Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We have a 55G fish tank that contains 4 Goldfish (Wintress, Addison, Sawyer & Liam) and 3 Snails (Gary, Apricot & Sage)

Our 55G fish tank. (Don't mind the two little filters, we had a big one and it broke thankfully these took it's place for a few days before we got another one!) Also the tank is not green our wall paint is Sage Green so it looks weird in photos.

The big black snail is Gary (You can't have a snail without naming it Gary! -- spongebob lol), the little orange fish is Sawyer, big orange fish is Addison, big white fish is Wintress.

Apricot

Gary

Little golden snail is Apricot & little white fish is Liam.

These two are best friends. It is very RARE to see them NOT by each others side. It's very sweet. They have been together so long.

Wanted to throw this pic in of Wintress & Addison 3 months after we got our first fish since we were kids. Sadly the others lived to only be a year. I had no clue about fish when we first got them I was shocked they lived, but now I know so much about fish and SO glad to have a 55G we started out with a 10G, way too small for all those fish!

This was Wintress & Addison two years ago.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Lovely aquarium.. and so roomy. Watching fish tanks is so relaxing to me..

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Nice tank!!
I have a Saltwater tank.... have had it for yrs.... and love every minute watching it.... better than TV...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lovely aquarium.. and so roomy. Watching fish tanks is so relaxing to me..
Thanks! I love our tank! We just got our 55G a few months ago so it's so much better! We had our 10G and I was in heaven with that so now I'm in extra Heaven LOL

Nice tank!!
I have a Saltwater tank.... have had it for yrs.... and love every minute watching it.... better than TV...
I want a Saltwater tank so bad! You're so lucky! I do not know anything about Saltwater, is it as hard as everybody is telling me? I want to learn about it but not until we move into our house (Which will be a while LOL) but still in the future I want one! I was wanting to start a 10G saltwater but so many people said its' much easier in a 55G, what do you think? I so agree, watching the fish are so much more fun than tv!! After we got our first 6 fish we went a year without a snail, I never had any intrest in them. After we got one I'll always have snails now. They are so awesome LOL I sound like a kid!

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I want a Saltwater tank so bad!
I love my saltwater tank.. I had a perfectly balanced 55gal, and now traded up to a 150gal.... the larger the tank the easier it is to care for.... where a small 10gal can go haywire in a matter of minutes... the larger tank you will have a little time to figure out what happened and fix it before you lose everything.... I deal will very rare corals and love every minute taking care of them/feeding them... the fish are common saltwater fish but I still love them-although I have never named them....:coolwink:...its very expensive but if you have the $$$ in your budget, the saltwater has much more colorful fish and other inhabitants....the lights are the most expensive item on the saltwater-almost doubles my electric bill *sigh* and then the filtration system....... so get ready for that if you get the tank...

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I have a little tropical tank in my kitchen,with a bottom feeder that was my mums ,when she died i took it so it must be over14 years old and a garden pond with koi and goldfish

·
Registered
809 Posts
Very nice!

I have a 24 gallon saltwater tank. I love watching it, very relaxing. I have corals as well as fish. It is quite expensive but I've found that you can buy stuff used much cheaper than through a store. I also belong to a local reef club where we trade and sell corals which is much cheaper than buying through a store.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wow! I can't believe Wintress and Addison have lived so long! I would always win goldfish from the carnival when I was younger... they lived for maybe a week. MAYBE. Of course, I didn't have a 55G tank, but still! Even my Beta fish wouldn't live for very long! I don't know why! :( But anyways, your tank is very nice! I love that you have named all of your fish and snails!! I think my favorite is Apricot the snail. Hehehe! :toothy10:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I love my saltwater tank.. I had a perfectly balanced 55gal, and now traded up to a 150gal.... the larger the tank the easier it is to care for.... where a small 10gal can go haywire in a matter of minutes... the larger tank you will have a little time to figure out what happened and fix it before you lose everything.... I deal will very rare corals and love every minute taking care of them/feeding them... the fish are common saltwater fish but I still love them-although I have never named them....:coolwink:...its very expensive but if you have the $$$ in your budget, the saltwater has much more colorful fish and other inhabitants....the lights are the most expensive item on the saltwater-almost doubles my electric bill *sigh* and then the filtration system....... so get ready for that if you get the tank...
Lovely fish dear.

Jan i'd LOVE to see your tank, mind posting some pics? I think we have some fish lovers in here.

I had a couple betas when I moved out on my own, Gayle and Oliver, but they died after about a year in my care. My OH calls me the fish-slaughterer :(

We have a friend whose dad is a doctor, he had a salt water tank built right into his foyer wall. I don't want to know how many gallons are in it, or what it costs to upkeep. It's BEAUTIFUL though :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I have been doing a lot of research on Saltwater and asking questions at different pet stores, everybody says the same thing about a bigger tank is easier. One day we'll turn our 55G into a salt or just get another one because I truly just love taking care of the fish. My Uncle use to have a saltwater tank HUGE bigger than our 55G but he's passed away and I can't ask him anything now. I wish back then I would have been interested in that stuff but I just wasn't! Blah! lol My fiance and I have been going pet Petstores and looking at all the different fish we want (Saltwater) they are very expensive but I think it's so worth it all! They are just beautiful to watch and so relaxing. I guess I won't even try to do the 10G because I really hate to lose a beautiful fish like that and plus it's probably more fair for them to live in something bigger. LOL You should so name your little critters! We just bought the 2 little fish a few months back but we finally just named them a couple weeks ago. I feel more attached when I name things lol Thanks for the info hon!

I have a little tropical tank in my kitchen,with a bottom feeder that was my mums ,when she died i took it so it must be over14 years old and a garden pond with koi and goldfish
Wow that is amazing Michele!!! 14 years! When we move I'll be getting a Koi pond or something outside as well. I just love all that stuff makes the house/yard look so beautiful!

Very nice!

I have a 24 gallon saltwater tank. I love watching it, very relaxing. I have corals as well as fish. It is quite expensive but I've found that you can buy stuff used much cheaper than through a store. I also belong to a local reef club where we trade and sell corals which is much cheaper than buying through a store.
That's a cool idea, being apart of a club. I would love to have a saltwater! I'm tempted to start one before we move into our house! I just love fish!

Wow! I can't believe Wintress and Addison have lived so long! I would always win goldfish from the carnival when I was younger... they lived for maybe a week. MAYBE. Of course, I didn't have a 55G tank, but still! Even my Beta fish wouldn't live for very long! I don't know why! :( But anyways, your tank is very nice! I love that you have named all of your fish and snails!! I think my favorite is Apricot the snail. Hehehe! :toothy10:

Thanks hon! :D
When I was a kid I would get fish now and then, never lasted long at all. We just had a little bowl and I would only get 1 goldfish at a time. Well turns out living in that little bowl is no fun and they love to be with other fish. Two years ago we went to Walmart to just look we ended up coming home with 4 fish and 2 fantails I had no idea what kind of tank the Fish worker at Walmart suggested us a tank that was 5G so we bought it. Got it home and they were cramped in there I was like NO WAY so we took it back and got the 10G. Still not big enough for all of them but they survived a good year. 3 fish died over the year time and 1 committed suicide by jumping out of our tank (So sad too) but Wintress and Addison survived the longest. We just bought our 55G a few months back so they are in Heaven in their new HUGE mansion lol ;) They lived 1 1/2 year in a 10G. The 55G is so much easier to clean as well!! So I agree with salt/fresh bigger is better!

Lovely fish dear.

Jan i'd LOVE to see your tank, mind posting some pics? I think we have some fish lovers in here.

I had a couple betas when I moved out on my own, Gayle and Oliver, but they died after about a year in my care. My OH calls me the fish-slaughterer :(

We have a friend whose dad is a doctor, he had a salt water tank built right into his foyer wall. I don't want to know how many gallons are in it, or what it costs to upkeep. It's BEAUTIFUL though :(
Thanks hon! Jan I would love to see your tank as well!!! :hello1: Anybody else with fish I would love to see too! I was going to post this a while back but I didn't think anybody would care LOL I guess I'm not the only fish nut! ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
NICE to see someone outside of a goldfish forum giving their goldies proper housing. Those goldie myths tend to die hard.
I'm a goldie keeper too.
If you count my goldie that is not currently with me due to complications with professional cleaning due to soot. Hir name ( I can't sex the goldie yet) is Bromley.
Planning to get a 70 gal tank and at least one more goldie this spring.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have pics of Bromley goldfish and I'll put them up eventually when I have my own internet again and can find the cord to the camera in the storage.
Hopefully by that time, Bromley will be moving into the new 70...:).

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Great pics! We used to have a 55 gallon tank as well as some smaller sized ones. We had both salt water and fresh water fish. This was back when I was still with my first husband. They were so soothing. :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NICE to see someone outside of a goldfish forum giving their goldies proper housing. Those goldie myths tend to die hard.
I'm a goldie keeper too.
If you count my goldie that is not currently with me due to complications with professional cleaning due to soot. Hir name ( I can't sex the goldie yet) is Bromley.
Planning to get a 70 gal tank and at least one more goldie this spring.
Thanks hon! They didn't always have proper housing, as I was clueless when it came to fish. Now I know they deserve much room than most people give them. I will never go back to a bowl (that was when I was a kid though LOL)

I'll get some pics when I get home tonight....
:hello1: Can't wait to see!

I have pics of Bromley goldfish and I'll put them up eventually when I have my own internet again and can find the cord to the camera in the storage.
Hopefully by that time, Bromley will be moving into the new 70...:).
Great! I'd love to see your tank as well!

i love the fact u named ur fish and snails! so cute!! x
LOL I name everything that is mine (Animal wise) Well Joey helped pick out names too! ;)

Great pics! We used to have a 55 gallon tank as well as some smaller sized ones. We had both salt water and fresh water fish. This was back when I was still with my first husband. They were so soothing. :)
Thanks hon! I want a fresh water tank! We go to pet shops and look at all the different fish they have and they are just beautiful I could watch them all day! You should start your tank back up! Many people without fish think it's a lot of hard work, yes effort goes into it, but it's not as hard as you think. That's for fresh water, I've heard SO many stories about Salt but I still want to try one day. Maybe youall can give me some tips! LOL

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lovely tank! i love Gary :)
lol Thanks, he's our biggest! He is huge!

i was going to say the exact same thing :)
hehe My friends think it's funny I name my fish and snails but I think it's funny that they don't LOL I really love my little sea world family and they def should have names! lolol I know I'm a goof!

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOVE the tank! I have a 25 gallon and tried to have goldfish, but they kept dying, so I gave up and we rescued a baby water turtle out of our swimming pool and put it in the tank, and liked him so much we added a red eared slider from Petsmart... The small one is Turtlie 2 and the larger one is Turtlie 3. (MY 4 year old named them. lol ) I need to take pics and we also need to upgrade to a larger tank, because the 25 gallon is not big enough for them. Anyways, I love the name Gary for a snail! LOL Spongebob!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts