, Royal Canin, etc. put a lot of money into their product, so it's better for pups/dogs. I'm no expert, but through my experience, I'm letting you know. And Nutri-Cal is the best!!! I keep that on hand too! Good luck with your baby chi!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:shock: :shock: oh really? *starts to worry* i was feeding him the little tins of caerser puppy food. :shock: :shock: *yikes* so ill go to the pet-co tommrow in the day [being as ceaser is all i have for now hell have to have it till the morning]oh no i hope i havent made him sick. he seems fine. :cry: :cry: :cry: i got a flea collar for him too and put it on him. ill be sure to geta harness tommrow too but when do i start leasih walking him.?? wotn i have to wait till 12 weeks when he gets his further shots???. i can get nutricall at petco too yeah??? :? :?oh and does anybody know any very reasonably priced vets in the los angeles area???. especially west.la ???? :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't want to worry you either!! Sorry!! I doubt your chi will eat dry food.. But there are really great wet food brands out there. Check the sticky on hypoglycemia. Someone (I forgot who..sorry!! :oops: ) posted an article about it. Few things to look for(if you can't find the article) is if your chi is weak, throwing up, has diarrhea, and white gums. (I still continually check my chi's gums daily.) She's already 12 weeks, but barely 2 pounds! If you do see signs I mentioned, try rubbing a little bit of Karo syrup or honey on your chi's gums because it gets into their blood stream faster. But not too much because if you do, their blood glucose could go way up and then crash very quickly. If there are more questions or updates, please post! We would all be happy to help out in any way possibles! :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awwwww your so sweet *huggles you* . its cool i m just new at this so its kind of overwhelming but exciting as well. lol. i would like to know when i should put a harness on him. and is he ok outside with me cuddled up ina comfy blanket on my friends lap while i work at the outdoor mall??? hes not placed on the ground ever. just sits very niceoy in my friends lap. for a few hours. all other times hes safe at home in a nice warm apartment.any tips on getting him off to sleep and stay sleeping *yawns*. he seem to like this brown cardboard box with plenty of blankets inmside it at the moment.thats right by my bed. heheeee. i do appreciate any advice i get.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Can I ask where you got him?

These folks have already given you good advice but I suggest you take your puppy to a vet for a checkup as soon as possible. He's quite young to have been taken from his birth mommy... is there a particular reason why that happened? If not, I'd be very concerned that maybe the "breeder" didn't do everything that should have been done for your pup.

Try not to worry too much, but please have him checked out by a vet so you know you're on the right track with shots, nutrition, flea meds, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Since your puppy is too young (and hasn't had all of his vaccinations) to walk around outside on the ground yet for you to leash train, just do it inside the house. If you are training to potty pads, you can put his leash on whenever you think it's time for him to go potty and walk him to his pad. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got him from a breeder. :wink: thanks for all the help everyone has given me.i will got to pet-co in a hour and get him better food for a start. :wink:
maybe i could ask them too for any more questions i have. :wink:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you read through all of the old posts on this forum, you will probably find answers to all of your questions. That's what I did when I joined, and it was a great help to me. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh thank you that sounds like a good idea!!! :wink: i just bought nutro max puppy food dry . the pet store said it was good but the puppy is having trouble chewing it so any good tips on moistening fast.???.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
warm water softens the food faster than cold water, and let it soak for a few minutes. you do want to leave it so there is some crunch to it (good for the teeth.) also make sure you get small breed food so the pieces are smaller and easier to chew.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
when Gadget first started on dry food I had to put it through the food processor to crunch it up a little and then I put water in the micro to get it hot and then I poured it over his food and let it sit there for a few minutes... He was on Science Diet small puppy bites. He ate that for a few weeeks then I put some of the dry processed food his bowl adn let him eat it.. as time went by I started mixing in the regular size food to both the dry dish and the wet stuff.. he began to like the dry stuff more then the wet stuff so I stopped wetting it for him and then he was all happy and eating it right out of the bag... hehhehehe Now I have him on Royal canin small breed puppy... he stopped liking the Science Diet... I also give him canned food at dinner time...

He was 3 weeks when I got him... I know way too young but it was bettter for him to come home with me then to stay with his birth mom...

good luck and god bless...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh thank you so much.for your help. :wink: :wink: the packet says all breeds and sizes i was witha nutro person at the time.i was in pet-co. i put the flea collar on him but he is stillscratching. becuase he is so young i cant use any drops or anything till he is 8 weeks.this collar says for puppies and dogs at 6 weeks or older. :wink: :wink:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hello 6 weeks is very young to take a pup away fron it's mother. be sure to feed 3 or 4 times a day. Make sure you have some nutrical on hand in case of hypoglcemia. As Tuckers mom said walk with a harness not a leash but you should not take a puppy outdoors where any dogs have been until he has had all his shots

Totally agree :wave:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts