Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had to trim any of my dog's nails before, not ever.

Reading the forum I must admit to having become very nervous about trimming my babies nails, especially with failing eyesight and worrying about experiencing the Chi Scream of Death that I've yet to hear in real life.

For weeks I've been putting it off despite my hairdresser friend telling me "it's a snip" and he had no probs at all doing his 2 x Bostons. Instead I had determined to ring around & get quotes from groomers and vets.

Sat down today, got my glasses & the tool and away I went. None one of them flinched, they all just let me trim their nails with no fuss, just sat on my lap, paw up, nail by nail, paw by paw, it was a breeze, an UNEXPECTED breeze.

Now, do I also need to do the back legs or is it just the fronts that get done?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Lol I'm confused, you've had them how long and never done their nails!? I don't mean that to be condescending LOL I am just amazed it didn't need doing?

Yes the backs need to be done as well...and any dew claws they might have. You should hear no clicking on solid surfaces when they walk if the nails are short enough :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The vet did them once at their 2nd set of shots. Then they were done again when they were spayed a few 3-4? weeks ago when they were under or coming out of anaesthetic. So, they'd been done twice, but not by me.

All the other big dogs I've had all my life have never needed doing - I guess because they're on so much concrete, bitumen etc. that they get worn down. Which is just as well, I can't see myself trying to trim those tree stumps of things, I wouldn't have the wrists strong enough!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Glad it went well Dee. What a relief! When your dogs tolerate baths and nail trims life is a lot simpler! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.