Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Josie to the vet yesterday for her third set of boosters and big brother went, too. My fiance told me to make sure that they trimmed Ryan's nails and I looked at Josie's and they had grown so long that I figured I'd have the vet trim hers as well. So I get Josie back home and she walks all over me, playing, just as she always does--except this time it's a little more painful. Her nails are razor sharp now and I don't know what to do. She's playing like she always has except she's shredding things now, not to mention making me look like I got into a fight with Edward Scissorhands. Her little nails have turned into little knives! What can I do to fix them?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I file Coopers nails after I cut them. But I'm a dweeb. LOL

If you can take her outside where she can walk on concrete, that will help to naturally file them where they're not so sharp.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Yep just file them a little usually it will get better after they run around on the concrete but in the meantime they hurt like heck,I just suffer I figure the cutting is bad enough they really hate getting their nails clipped.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
yikes, they didn't square them off when they cut them.....

some dogs don't get them filed anturally by the concrete because the nail doesn't touch the ground (like chiwi's i cut hers way back and her quicks are short cause it's done so often..) so you may have to take an emery board to them and next time you get them done you can ask them to dremel the nail so they aren't as sharp or square them off...

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Dad always cuts Auggies nails but they are always sharper after they are cut. I ususally barely hit them with an emory board and walking on concrete does the rest but it takes about 2 days before they aren't so killer sharp :roll:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Cooper said:
I file Coopers nails after I cut them. But I'm a dweeb. LOL

If you can take her outside where she can walk on concrete, that will help to naturally file them where they're not so sharp.
That doesn't make you a dweeb, Chico's vet files his nails after they're cut too :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
<whew> I'm glad to know that.

I also cut and file OmaKitty's nails. Does THAT make me a dweeb? Wait... before you answer ... I also paint them. I've never seen a kitty with painted nails before. I'm a dweeb, aren't I?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'd never be caught dead with an emory board in my hands. I use the manly-Dremel on Sadie and Ritz. Ritz loves it and Sadie hates it, but either way their nails are smooth. You could also get a small electric manicure file that is low speed and has a emory foam board-like tip.

2 days till Michigan -Nate

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
nope i don't see any dweebs here at all.....
Whew... that's good to know. I need to get a photo of OmaKitty showing off her nails the next time we do them. The people at the vet's office just love it when I take her in all manicured and whatnot!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
ilovesadie said:
2 days till Michigan -Nate
Nate, I was just wondering a few days ago when you would be leaving. You must be so excited. Are you still planning to take Ritz with you?

I know you will be extremely busy for a while, but I hope you will be able to drop into the forum occasionally and keep us posted on how/what you are doing, and of course we need to keep in touch with our handsome Ritz.

Jazzy and I both wish you the best of luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts