Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any bad side effects of renaming a chi?? Cocoa's original name was "Kody" ... I should have kept that name as I like it much better than Cocoa..... Cocoa just doesn't work for me and although his papers state Cocoa I want to start calling him Kody again .... he understands that name I think better than Cocoa(he was called Kody for the 8 months of his life)

suggestions?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Eden was called Wilma when we got her at 8 months and I worried the same. I asked here and was told there would be no issue. She knew her new name within days.

We have had her 6 months TODAY. Thinking of that date coming up, a few days ago I tried calling her Wilma and she did not look nor respond. I called Eden and she popped her head up and ran to me.

So for us it was not an issue.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Aw Karen that's such a cute story.

Jan, Kody and Cocoa are really similar names. I bet he'll respond right away to Kody. Just start calling him that. They are pretty adaptable. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mine have so many nicknames - I believe I could call them anything and they would know who I was talking to!

I really, really wanted to change Pedro's name when we got him. (I don't like that name...) But, the little guy had been through so much that I thought a name change would be too much. In retrospect, I wish I had changed it to represent his new start in life.

I think he'll revert to the old name just fine, Jan. He probably thinks Cocoa was just a 'nickname', anyway!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
When I got Tabitha, (7 1/2 months old) her call name was Sweetest Taboo and they
called her Tabby. She just seemed far too regal for a nickname, so I chose
Tabitha. She learned to answer to both names very fast. No big deal. Kody and Cocoa
are also very similar in the sound. I say go for it!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I got Bella at the age of 13 months...I thought her name didn't suit her and immediatly changed it to Isabella Rosseleni....( turned out to be a very fitting name as she is such a diva :D ) which of course has been shortened to Bella..I use her full name when she is ignoring me and then she knows she is in trouble ( well thats what I tell myself :) ) she has many nick names and response to all of them :D I don't think you will have any problems changing Cocoas name....
PS...I wish I hadn't changed her name in some ways as Bella has become such a common name...she would have been Libby....( Reg'd name is Liberty Bell )

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My rescue cat was Fuzz before he came to me. He used to come to Fuzz now he only comes to his new name, Kuzo.9

Rescue dogs/cats get new names every day, they don't care what you call them, they just care that you ARE calling them :) I'm sure Kody will love his new name

·
Registered
919 Posts
Holly was "Lucy" before I got her and she had no problem learning her new name. Of course she was only 3 and a half months old at the time, but still. She learned it so fast it was as though she never had any other.:laughing8:

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the hardest part is going to be changing his name on your siggys. hehe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I think you may be right!!!

I am glad to know it has been done many times before and noone has had problems... I announced the change to my family today so I guess it is officially 'KODY' now.....

now to change the siggys.......lol

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
When we first got Jaxx we went through several different names and he answered to all of them. My boyfriend wanted to call him Bubba Mater (like Tomater in the Cars movie but he wanted it with Bubba.) So he called Jaxx bubbamater and I refused to use that name but finally we agreed with Jaxx.

Jaxx also answers to Poocky. I am not sure where the name poocky came from but one day I just started calling him it when I was playing with him and it kind of stuck for a nickname. He answers to both Jaxx and Poocky though.

For my previous dogs that I had rescued I always changed their names when I brought them home. I never knew what their life was like before so I felt a new name was needed for a new life.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ack! I am having this same issue Jan!

My problem is, all of the other humans in my house do
not like "Jax", and they all have a couple of other names
they keep saying he should be named. We kind of named
him in a hurry because we had to take him into the vet the
next morning so I wouldn't really oppose a name change, but
I had the same concerns. :confused:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
It is important to remember that dogs don't have any emotional attachment to their name like we do. To them it is just a command that means "they are talking about me" or "I should look at whoever said that" or "pay attention" depending on how you taught it. So changing names (especially to a sound alike name) is really pretty easy for them. Around the house I call my dogs all sorts of nick names and they learn them all. In fact I try only to use their "real" names when I actually mean for them to look at me.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Pico was 2 when we rescued him. The rescue group had him for 7 months. They claimed that they called him Skippy but he didnt seem to know that name at all (he lived with 11 other dogs)
He responded to Pico within days! They are much more adaptable than humans :)

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its good to know there are others that have done the name change without problems.......I guess I should have known the he would be OK, since I do have nicknames for them.... but guess I wanted to make sure.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.