Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of months two of Bella's nails (the inside and outside nails) on her back foot have been growing a lot more curved than normal. So much that I am no longer able to clip the nails without cutting her pads. I have been using my nail file to try and trim them down, but it's a bit of a pain and she doesn't like it at all. She will normally lie in my lap while I trim her nails with no problems, but with these two nails she fights me because I have to try to move her pad out of the way. She also doesn't cooperate with the filling. I use a guillotine style clipper on her and recently bought a forge style to try, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions? One of the nails is getting long enough now to the point where I know it can't be comfortable for her. :(

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Ive used all the styles of trimmers and definitely the guillotine style are the best. If the nail starts to curve too much then I would use the small cat clippers. Hilton absolutely hates having her nails cut and rightly so, she pulled one time when I was cutting, I panicked and cut her "quick" and she bled a lot. If its to the point where you don't think you can do it, take her in for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cat clippers!! Why did I not think of this before?! Thank you all. I will get some today and try it out. Hopefully her nails don't crack (fingers crossed). I can't take her to a groomer and I don't currently have a vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's an idea...noticed my chi dislikes the vet office so much that she would actually let me trim her nails in the vet parking lot or the waiting room without biting.....luckily her vet is just around the corner so it is convenient....could be this might work in any crowded place that your chi finds distracting..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update: I bought a cat clipper and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the advice! I can now go back to easily clipping Bella's daggers without a fuss. Lol. I'm glad too, because trying to find her a vet and taking her in would have just been a huge hassle for me and I more than likely would have been at the end of my rope by the time I left that place. So YAY!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh the idea with him being near the vet or trimming them while he is waiting at the vet might be a good idea.
My Klein does NOT let me or my husband come anywhere near him with the guillotine clipper.
And worse even the vet or the groomer doing it….. it is so frustrating as they are really getting long now. (managed to only clip 2 nails on one side)

·
Registered
247 Posts
An update: I bought a cat clipper and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the advice! I can now go back to easily clipping Bella's daggers without a fuss. Lol. I'm glad too, because trying to find her a vet and taking her in would have just been a huge hassle for me and I more than likely would have been at the end of my rope by the time I left that place. So YAY!!
I'm glad it worked for you. I really like those. The only reason I even thought to use them on my chi was I already had them for my cats.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the pedicure thingie.. I think that is what it is called the one that files their nails down slowly..... very very very slowly... It works but it takes FOREVER! I am so scared of cutting my chis nails because I feel like I will cut the quick.. I never have but I feel like my nervousness makes him nervous as well... I NEVER knew there were such thing as cat clippers!! LoL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts