Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I am honestly going to say I was never a "small dog person".

I really didn't know much about little dogs, only that they were always yapping at something. :p
Although I didn't have any actual experience with them. I had my first-ever dog, my brindle pitbull Coco, and that was good enough for me.

In 2006 (I was 16) I started dating this boy and he owned a Chihuahua.
A little red longcoat named Reba. I can tell you right now...it was Reba who was THE Chihuahua to capture my heart and made me fall in love with her breed.
She was about 10 months old when I met her and she quickly became my best friend. It was also Reba that made Coco adore every Chi she meets!

I was able to spend about 2 unforgettable years with my (now) ex-boyfriend and Reba. I look back at those memories with both joy and sadness.

It was the middle of winter, in January 2008. My boyfriend walked me home late at night and Reba walked with us for a short while before he scooped her up and tucked her into one of the inner pockets of his jackets to keep her warm. When we got to my house, we said goodbye and I will never forget what he did next.

He held Reba out to me.

He offered to let me keep Reba for the night, as he knew how much Coco and I loved to sleep with her.
I really wanted to, but his mom was out of town so he would have been all alone in his house. So I declined and I watched him walk away with her back in his jacket.

That would be the last time I ever saw her alive. :sad2:

I got a call around 10am the next day.
It was my mom. She said she was driving near my boyfriend's area when she saw it. The black smoke pouring into the sky.
She drove closer and saw with horror that it was my boyfriend's house. Firetrucks, police, and bystanders were clustered it.
My boyfriend was wrapped in a blanket, two firefighters were forcibly holding him back as he screamed about Reba being in the house.

They did find her about 20 minutes later. She was under his mom's bed...the fumes killed her. When I saw her body, it looked like she was simply asleep.
I am so relieved to this day that she wasn't burned. :?

The pain I felt after her death was indescribable. It took a very long time to heal and I still feel the void she left, I know that will never go away.
It brings tears to my eyes to think that I could have changed her fate, by simply accepting her when he held her out to me.
I try not to think that it was my fault she died but it's so hard in that kind of situation.

Anyways, that's my story, I tried not to make it too long.
The boyfriend is now an ex-boyfriend and Reba has been gone for 3 years now.

It was only a month ago that I got my own Chihuahua.
A little red longcoat named Fox. :love7:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry about Reba. How sad. :( Fate can definitely throw you for a loop sometimes & in a terrible way. I know all too well! Everything happens for a reason I believe though & now you have your Fox who will leave his paw prints on your heart as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh gosh that is so terribly sad. When tragic things like this happen we will always question ourselves with "what if, if only I had.." But the truth is we do not and will never know what the future holds for us or our babies.. As sad it sounds it sound reba was a very much loved and adored dog and she sadly died knowing that..

Fire is my worst fear.. I have a fair few pets and have a the fire plan escap worked out just incase. I have acrriers upstairs and down stairs for the chi's, ferrets and cats, plus the lizards.. Tara my staffie follows me in suit anyway so would just let her out the door. If we were to be trapped upstairs I have bungy ropes to lower carriers down which I could hook onto Tara harness. The kids would be put in duvet covers to lower down.. Havent thought how I would ten get out tbh but aslong as all the others are out I am not bothered.. Gosh, reading back at that you can see how my fear of fire shows..

I am new to this forum and dont know much about the members, but reading this and the comments that you now have Fox, I was wondering if you could further the story for me if you wouldnt mind on how you then progressed and got Fox now?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Aw, how sad! I hope your furbaby will be with you for a long time and bring you lots of joy. I live in a mobile home and fire is my worst fear. There is a front door near one end and another door about in the middle, but the furnace is between my bedroom and a door and maybe that's the probable place for a fire to start. There is a "pop out" window that I would go out and I keep a short sledgehammer beside that window. In a fire, I would never have presence of mind enough to get it open! I would put each dog in a pillow case if I had the chance, toss the blankets out the window and drop the dogs out and then go out after them. They sleep with me, so would be close. I would just drop them out the window if necessary. A fire would be so terrifying, it's a good idea to have a plan in mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aw, how sad! I hope your furbaby will be with you for a long time and bring you lots of joy. I live in a mobile home and fire is my worst fear. There is a front door near one end and another door about in the middle, but the furnace is between my bedroom and a door and maybe that's the probable place for a fire to start. There is a "pop out" window that I would go out and I keep a short sledgehammer beside that window. In a fire, I would never have presence of mind enough to get it open! I would put each dog in a pillow case if I had the chance, toss the blankets out the window and drop the dogs out and then go out after them. They sleep with me, so would be close. I would just drop them out the window if necessary. A fire would be so terrifying, it's a good idea to have a plan in mind.

Off topic sorry, but wow your Lavender looks a double of my Heidi ;)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Reba...

Glad you were able to move on and get a little chi of your own...love the name " fox " looking forward to seeing lots of pics :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts