Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often everyone trims their Chi's nails?? As soon as Adam and Hannah could walk a decent length their nails seemed to wear down naturally. Even Heidi who is only 4Ibs seems to be wearing hers down now she can walk abit farther.
I know alot of people have to trim their Chi's and Im wondering why? Is it coz they are walking on a different surface or do some just grow nails quicker then others?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I only have to trim Jacks nails once every month, sometimes almost two before they seem long enough to cut. They seem to grow so slow. But Venus are horrible. They're much thicker than Jacks, and I have to trim them down almost every week they grow so fast.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
During the winter it seems I have to trim my pups nails once every 1-2 weeks. We have harsh winters so walking them regularly isn't an option. (we do on unusually warm days which has happened maybe 4-5 days since end of November) During the warmer months when they're able to be walked on a regular basis - we'll trim more like every 4-6 weeks. Walking does make a big difference for sure....

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My sibe wears his down naturally and I rarely have to file his nails. The only thing I need to do with his are file the dew claws once every 2-3 months.

My chi on the other hand needs frequent filing. She walks the same amount as my husky on concrete yet hers never file naturally so I end up having to file her nails about once a month.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm kind of OCD about long nails. I hate that look of the pointy claws coming off their feet. Ugh. It bugs me. I LOVE nice short stubby nails. So Brody's nail are ground with a dremel every Sunday. :) They are always nice and short and don't scratch if he jumps up on you.

It takes less than a minute to do all of them. About 2 seconds per nail and we are done. Quick and easy and his nails always look great. And since it's a dremel tool, there's never any rough edges, uneven nails, or bleeding.

I'd never go back to regular clippers.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lot always get half an hour of road walking in the afternoon and usually half-hour walk in the morning so that probably keeps the nails short.
Id rather do that then attempt Heidi's nails TBH. They are all black!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Tootsies has thick black nails. Minnies are mostly clear but a few black ones. Tootsies grow faster. i need to get them done 2 times a month. She's so much happier when someone else does them so i pay to get them done :)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I'm kind of OCD about long nails. I hate that look of the pointy claws coming off their feet. Ugh. It bugs me. I LOVE nice short stubby nails. So Brody's nail are ground with a dremel every Sunday. :) They are always nice and short and don't scratch if he jumps up on you.

It takes less than a minute to do all of them. About 2 seconds per nail and we are done. Quick and easy and his nails always look great. And since it's a dremel tool, there's never any rough edges, uneven nails, or bleeding.

I'd never go back to regular clippers.
hehe that's probably part of why I have to do venus' so often, I can't cant' can't stand long nails lol Even my own get cut every few days.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I don't like long nails either. You can actually train the quick to become shorter if you trim every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
They have dremels at hobby stores like hobby lobby. I got a cheapy at Harbor Freight. Or you could check Amazon or Ebay. Don't waste your time on the dog dremel. Just get a regular grinder, they charge more for the dog one.

Here's the one I have. Have had it a year now and it's still working great. They must have lowered the price - it's only $5 plus shipping! Can't beat that! They also have a "professional" version of this for $30, but I have the one in the link. You can change out the heads on them and you use the little sandpaper tubes that come with it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94076

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
My family breeds Bulldogs for xmas they bought me loads of grooming equipment for Fifi basically lol And i didnt have any nail cutters, as sad as this may sound i went into Pundland the other week and found a guiltene style in there! Ive used them on my JRT puppies i thought use them and throw them away you knwo just to do theirs with. Theyre really good and ive managed to do all my dogs with them and they work perfectly! It just goes to show that they dont have to be too fancy and expensive to work :) If anyone wants to prove me wrong feel free but for my little breeds theyre fine! Really springy and easy to use! SO if your on a budget get some from their and i recommend it lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
They have dremels at hobby stores like hobby lobby. I got a cheapy at Harbor Freight. Or you could check Amazon or Ebay. Don't waste your time on the dog dremel. Just get a regular grinder, they charge more for the dog one.

Here's the one I have. Have had it a year now and it's still working great. They must have lowered the price - it's only $5 plus shipping! Can't beat that! They also have a "professional" version of this for $30, but I have the one in the link. You can change out the heads on them and you use the little sandpaper tubes that come with it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94076
Wow, that's a great deal; I just ordered one! Thanks for the link... :)

I have been using the Oster version of Pedi-Paws (which was $20) and it works okay, but it's somewhat of a hassel because the batteries go relatively quickly. I like the idea of having a cord and less battery waste. Hopefully the sandpaper tube refills they got in their holiday stockings will be compatible with this unit, lol.

I do my guys' nails every two-three weeks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts