Chihuahua People Forum banner

My Rescue Story

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ~LS~ 
#1 ·
Hi y'all,

I don't operate an actual shelter or anything, but my partner has dedicated the last ten years of her life rescuing cats, dogs and anyone that needs it. Monica has never gone looking for animals, it just seems that people who know her know that she loves them and is great with them and has a nice big house with a nice big yard. Monica has received over 20 dogs and cats in need, and each one gets cleaned up, brought to health, taught basic obedience and has a happy, comfortable place to stay until, using her network of friends and family, she finds the perfect home. The numbers of animals are not huge because of the care and effort she puts into the plight of each animal. We have three forever dogs, one very special one named Bello. Bello is a heeler cross Monica found wandering in an industrial area when he was just a puppy. The area is close to the river, so he and his siblings were likely left there or drowned (unfortunately we live in a remote area with a lot of poverty so spaying and neutering pets is not a priority). He is connected to Monica on a level I can't even describe. He knows what she is thinking and intuitively understands the purpose of so many pets coming in and out of his home. Despite his size, he is incredibly gentle with small animals, especially babies. Most of the rescue pets who have no previous training learn tricks and good behavior by watching Bello, who makes it look so easy ;) He is also a soft, comforting guy to cuddle the pets who are too scared of humans to get cuddles from us the first little while. Since I have been with Monica, I have learned how rewarding it is to provide care, comfort and a better life to an animal who needs it, and eventually, a terrific pet for someone who is trustworthy and kind. It's not always fun or easy and is often expensive and time consuming but rewarding beyond measure. They day I saw the first dog I helped her rehab (a lovely rottie cross who was the victim of a tail and ear cropping gone horribly wrong by a farmer who did it himself) drive away with her brand new family, ready to trust and be loved, I knew this was MY forever family. Each new face is a new adventure and a new chance to connect beautiful pets with beautiful people :)

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a lovely story, you are a great person !

There is nothing more difficult, rewarding, or noble than helping an animal in need. To help an animal who has nowhere to turn is nothing short of heroic.

Thanks for all you do, and thanks for posting your story.
It's certainly made my day !

#6 ·
What a beautiful story. It takes a special person to prepare a dog for rehoming. I could not do it. I fall in love with ever one and could not let them go.LOL My partner and I have two chihuahua's Gandalf is 6.3# and Tinkerbelle is 3.2#. They are my heart. I got a call last night from a dear friend in La that is looking for a young, male Chihuahua to rescue. Both of my little dolls are rescue's. She has one chihuahua and lost her last chihuahua about a year ago, to old age. She so misses having two Chi's. and her other chi is so lonesome, that she has decided it is time. I am going to send her some links, rather than me trying to rescue for her. I would want to keep him. (Pam would kill me,she is a Ridgeback lover_I have been in contact with OK chi rescues and TX chi rescues. She lives in LA and is willing to drive to pick him up. I rather she looks at pictures and find one that takes her heart, like mine did for me. Keep up the great work. Pam, my partner and I will be praying for you and Monica. and hope you have many many great outcomes. Feel free to holler at me any time.

#7 ·
Thank you everyone for the lovely words welcome :)

I thought at first that it would be hard to give someone so much love (because it takes a LOT) and bond with them and then give them to somebody else to love, but anybody who does it one time and finds a great fitting, safe, loving home can tell you there just isn't any sadness in it. I think when you go in knowing that if you can get this dog a second chance somewhere else, then you can also give a second (or third, like Herman) chance to the next one, because there are so many next ones. :(

When I'm done my degree, we would like to have foster children too one day, because where the rescue pets are just as much mine as Monica's, they are fulfilling her purpose and her passion. Fostering kids would be fulfilling mine :)

Thanks again for the welcome :)

#9 ·
I have tears in my eyes from reading your story--so touching that you and Monica are giving so much love and care to these animals. My two chis are rescues and I'm so grateful to everyone connected to Stonecliffe Animal Rescue that made it possible for me to have my babies. I know many people feel the same about what you and Monica are doing. Blessings!

#11 ·
Thank all you for your kind words :)

One of the very very best things in the world is going to a friend's house where a pet has been rehomed and having them run up to you so happy to see you again :) I love that for the most part, we have all our pets new families on facebook and get to see pictures of them too. <3

#12 ·
Your story made me cry, it's so close to home, it felt like my hubby wrote it.
We do something very similar here. We also live in a poor neighborhood, numerous
abandoned cats and dogs. I also used to train and groom, so sometimes my old
customers bring in abandoned, neglected, unwanted, etc. animals to our home.
The word spreads fast, and once people know that I'm here and willing to help
they pass it along. All dogs and cats that come here get vetted, spayed/neutered,
trained, groomed, etc. and eventually sent to new forever homes with huge start
kits and lots of new positive memories. If I wasn't ill I would open up a non profit,
no kill shelter. My mother can not believe how many animals hubby and I rescued,
she says that she went on her whole life without ever rescuing a dog or cat in
need, yet they keep on literally showing up at my door. Hubby says it's like they
know help is here. Rescuing, is incredibly hard and expensive, rehabilitating dogs
can be a challenge, and some stay a while working out their issues before moving
on to a new home. Letting go an animal that was once thin, hurt, afraid, etc.
and is now happy and healthy thanks to your time and effort is very hard,
some more than others, but I cry when every single one leaves,whether it is a kitten
that was here two weeks or a dog that was here 4 months. I applaud you and
your partner for helping animals, it takes its toll on our minds and bodies, and
therefore is very challenging, yet nothing compares to its rewards. Reading your
story literally made my day, because unfortunately in this city not enough people
are interested in rescuing, fostering or even just taking proper care of their own
pet. Pets get abused, neglected and dumped day in day out. Regulations are not a
priority for the Quebec government, dogs and cats are looked upon as furniture, they
have no rights. It is sickening. You & your partner make this world a better place, thank you!

Keep up the good work, and I'd love to see some pics, and hear your success stories! :)

#15 ·
Thank you so much LS, your house sounds a lot like mine :) I have pictures, I just have not figured out how to post them from my flckr, I think maybe I will get a photobucket!

Our parents worry some about the money we spend doing it it, our friends give us a lot of help and ultimately, this is how we have decided to live. The last rescues we had were five kittens that were going to be drowned by the ******* husband of one of Monica's coworkers. I fell in love with one and he was the last to go because he had a weird little jelly pouch on his belly (we named him Jelly). He used to lie on top of the guinea pig cage and the pig just loved him. However, I am really allergic to cats and I have bad asthma and eczema, so when we have cats they have to find homes quickly. Jelly was here for like, nearly a month by himself and I still think about him. He just had a really great personality, and while Charles (the guinea pig) likes the dogs and will touch noses through his cage, they are not his friends, they want to eat him. Jelly was more like a friend, and I feel sad for Charles :/ Monica says it's funny with how many have come and gone that have stayed so long and Jelly is the one I miss the most. We didn't have him long at all!

Having grooming and training skills must be a huge asset! Monica is a great trainer, and she just tells me what to tell them, ha ha. We can't afford a groomer so we do that ourselves too, and the dogs don't care :p

I would love to hear some of your stories too, we should have a "rescue success" thread and put pictures of happily rehomed animals :)

#16 ·
I just don't understand why people still use such barbaric ways. Luckily you
took these kittens in. I was curious how do you deal with your allergies when
you take in the cats? I have allergies to both dogs and cats, yet I still have
three of my own dogs and take in others. The allergies become a real bother
at times, I have to wear long sleeves as much as possible, bathe the animals
more frequently, clean, clean and clean some more, it would obviously help if I
avoided contact, but that is not going to happen, and I can not take meds.
So was curious to see if you have any tips that help you deal with your allergies?

And yes it would be nice to have a thread where we share stories and pictures!
I actually have pictures of most of my rescues hung up in frames in our hallway.
I put my head down when I walk through the hallway though, because if I see
their little faces tears pour down my face, happy tears of course, but it's still
really tough because I miss every single one of them. I'm the type to give it my
all, I hate doing things half way, so I really invest emotionally, physically and
financially into each dog or cat. I do keep in touch with new adoptive parents,
and it's really nice to hear about how much their new fur kids are loved and
cared for. It inspires me to keep taking in rescues even when things get tough.

#17 ·
LS,

I can take allergy pills and they help a little bit, but we keep cats in the guest room/office at night and in the bedroom, where they are not allowed at all I have an air purifier for while I'm sleeping. It isn't terribly hard to find homes for cats, we know a lot of cat lovers with cat lover friends :p The area where I live is pretty far north and there is a lot of people living rurally and with outbuildings, arenas and barns that need cats to keep the mice out :) There is also unfortunately a lot of backwards brutality that goes with rural life as well. We also have a lot of of people in remote areas living in poverty and that equals a lot of un-spayed and un-neutered pets. The North is a great place for people who love animals though, we have moose and bear and deer and foxes and chipmunks and all kinds of birds. I'm from Vancouver and while I sometimes miss the city, I really love living in "the wild". We live in a house in the city with a big yard that we own, not rent, so we are able to keep as many pets comfortably as we do. Our dream is to save up for a nice place in the rural area and have a little farm where we can adopt old dogs from the spca and they can retire with us. Also I'd like to be able to take a cow if one needed a home, or a goat or whatever. For now, it's cats and dogs in the city :)

#18 ·
BC is a beautiful place to live! Hubby and I plan on moving there in a few years.
We both dislike the busy, dirty, loud city life, and dream of quieter times.
Just like you I wish to own a little farm, but my problem is I'm sick and need
to be close to a hospital. So I can't be too far out in the woods,lol. Do you find
it expensive in BC? Last time I visited, was about 6 years ago, the prices seemed high,
that was in and around Victoria though. But it's so freaking gorgeous! I was absolutely
hypnotized by the scenery and the wild life. I know there are also the not so great areas
with drug issues and whatnot, unfortunately. From what I heard Nanaimo isn't so great.

ps: Thanks for the air purifier idea! Sounds so simple, but I never thought of it. :)

Oh and I meant to say, I find it crazy that you have no trouble placing cats.
Here there is a huge cat overpopulation, even most shelters are over the limit
and are refusing to take in more. I take in kittens and pregnant queens in
order to get them vetted, sheltered, and adopted out. But because my space
is so limited, when it comes to males I help out with trap, neuter, release. The
problem just seems to never end. My area is especially horrible, it is a poor
neighborhood with many immigrants and students, so people often move back
to their country or the students leave once done school, etc, and the cats
often end up thrown out on the streets or left in the buildings to be thrown
out by the janitors. Every 1st of the month, come moving time, new cats
appear. Hubby built shelter for them outside, but not many make it through
our Canadian cruel winters. It's very sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.