Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does your doggies name mean? Why did you choose it?

I thought this might be a fun thread.

I'll start

Daisy- Origin English Means- Day's Eye
Daisy is the name given to various members of the Asteraceae plant family, including the Bellis genus that contains the Common Daisy (Bellis perennis), the Leucanthemum genus including the Oxeye Daisy, and the Gebera genus.

We chose Daisy because she was dainty and beautiful with a streak of prissy-ness. We also didn't realize it was such a popular name for pups. Her middle name is Lynn.

Lily- Origin- English Means- Lily

Lily is the name of a flower and is ultimately derived from the Latin word lilium. They are often showy, with a noticeable scent and long stamens. 'Lily' is also used in the names of other plants such as the water lily (Latin name Nymphaeaceae) - which float on the surface of ponds and lakes, and have round leaves or lily pads, Daylilies (Hemerocallis) - named due to their similarity to lilies, and because they open at sunrise and close at sunset, and arum lilies (Araceae) which consist of a large leaf-like hood surrounding a single, central spadix or spike. The calla lily is another member of the araceae family.

We chose Lily's name to continue the flower theme. Her middle name is May because my mother was born in May.

Roxy- Origin- Persian Means- Star, bright, dawn
Roxy is named after a feisty character on Lifetime's Army Wives. Her middle name is Jane- my husband's favorite character in the Twilight movies.

Riley- Origin- English Means- Rye Clearing

We named her Riley to continue the "R" theme. We also considered Ruby but we wanted another pup with 5 letters in her name. Riley is also a main character in the 3rd Twilight movie. Her middle name is Kay. It was chosen because we already had middles names that started with J,L,M so we used the K to continue the sequence.

All names meanings from: Baby Name Quick Search: Name Meanings at Baby Names World

·
Registered
26 Posts
My husband named our first dog Bosco - after the chocolate syrup because his brindle coloring was the mixture of the browns ...

We just rescued a little girl a week ago and we named her Coco - after cocoa, in keeping with the brown/choco theme!

Kat

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thats a very interesting idea!!!

Maisie - Origin: Gaelic. Meaning: Pet form of Mairead, the Scottish Gaelic form of Margaret.
Maisie was already named by her breeder, as its part of her KC name, and as it was a cute name I decided not to change it.

Pippi - Origin: Greek. Meaning: Lover of horses.
Thats quite creepy because Pip does ride ponys - If you put her on their back she will sit there with perfect balance in walk and in a slow trot! She was named Pippi because when I got her her name was Poppy and I HATE that name for her - it just doesnt suit her at all. About an hour after I got her I was watching Pippi Longstocking which is one of my favorite films, so I just changed her name to that. It was close enough to Poppy for her to respond to it, but different enough for me to like it!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Took me forever to find Shayley & Kizzie's name's with the RIGHT spelling :foxes15: but I did find one for Shay and a couple for Kizzie but they were all different.

SHAYLEY -- Meaning: Its source is Seaghdha, a Gaelic name meaning "Admirable."
KIZZIE --Meaning: Its source is a Hebrew expression meaning "Cassia tree."
Also Meaning: Cinnamon-like bark
Also Meaning: Spice Tree

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is gaelic for muddy place. HA! That fits him perfectly. He's all boy and loves to play outside. How interesting and funny.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I didn't name Lavender and planned to change her name, but after meeting her, decided not to. It fits her. Lavender is a color, of course, and a fragrant flowering plant. The fragrance is soothing and calming, which also fits my girl. She is very quiet and calm. I have read that there is a color of Chihuahua that is called lavender, but don't have any idea if someone thought my Lavender was that color, perhaps when she was born.

My Bichon boy, Cosmo, was very sad and depressed after we lost my Bichon girl, Lacy, in July, so I began looking for a little girl dog to complete our family. Lavender was needing a home and I fell in love with her at first sight. She fit right in and has been very good for Cosmo and me. We will always miss Lacy, but Lavender is a happy little girl and we are glad to have her. She's a sweetheart and we love her tons and tons.

Jeanette and Cosmo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cookie- a yummy snack! I named her Cookie when I was 7 years old, I thought that he colors [the black, and bits of brown and white] sort of looked like a chocolate-chip cookie. Her middle name is Anita, after my middle name, and my grandmother's first name.

Peanut- a nut. I named him Peanut becuase of how small he was, and his color was perfect. his middle name is Don Carlos because my friend thought it would make him sound more fierce... Peanut Don Carlos. lol! when he doesn't listen, and i call him by his first and middle name, he knows he's about to be in trouble.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Teddy was named Teddy because he looked so much like a little fluffly teddy bear!

I had all these posh names ready to call him but he looked so much like a teddy that it had to be that name

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey: Greek Origin Meaning Life

Zoey's breeder had originally named her Zola (means lump of earth) but I had always like the name Zoey for a tiny dog, so we changed it to Zoey and couldn't have named her more appropriately :) Hopefully her name will give her a long long long long one :)

Shellie: English From the Sloping Field
We had a client who lost a golden retriever named Shellie, whom found her almost 4 years later, Shellie came to us named Lily but it just didn't fit so we named her Shellie since it sounded like Lily.

Ziva: Hebrew Brilliance, Brightness
We loved NCIS and Ziva is one of my favorite characters, so that's where Ziva got her name, LOVE the meaning of it and fits her well, she is very smart and always bright & happy.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Draco is the latin word for Dragon and also a constellation in the northern sky. He is my little dragon boy. If I ever get to have a little girl, I plan on calling her Cassie for the constellation Cassiopeia.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hehe so fun to read!

Sundae
: Because her face looked like Neapolitan ice cream to me when she was tiny tiny. Now she looks like a carmel sundae haha!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
NaNa is a street name in ThaiLand....we just love the way they said it on the sky train in ThaiLand...

TucTuc is the moto bike that they use in Thailand..:)...

MoJie is combined names of me and my BF...:)..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Gretel: A Pearl.

I knew the instant I saw her as a baby she was meant for me and the name Gretel just popped in my head, Almost cartoon-like with the lightbulb going off. Nothing preplanned, I just came home one day and said we're getting a dog, her name is Gretel she comes home next week and that was that, my perfect little pearl.
Nicknames: Gee, Geezer, Gettles.

Godric: Power of God.

Don't tell him this, he's our resident bully! He must think he has manifest destiny over the sofa! This one was a bit premeditated as we're big big True Blood fans and Godric was a favourite when we were pup browsing, I think it fits him as he's getting older though.
Nicknames: G

Not sure if anyone else is like us, our dogs have many nicknames they answer to and they know which one is theirs.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
**Dahlia**

Dahlia is a genus of bushy, tuberous, perennial plants native to Mexico,
Central America, and Colombia. There are at least 36 species of dahlia.
Dahlia hybrids are commonly grown as garden plants.

My mom always had huge old Dahlia plants in the backyard.
I loved them and named my babygirl after them.
When I say Dahlia I remember the flowers.
And when I remember the flowers,I remember my mom.
My mom was beautiful too.She looked like Loretta Young
with long, natural, dark red hair.Its a secret tribute.......
until now :).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Jadzia Dax, Jadzia for short, named after one of my favorite characters on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Kira Nerys, Kira for short, named after another favorite character on DS9.

The character Jadzia Dax has spots and my Jadzia has spots.
The character Kira Nerys has ridges on her nose, my Kira doesn't have ridges on her nose of course but she does have a larger nose than Jadzia.
We had planned on naming the girls Jadzia and Kira before we got them so I always just find it funny that those two little things worked out the way they did.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Mateo means 'Gift of God'
His full name is Mateo Galano Dulce - Galano means 'handsome' and Dulce
(sweet) was his mothers name.

Stella is short for ' Constellation ', at least thats how I intended it.
I'm sure the name it self means 'star'.

Lola was named after the famous race car. She has a vivid black 'racing strip'
down her back, and the name came instantly when I held her the first time.

Joie just means ' Ayyy, I'm Joie ! '
His pre-rescue name was Jojo, but that wasn't a proper name for him.
Joie fits him to a T. He's a man's man. Or a dog's dog. :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
**Dahlia**

Dahlia is a genus of bushy, tuberous, perennial plants native to Mexico,
Central America, and Colombia. There are at least 36 species of dahlia.
Dahlia hybrids are commonly grown as garden plants.

My mom always had huge old Dahlia plants in the backyard.
I loved them and named my babygirl after them.
When I say Dahlia I remember the flowers.
And when I remember the flowers,I remember my mom.
My mom was beautiful too.She looked like Loretta Young
with long, natural, dark red hair.Its a secret tribute.......
until now :).
That was nice Rhonda....how special memories are....:)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Other than Laurel (who hubby had long before he met me), our chis have "themed" names related to guns...we have...

Little Annie (Oakley)
LPL's Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (Trigger) aka the Trigger fish.
Bryco (brand of gun...reg'd name: (kennel name) Not For Kids...b'c the gun brand wenet out of business in the early 00's when a young boy shot his friend with an inaptly safety-equipped gun).

Laurel doesn't really quite fit in, but the rest will all have gun names in the first line too.
It's hub's compromise for having chis instead of GSD's or something lol.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The minute I saw Ivy, I knew she needed a name that suited her delicate features. So the name Ivy was perfect. The I wanted to keep the whole plant thing going, hence Willow, then Fern:)

Lori

1 - 20 of 47 Posts