Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to trim 3 month old Chloe's nails yesterday...what a disaster! she was great when I did them about 3 weeks ago and now ..wow! she screamed like i was killing her and struggled so hard I only got 3 nails done total. Will try again with daughter holding her..but sheesh! I have been handling her feet and nails since I got her no big deal..spent time just touching her nails with the clippers..just like I have done with all the jack russell pups I have had before..never had a reaction like this:eek:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Oh dear! Such a drama queen! I have one like this too. Can you use a dremel or some such electric trimmer? Just keep at it, and feed lots of treats; if she will eat them. I lie mine on their backs in my lap between the knees sort of. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I use a dremel type tool too. They both scream with the clippers, but aren't bad at all with the grinder. Don't get me wrong, they don't LIKE it, but they tolerate it.

I can't do all 4 of Jazz's paws at once. With Tango I do two at a time. It doesn't help that he has dew claws which also have nails and that's a pain because they curve really sharply as do a couple of his regular nails. So I grind them, and then have to use an emery board to file down the curvy part that's very close to the paw pad.

Annoying, and a bit time consuming, but not horrible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts