Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Neither. I like a grinder. You can get a short nail with a minimum of fuss and no pain or nicking the quick with a grinder. No sharp edges either. I'd never go back to clippers after using a grinder. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I find the guillotine ones easier to use because my chihuahuas wiggle a lot and it just feels sturdier in my hands

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have all 3 types and find the scissor type to work the best with my girls. I think it comes down to the quality between the scissor type and the guillotine. I have had crappy ones of both and good ones of both. I like the grinder but it takes a bit longer to get it done and with a freaked out chi it can be VERY difficult to get done. The grinder is really nice for a dog that will let you use it for the same reasons that Brodysmom mentioned.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I use a grinder too. Love it. No more quicked nails!!! With one of my chi's, I even pay the groomer to use a grinder. (she just will not stay still with me, and starts to get aggressive after a while, nibbling and snarly face) Sue

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I use the scissor type, then finish off with a nail file, but a grinder is the best (mines currently broken) - They take a little getting used to for both owner and dog, but so much easier and better than normal nail clippers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Human nail clippers work best for me, I just hold them sideways and clip. They work so well that both dogs will just lay quiet while I do them almost like they can't feel it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dog was terrified of the grinder, so we went with guillotine type clippers, they work great. I got mine at Target and they weren't expensive.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I actually use 'cat nail trimmers' but they just look like the scizzor type, just much smaller. Works well on the tiny pups and I can get pretty precise with them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use both. I like the scissor type for my tiny guys (under 5lbs) and all my dogs dew claws and I like the guillotine ones for thick nails (which male has)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts