Chihuahua People Forum banner

Nails! Help!

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gembabes24@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. I have a two year old Chi - and I have a big problem for such a little dog. She will not let me trim her nails! I know now I should have started when she will a baby, but I didn't know it would be an issue. Her nails are so long! I try to trim them and she has a fit! I've tried every tick you can think of. She just wiggles her way out of my arms and I am afraid of hurting her if I keep it up - so I stop. It's at the point where I have to take her to the vet and it takes three grown people and a mouth harness to do this. Not to mention 15 dollars (which I don't mind paying) but there has to be a solution. If she sees any type of small silver shiny object that makes a clicking noise (like when I am doing my own nails) - she runs under my bed and doesn't come out for hours and she is very suspicious of everyone for days! Any ideas from all the experts? Thanks.

#2 ·
Now this may sound silly, but it is worth a try. I was a leader for a 4-H dog group for quite a few years and a dog trainer once told the group this. Take a nylon stocking and slip it over the dogs head, it does not keep them from breathing, but it confuses them. They do not have a good view and while they are trying to concentrate on the stocking over their head, clip the toe nails. I have never had to try this, but it just might work. I have had people tell me than it works. But they might get the idea that they don't like stockings-then a whole new problem arises. After all chis are very intelligent. Or you might try just filing the nails. Either get a rotor file especially made for dogs,(sort of expensive) or you can get a metal sharpening file (it is called a bastard :lol: cut file) and then file while you are sitting holding the dog-watching tv or something....just some ideas. They might help :wave:

#4 ·
Most of my chi's are really good about getting their nails cut... all except Zoey. Now, when i do her nails, i have to have someone there to #1 blow in her face (she goes tense and pokes her legs out) and #2 to give her a tiny piece of lunch meet (preferably ham ;) ) after every single nail. Also, when i cut her nails, I sit on the end of the couch so that her body is "stuck" between me and the armrest, and her head and shoulders are poking out in the crook of my arm. Its a battle, but its the only thing i've found that works.

#5 ·
nail trims

A method we use a lot at the hospital is the "chihuahua" buritto. You simple roll the chihuahua up in a towel so only the head is sticking out. Hold the towel close to you, then pull one limb out at a time and clip the nails. Works very well when you are the only one doing it. Muzzling them sometimes with a length of gause also works well with some chis because it puts them in "submissive" mode. Good luck -Nate

#6 ·
I have 7 dogs now....(still).. :oops:

But all have been trained/conditioned to be trimmed with a dremel- the puppies are started at 8-10 weeks, as a chiwawa taco (in a towel) They intially hate the noise (cordless) But it is easy, smooth, no cutting of the quick either! Shapes nice and natural as you go from the underneathe side, bottom up at about 45 degree angle. The older dogs lay down now, and they are were taught late! It is painless and like going to your own personal nail salon! If you actr like you are torturing them and being all sappy and sorry, they will take adbantage of that for sure!!! But it just takes a few minutes every day to get them used to being restrained and then the noise of the dremel. soon they just lay there on my lap as I do each toe. :p

Terri

#8 ·
Manicure

ok so this is going to sound really weird but i file Elmo's nails!! From being very young his nails have grown quickly and becasue he is a tri colour he has black nails so it is impossible to see the quick. I asked my vet and he said to try filing them as clipping them would probably casue pain and blood etc. At first i laughed but decided that something needed to be done, so i went to a nal salon and bought a really hard strong file, and Elmo loves it!!! He lies on his back and effectively has a manicure!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.