Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rescued Honey (the tan one in my signature) and I am dumbfounded every time someone sees her the first thing they say oh she is a Taco Bell dog! Then baby talks her with yo quiero taco bell, some continue saying it to the point she wont have nothing to do with them (making it harder to socialize her in the process). I try to tell them her name is Honey and to stop but to no avail. Does anyone else get this and how do you handle the situation?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I do sometimes, but mostly with my son. I just tell him if he wants to continue to pet and talk to her, then he will respect me. As a stranger it maybe more difficult. I know you don't want to appear rude but you may just have to take her and walk away. They are being rude by not respecting your wishes with YOUR baby.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, to teach her social skills I take her to the park and to small local events. I believe dogs shouldn't be scared of normal stuff, like people, different places or even common household objects.

You wouldn't believe how many people think its ok to harass or touch a chi just because they are smaller, I have had them pick her up without warning and cuddle her.

The first person that did I looked at them and said how would you like it if someone came out of nowhere and swooped you up? At least warn the girl or let me hand her to you.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
If someone did that to my dogs, I would promptly walk away after giving them a piece of my mind. I really do not appreciate people making fun of my dogs or picking on them!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am senstive and also thicked skined about name calling, since I went through it due to my name. I havent gone through this with Daisy other than being asked if shes a toy collie (roll eyes) once they figure out shes not a rat or geinue pig. But if after they don't stop I would ask them what their name was and than ask them how would they like being called this or that? Than walk away. Maybe then they will have some insight to what Honey is going through. And make them think before doing stuff like that again.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I would just ignore them and move along. Once someone asked me if Odie had a wheel at home, and I just ignored them and kept walking. They thought I couldn't hear them, and said it again but louder, and I just turned and looked at them to acknowledge what they said, and kept moving. I have a great sense of humour, and don't take anything in life too seriously, but I sometimes get offended over things that I shouldn't when it comes to my dog. I'm sure he didn't mean it maliciously, he was just joking around, but that doesn't mean I need to stop and chit chat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm surprised, because nobody recognizes Haru as a chihuahua :S Also I had this one time where kids would suddenly crouch down and try to pet her and startle her, but they are only kids so I wasn't too keen on lecturing a child who is still growing and learning. The most annoying was when a kid walked up and snatched the leash RIGHT off my hand. I was pretty dumbfounded....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
We recently had a small family get together and my niece (14) told me I should get rid of my dogs because they are disgusting! Well all I could do is stare at her and shake my head and turn and walk away. But boy was I pissed! But I know she is a teenage girl. And try not to take her seriously. But I was still pissed off.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
We recently had a small family get together and my niece (14) told me I should get rid of my dogs because they are disgusting! Well all I could do is stare at her and shake my head and turn and walk away. But boy was I pissed! But I know she is a teenage girl. And try not to take her seriously. But I was still pissed off.
Teenager or not, I would have told my sister or brother! That was just hateful!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree, but my sister would have said the same thing! Like mother like daughter. They will nenever understand the love of a chi, to bad for them.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
They don't have to think they are beautiful just be respectful. If they can't say anything nice they shouldn't say anything at all!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You know I may make some people mad, but I'd pop my kid right on the butt for saying something like that! Its hateful. You don't have to like someone's animal, but you don't have to be mean. I would have been beat! I mean belt to my rear and back, and would've had to stay in bed all day.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That's how we were raised too, to be respectful, or else. I raised my boys to be that way too I never really had to spank them though, they are very good respectful adults now. I think they just didn't want to disapoint mom. :)
My sister on the other hand has spoiled her little princess rotten, no respect, no disapline.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My son is very respectful, but sometimes I have to discipline my girls. Mostly my older daughter, but she loves any animal. She thinks they are all cute.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Thankfully, I haven't experienced anything like that so far. Coco does attract a lot of attention when we go for walks, but people will usually ask me what her name is and ask for permission to pet or pick her up. If someone acted the way you described, I'd walk away.

Something that annoys me is when people call her a toy dog. I hear parents tell their kids "oh look at that little toy dog over there!". It's a dog like any other. It's not a toy. Does that mean short people are toy humans? :rolleyes:

What I find interesting though is that people often say such nasty things about chihuahuas... calling them rats, fake dogs, ugly, freak dogs, yappy, etc... but when they see my dog in person, their reaction is very different. Virtually everyone I see on walks falls in love with her. A lot of them don't even realise she's a chihuahua until I tell them. In my experience, it shows that most people have never really seen a chihuahua... they just repeat these insults blindly because everyone does... but why? Why all this hatred towards small dogs?

my niece (14) told me I should get rid of my dogs because they are disgusting!
I would be so annoyed if someone told me that, especially a family member. How rude!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I wouldn't give any of that a second thought...really, someone called the dog taco belle...smile and carry on with your day...if you give anymore energy to this it will upset you. You have no control over what other people do. You do have a choice about how you react--or don't react to this foolishness.....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What Rubia said!!!!! I mean, really, is it that much of a big deal?

Surely you would be somewhat flattered if someone told you that you were the living image of a particular TV/movie star rather that being insulted?

This comes up so often in this forum I'm really starting to wonder about the mentality of people living in one country compared to another, I find it really quite bizarre. That's not an insult, or even a bad thing, it's merely an observation - the same as the observations I make between shopping on a USA fashion website like Modnique.com compared to an Aussie one, they're vastly different fashions (thank goodness :p)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I don't think she had a problem with the taco bell dog comment it was the consistent teasing of the dog. Or what she felt was teasing. I had that convo with my son. Never ever stare down dog. It doesn't matter if the dog is friendly or not, they will bite. My sister had a dog that I was baby talking to, but staring down, and it came after me. That is a big thing I'm strong about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts