Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me with this... shes 3months old,im still teaching her the potty training but ive noticed she will walk over to her bed,or my other dogs bed or even a blanket and wee on it,rather than on a pad,i keep reading that a pup wont mess on their bedding but bella is lol...she sleeps with me most nights and has never done it in my bed, im confused :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh no ! usually they don't mess their own beds,could be she's marking to say that's mine,have no solution i'm afraid somebody else may know

·
Registered
455 Posts
How long have you had her for? Three months old is the time she should just be leaving her mother and littermates. Did you get her from a good breeder? If she was from a pet shop or puppy mill, and was kept confined that would explain the messing of the bed.

Also I just want to add, you have to make sure you clean the pee off the bedding, not with human products, but with special products with enzymes, or bella will still be able to smell it and be more likely to pee there again. There is one called urineoff that I've heard I'd good but is expensive. Bob martin do a cheaper one called called stain and odour remover. They also do another sporay which you spray in the right place to entice them to pee.

Good luck x

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes i agree. i have got a special spray it's called 'extreme odour remover' or something and it brings out the smell aswell. if you use a normal spray, the stain might disappear, but the smell will remain (probably not for you but your puppy will be able to smell it) and that will encourage her to pee on that spot again.

Also she is likely to pee at certain times, more than on others, for example after food, in the morning after she wakes up etc. at these times, take her bed away for a little while, until she pees on a puppy pad, then reward her and put her bed back into its place. I think she needs to learn first to pee on a pad. she might have been kept on vetbed or similar when she was at the breeder and therefore is used to wee on fluffy surfaces. never punish 'bad' behaviour but reward good behaviour. good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes come to think of it i think its what lenchan said about fluffy surfaces,i put them in the washing machine as soon as i see it,so there shouldnt be any smell and if i catch her doing it i put her in the right place to do it,i got her at 10 weeks old had her for 4weeks tomorrow,got her from a breeder.
i will take the bedding up for a while thats a good idea lol just feel sorry for my 3yr old shih tzu but she takes over the sofa most times anyway,im sure she'l cope lol..thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
One thing I'll add, to reinforce that you DON'T want her peeing in her bed, is make sure thats what she's sleeping on. You mentioned that she usually sleeps in bed with you and doesn't pee in your bed; *thats* why people say a chi doesn't usually pee in their bedding; it's more that they won't pee *where they sleep.* At this age she doesn't really "know" what a dog bed is, unless you help her learn. If she's ever crated, make sure that the particular bed or blankets she pees on is what she'll be sleeping on. Or if you don't crate her, put the bed and blankets ON your bed for her to sleep in.
Potty training takes a lot of diligence; but helping her to identify just WHAT is her sleeping area will help prevent her from using them to potty on. =)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks kitty :) that made alot of sense,i think thats what it is,she doesnt sleep on it really.thanks for your advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts