Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a heck of a time trying to clip my chi's nails.........any ideas?

she is 6 months old....when she was a few weeks old it was fine but now she just bites and squirms. :boxing:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
UUUGGGHHHH ya know why cant they just bite their nails and make it easy........Bindi was great the first two times, tonight I wanted to choke her :evil:
Her nails grow like weeds too! Kemo is and always will be a mess. I can touch either one of their paws, squeeze them etc and they dont mind but here comes the clippers and watch out :shock:

I can suggest doing while they are sleepy or after hard play so they are tuckered out or dangle a treat above their noses for distraction.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I don't know what to tell you Tana. Annabelle is no problem at all but the other 2 give me fits. :evil: If you find out what the trick is, let me know. :wink:

Kemo's mama, my last chi Mitzie (died at 15 yrs) use to bite her own nails. :shock: I never had to clip them. :D

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
SC said:
Kemo's mama, my last chi Mitzie (died at 15 yrs) use to bite her own nails. :shock: I never had to clip them. :D
HAHHAHAH well aint that somethin' I did not think they would do that--hey there has to be a way to train them huh? LOL :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh believe me....I've tried it all..... as soon as I grab her paw she is wide awake and ready to rumble!!! how do groomers do it?? makes me wonder.... :?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
HAHHAHAH well aint that somethin' I did not think they would do that--hey there has to be a way to train them huh? LOL :lol:
It was nice that I didn't have to clip them but........... she use to bite her nails in the bed (she slept with us) just as we were trying to go to sleep. :roll: :D

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
[quote="........... she use to bite her nails in the bed (she slept with us) just as we were trying to go to sleep. :roll: :D[/quote]......................... Sully does that in our bedrom too, all i can hear is click click click, drives me nuts but i say go to sleep Sully and she does.But try to cut her dew claws and Fynns nails all hell breaks loose, Rosie our rescue lets me cut hers with no problems.Last week i did Sullys dew claws, i had just baked a ham and let her lick a little juice on another plate which kept her still for a few mins, and with Fynn i have a top drawer with little boxes in, she was put on the boxes to stand but as they are different sizes she had to keep her balance so i cut a few nails while she was otherwise engaged!Hard work :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I watched my vet cut Gizmo's. He holds him away from his body, so that he's suspended in mid air. He'd start to cut his nails, and when Gizmo would start to object or struggle, the vet would drop him down a little, like pretending that he was going to drop him. I don't know if it was that this took Gizmo's attention away from what was happening to his nails, or if he quickly got the message that a struggle meant a "drop", but after repeating this a few times, the vet was able to cut them without a problem. We do it the same way, but my dogs don't fight it at all anymore.

This might sound mean, but dogs, especially our little ones, can really hurt themselves struggling against us when we try to cut their nails, and they need to be done.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Clipping nails

hi all,

When I clipped Gadget's nails last week... I had my daughter hold him and I could keep the paws in my hand and clip them with no problems. I started to try it with holding him myself but he was NOT wanting anything to do with it..... as soon as she held him he settled right down.... the job was alot easier on all of us....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Call me lazy.. I think its worth 5.00 to let Butch's groomer clip Sunnys nails. Im always scared Ill cut the quick.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I also watched our vet do it and he also holds Poppy away from his body and with the leg outstretched so that she cant really see whats going on over his arm,,,she never fusses and now thats how I do it at home..so far its been ok :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
sigh Auggie can be a struggle too. He was actually better about it when he was younger. Plus those darn dark nails are harder to see the quick He has a mix. Also hate those darn dewclaws :roll:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got Niko's nails trimmed at the vet when he got his puppy shots. I tried the night before and it literally took me like 5 minutes to get one nail, so I just let the rest. Then he went to the vet and she asked if I wanted to trim them and I told her it's near impossible, but whaddya know! He sat perfectly still for her and was done in 30 seconds! Maybe because he was scared?

·
Registered
365 Posts
i had the same problem with elmo. He is a black/tan and has black nails so it is impossible to see where the "quick" begins. I asked the vet and he recommended filing the nails. At first i thought he was crazy, but when eventually Elmo was desperate for his nails to be shortened i bought him a normal hand nail file. And low and hehold he absolutely loves it. He lies on his back and enjoys every second of it!!! It takes a good half hour to file his nails at least but is worth it, as the vet said clipping his nails may cause bleeding if it cuts into the quick which would be very painful!!

If you've got the patience which im sure you have, as we all love our chis, i reccommend filing them!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts